Paris - Seine River Dinner Cruise

klfrodo

Wife and I are spending 8 days in London prior to our cruise out of Southampton.

I've decided that since Paris is only a 2-hour train ride away, why not do an overnight in Paris.

Already have the Eurostar and hotel in Paris booked.

Looking for recommendations for a dinner cruise on the Seine. Ambience is more important than price.

We are staying in the 8th Arrondissement if that makes any difference, but riding the metro is a part of the experience.

• Like 1

Just a word of warning to avoid disappointment: When the water of the Seine is low, which it is most of the time, you basically see quite a lot of the walls of the river and not that much of scenery or sights.

Of course it can still be a lovely experience.

Do not expect the best of French food on a cruise. Also, you could miss seeing a lot of details because you are busy with dinner. Why not take a cruise and enjoy the sights and then go to a wonderful dinner? Double the ambiance and much better food.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marazul said:

Do not expect the best of French food on a cruise. Also, you could miss seeing a lot of details because you are busy with dinner. Why not take a cruise and enjoy the sights and then go to a wonderful dinner? Double the ambiance and much better food.

Thank you but I don’t believe that comes close to answering the question.

13 hours ago, marazul said:

To answer the question.  All river cruises are the same and will serve similar food. Pick any.

After sleeping on it over night, I realized that my earlier response was rude and uncalled for. For that, I humbly apologize but let me share with you where I was coming from.

From early childhood and elementary school, I have dreamed of traveling and seeing more of the world. From movies and pictures, I've always been intrigued by Paris and the hint of romance that the City of Light offers.

I've only got 24 to 36 hours in Paris, so I attempted to knock out 2 birds with 1 stone. Cruise by the wonderful sights of Paris at night and have a romantic dinner with my wife of 33 years.

Very rarely do our dreams match up with reality, but this was a bucket list item, and in 4 sentences you tried to destroy this dream. 

You could have said that after living here or having visited here, I would recommend XYZ. But No. You told me the food is terrible, the sightlines are horrible and you're wasting your time. (You're probably correct on all accounts. Reality rarely matches a dream)

I live in the Seattle area here in the States and traveled deep into Alaska for work many times for 20 years. From my experience, if you tell me that you did an Alaska cruise, so you can check Alaska off you're bucket list would be like me saying I changed planes in Istanbul, therefore, I've been to Turkey. This would be true and very false at the same time. I would never discourage someone from checking off bucket list items. However, if they asked if I had other suggestions, then, I might politely provide tell them that I would highly recommend they follow-up the cruise with a side trip to Denali if at all possible. This way you get a better understanding what Alaska is.

I wish you the best.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, klfrodo said:

After sleeping on it over night, I realized that my earlier response was rude and uncalled for. For that, I humbly apologize but let me share with you where I was coming from.

From early childhood and elementary school, I have dreamed of traveling and seeing more of the world. From movies and pictures, I've always been intrigued by Paris and the hint of romance that the City of Light offers.

I've only got 24 to 36 hours in Paris, so I attempted to knock out 2 birds with 1 stone. Cruise by the wonderful sights of Paris at night and have a romantic dinner with my wife of 33 years.

Very rarely do our dreams match up with reality, but this was a bucket list item, and in 4 sentences you tried to destroy this dream. 

You could have said that after living here or having visited here, I would recommend XYZ. But No. You told me the food is terrible, the sightlines are horrible and you're wasting your time. (You're probably correct on all accounts. Reality rarely matches a dream)

I live in the Seattle area here in the States and traveled deep into Alaska for work many times for 20 years. From my experience, if you tell me that you did an Alaska cruise, so you can check Alaska off you're bucket list would be like me saying I changed planes in Istanbul, therefore, I've been to Turkey. This would be true and very false at the same time. I would never discourage someone from checking off bucket list items. However, if they asked if I had other suggestions, then, I might politely provide tell them that I would highly recommend they follow-up the cruise with a side trip to Denali if at all possible. This way you get a better understanding what Alaska is.

I wish you the best.

Well, I have been to Alaska and also gone to Denali, so I am ok there. 😉

I have also lived in France and travel there often.

I have also been to Seattle several times.

I realize you are impatient and wanted to achieve a dream, but you misread what I said.  What I actually said is: 

1) "Do not expect the best of French food on a cruise." That is, the food in those cruises is not what you would expect in a fine French restaurant, not that it was terrible. (It's like going to Seattle and having dinner in the Space needle. There is much better food in Seattle.)

2) "Also, you could miss seeing a lot of details because you are busy with dinner." That means the sightlines are fine, but you will be distracted while eating and might not get the full experience of a cruise. 

