Balcony Music

Ipeeinthepools

Approximately 15 years ago, I encountered a similar problem while sailing on the Oosterdam.  The residents of that particular stateroom liked to entertain on their balcony.  I should also mention that several of the invited guests were continually smoking.  The combination of loud "music" and cigarette smoke did not fit with our ideals of pleasant traveling.  We reported the problem to guest services.  To make a long story short, our neighbour agreed to turn down the volume of the "music."  Smoking was still permitted.  Needless to say, we were not able to enjoy our balcony while these inconsiderate people were partying.  Thankfully, today's cruising does not tolerate smoking.  Loud music persists, however.  You're right.  It sucks!

2 minutes ago, VaCruzers said:

Yes, and even worse just LOUD CONVERSATIONS that fellow passengers are not interested in hearing. 

I was on the Celebrity Equinox last year and there was a couple on the balcony next to us that were performing some kind of religious ceremony; something about getting closer to God. 😳

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