3)  "Why not take a cruise and enjoy the sights and then go to a wonderful dinner?" I did not say you would be wasting your time.  I suggested you do both, take the cruise first and enjoy the experience and then go to a fine restaurant. The cruise (without a meal) takes 1 hour. Plenty of time to go to a restaurant afterwards.

You chose to read my suggestions as a dream destroyer.  I saw them as a dream enhancer.

You said "ambience is more important than price."  For magnificent French food and an amazing romantic experience, look at the Jules Verne restaurant on the Eiffel tower.  

https://www.restaurants-toureiffel.com/en/jules-verne-restaurant.html

In fact, you can get on one of the cruises near the Eiffel tower and you would be really close at the end to go up for your reservation. Here is the location of the Port de Suffren pier:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Port+de+Suffren,+75007+Paris,+France/@48.8583584,2.2948685,16z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x47e6701d7de603f3:0x9b7660da10b073f8!8m2!3d48.8580476!4d2.2906805?hl=en

Apologies accepted. 

Edited by marazul
  • Thanks 1

I must agree with Marazul.  Paris/Seine cruises are fine and there are many options.  You can do it day or night.  But most of the popular dinner cruises do not have particularly outstanding food.  You are in a city where even small local cafes can have amazing food, so why settle for overpriced mediocre banquet food on a boat.  You can enjoy an outstanding dinner and a wonderful river cruise, but not so sure the two go together.

I will admit to being curious about the Restaurant Ducasse sur Seine dinner cruise )ONLY 265 Euros including drinks per person)  but do not know anyone who has done this particular dinner cruise so will not make a recommendation.  The fact that Alain Ducasse has lent his name to this endeavor gives it some credibility.  Whether this is truly a decent meal (and cruise) or just one more tourist trap Bateau Marche is a question that can only be answered by some real reviews.

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I must agree with Marazul.  Paris/Seine cruises are fine and there are many options.  You can do it day or night.  But most of the popular dinner cruises do not have particularly outstanding food.  You are in a city where even small local cafes can have amazing food, so why settle for overpriced mediocre banquet food on a boat.  You can enjoy an outstanding dinner and a wonderful river cruise, but not so sure the two go together.

I will admit to being curious about the Restaurant Ducasse sur Seine dinner cruise )ONLY 265 Euros including drinks per person)  but do not know anyone who has done this particular dinner cruise so will not make a recommendation.  The fact that Alain Ducasse has lent his name to this endeavor gives it some credibility.  Whether this is truly a decent meal (and cruise) or just one more tourist trap Bateau Marche is a question that can only be answered by some real reviews.

Hank

Hadn't heard about Ducasse-sur-Seine. Hank, why don't you volunteer and check it out? I will follow on your footsteps.😁

But for that kind of $, you can't go wrong with the Jules Verne.

3 hours ago, marazul said:

Hadn't heard about Ducasse-sur-Seine. Hank, why don't you volunteer and check it out? I will follow on your footsteps.😁

But for that kind of $, you can't go wrong with the Jules Verne.

We will not be in Paris this Spring/Summer so no chance to check it out.  For many years we had a great source of information (a high end Antwerp Jeweler who spent a lot of time in Paris, was a true gourmet, and made it his life's work to discover the up and coming Parisian chefs and restaurants.  Unfortunately, he is no longer with us and his amazing tips are no more.  Now, we have to rely on our own instincts and various tips.  We tend to avoid the well-known places (like Jules Verne) and seek out the lesser-known places working very hard to please.  

I will admit that Jules Verne certainly has one of the great restaurant locations in the entire world.

Hank

@klfrodo At the risk of also sounding like a dream destroyer (dramatic much?), I can only add that we did a dinner cruise on the Seine a few years ago and were very disappointed. Because it is dark outside and lighter inside the boat, what you mainly see are the dark river banks and then some bright lights from above blaring down so that you cannot actually see what is illuminated, only the lights themselves.

To sum up, the food was not terrible, but you are served communally on a boat that is, shall we say, not exactly decorated like the MDR on a ship. Not romantic, by any stretch. The views were terrible, no way to sugar coat it.

You've received some other good suggestions. If I were planning the same trip again, knowing what I know now, I would opt for a twilight cruise on the river and dinner at a good restaurant.

Edited by cruisemom42

I can only agree with previous posters. The Seine dinner cruises are very much aimed at tourists and although the food will be adequate, I suspect that won't be what you're looking for. As the others have said, do the cruise and the dinner separately.

And FYI, we used to live in France and have visited Paris countless times - so I do know what I'm talking about!🙂

Edited by Korimako
Spelling

I did a Seine dinner cruise on Le Calife several years ago and enjoyed it very much.  I remember the food being good and the sights were terrific at night.  It's an older, smaller boat . Charming.  I wouldn't go specially for the food but I wouldn't let it dissuade you either.  We went very close to the Eiffel Tower as the lights were twinkling and it was magic.

On 2/21/2023 at 11:47 AM, klfrodo said:

Looking for recommendations for a dinner cruise on the Seine. Ambience is more important than price.

Take the dinner cruise. I'd say maybe check the tide charts to see what time hide tide might be when you'll be there, but otherwise, tbh I couldn't tell you how high or low the tide was when I took my Seine cruise (first Paris visit, gone sooo many times) and nearly didn't take the cruise, but got coaxed into it.

I remember everything else, including getting dunked on from a bridge by some local kids who were having fun pouring stuff onto the boats. Why not? It was funny and it wasn't anything nefarious. 

It was beautiful, I could see things (I am NOT tall) and ultimately very glad I was convinced to go. It was evening and gorgeous.

Maybe the ONLY thing that would give me pause is whether or not the boat was enclosed? Is there enough outside space? Sometimes if the glass is too reflective, it can be difficult to see out when it's dark, however there are bright lights along the river bank that illuminate most of the prominent landmarks, and just in general. If there's nice weather, it's nice to be outdoors, and also to be able to listen to them describe what you're passing by (not all of the structures are as obvious for their history)

But otherwise, and I completely understand and respect (💙) why our legendary, illustrious community members have smartly recommended advised as they have. I'd say stick with your plan. Splitting the cruise and dinner will add extra time, planning, and navigating to your already brief amount of time in the city. I think what makes the most sense here is consolidating and compromising: it will be a decent meal (not an exciting menu, typical french 3 course plat du jour sort of menu) in a spectacular setting. And that's perfectly fine.

If you wanted Michelin level, we could each send our ideas, or a hidden gem. But that means going somewhere else in the city, making a reservation and, it can and probably will take more time to get through the meal...usually a pleasure, but not if you've got a limited amount of time. It's an amazing experience, but that means you'd have to eliminate something else. Why cut stuff from a bucket list trip?

Again, these worldly, wise, and wonderful travelers are not wrong, we'd be lost without their invaluable contributions on these boards!! 👏 My perspective is as a person who has traveled (often solo) and likewise fit in/lived as a local (and native of one of the biggest tourist cities in the world, so I see both sides) there are times when practicality and enjoyment do merge without disaster or disappointment: I have experienced this, and as well enjoyed many unexpected, wonderful surprises along the way. Paris is even lovely when it rains, so I wouldn't worry about that. 

I've even become a sucker for the Circle Line in NYC at sunset. Started going with any visiting friends and came to love it. I've done two HoHos as well, in London and Berlin. London because of the size/layout: I needed to visualize the zones before I could start my wandering. Berlin: it did not look so much different from after the war, from the wall and the East, with rebuilding construction everywhere: I had no hardhat in my bag. 

On 2/21/2023 at 11:47 AM, klfrodo said:

We are staying in the 8th Arrondissement if that makes any difference, but riding the metro is a part of the experience.

I've always liked the 8th though I haven't stayed there (but didn't avoid it for any reason)... I stayed in lots of different arrondissments, there's something about walking in parts of the 8th that is lovely–always went there for a stroll.

As is riding the metro, and you can work it into your plans to jump on certain lines, many are quite cool though not necessarily convenient, if you list where you plan to go, we can talk about using the metro (also a time saver on your visit) but you do want to see above ground. 

Without knowing your sightseeing, I'd say the 7 line (pink) Opéra, direction Mairie d'Ivry, the entrance at Opéra Garnier is recognizable in so many films and television shows. You could then transfer from the 7 to the 6 line (light green) at La Motte Picquet Grenelle, direction Charles De Gaulle Étoille, bringing you to the Arc de Triomphe and the Champs Élysées, after crossing on the Bir-Hakeim bridge (stop Champs du Mars, the park across from the Eiffel Tower and within sight of Les Invalides), where at this point the metro is above ground...just a different perspective, and you've had a quick circuit through the Left Bank. Also important to note that there is not much time between metro stops, so mind the stations!

With all this said, who knows, maybe you'll feel like so many of us have after visiting Paris and get drawn back again and again. And again, the info above is spot on: but I think what you want will work out fine. 

It has its way with you, the city does...you won't even realize it's happening. 😉 

Super excited for your first trip to Paris...it'll be unforgettable. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/9/2023 at 5:15 PM, Host Bonjour said:

Take the dinner cruise. I'd say maybe check the tide charts to see what time hide tide might be when you'll be there, but otherwise, tbh I couldn't tell you how high or low the tide was when I took my Seine cruise (first Paris visit, gone sooo many times) and nearly didn't take the cruise, but got coaxed into it.

I remember everything else, including getting dunked on from a bridge by some local kids who were having fun pouring stuff onto the boats. Why not? It was funny and it wasn't anything nefarious. 

It was beautiful, I could see things (I am NOT tall) and ultimately very glad I was convinced to go. It was evening and gorgeous.

Maybe the ONLY thing that would give me pause is whether or not the boat was enclosed? Is there enough outside space? Sometimes if the glass is too reflective, it can be difficult to see out when it's dark, however there are bright lights along the river bank that illuminate most of the prominent landmarks, and just in general. If there's nice weather, it's nice to be outdoors, and also to be able to listen to them describe what you're passing by (not all of the structures are as obvious for their history)

But otherwise, and I completely understand and respect (💙) why our legendary, illustrious community members have smartly recommended advised as they have. I'd say stick with your plan. Splitting the cruise and dinner will add extra time, planning, and navigating to your already brief amount of time in the city. I think what makes the most sense here is consolidating and compromising: it will be a decent meal (not an exciting menu, typical french 3 course plat du jour sort of menu) in a spectacular setting. And that's perfectly fine.

If you wanted Michelin level, we could each send our ideas, or a hidden gem. But that means going somewhere else in the city, making a reservation and, it can and probably will take more time to get through the meal...usually a pleasure, but not if you've got a limited amount of time. It's an amazing experience, but that means you'd have to eliminate something else. Why cut stuff from a bucket list trip?

Again, these worldly, wise, and wonderful travelers are not wrong, we'd be lost without their invaluable contributions on these boards!! 👏 My perspective is as a person who has traveled (often solo) and likewise fit in/lived as a local (and native of one of the biggest tourist cities in the world, so I see both sides) there are times when practicality and enjoyment do merge without disaster or disappointment: I have experienced this, and as well enjoyed many unexpected, wonderful surprises along the way. Paris is even lovely when it rains, so I wouldn't worry about that. 

I've even become a sucker for the Circle Line in NYC at sunset. Started going with any visiting friends and came to love it. I've done two HoHos as well, in London and Berlin. London because of the size/layout: I needed to visualize the zones before I could start my wandering. Berlin: it did not look so much different from after the war, from the wall and the East, with rebuilding construction everywhere: I had no hardhat in my bag. 

I've always liked the 8th though I haven't stayed there (but didn't avoid it for any reason)... I stayed in lots of different arrondissments, there's something about walking in parts of the 8th that is lovely–always went there for a stroll.

As is riding the metro, and you can work it into your plans to jump on certain lines, many are quite cool though not necessarily convenient, if you list where you plan to go, we can talk about using the metro (also a time saver on your visit) but you do want to see above ground. 

Without knowing your sightseeing, I'd say the 7 line (pink) Opéra, direction Mairie d'Ivry, the entrance at Opéra Garnier is recognizable in so many films and television shows. You could then transfer from the 7 to the 6 line (light green) at La Motte Picquet Grenelle, direction Charles De Gaulle Étoille, bringing you to the Arc de Triomphe and the Champs Élysées, after crossing on the Bir-Hakeim bridge (stop Champs du Mars, the park across from the Eiffel Tower and within sight of Les Invalides), where at this point the metro is above ground...just a different perspective, and you've had a quick circuit through the Left Bank. Also important to note that there is not much time between metro stops, so mind the stations!

With all this said, who knows, maybe you'll feel like so many of us have after visiting Paris and get drawn back again and again. And again, the info above is spot on: but I think what you want will work out fine. 

It has its way with you, the city does...you won't even realize it's happening. 😉 

Super excited for your first trip to Paris...it'll be unforgettable. 

Sorry to quote your long post, but I’m going to be in Paris for five nights, two of them on my own and staying in Montoarnasse area. I would love restaurant suggestions, doesn’t have to be Michelin star because I’m going to be meeting my son and daughter-in-law and six and eight year old granddaughter’s, but we do love good food and fun restaurants and great experiences. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! 

Host Bonjour, I’d love to know the hidden gem restaurants in Paris! I’m staying in the Montparnasse area. I will also be there 2 evenings on my own, any suggestions for places for single dining? 

For OP:

While I suspect this is too late for the planned trip, I offer our experience:

We took a dinner cruise (Bateaux Mouches) over 30 years ago and still speak of the experience. Going under many bridges (all greeted with a toast); seeing fellow diners eat shrimp with head, legs etc intact (never knew nor wanted to try) and a finale with a range of the most pungent cheeses imaginable. 

Travel is all about exposure to the new and different that in time may become the familiar and comfortable. You will not know unless you try.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2023 at 4:36 PM, marazul said:

Can I LOVE this?  One 'dinner cruise on laSeine' is enough for anyone, and no dinner cruise is better.  The cruise is something that everyone has to do once, of course.  But enjoy it for itself and dine elsewhere.  I recommend cruising during daylight.  

• Like 1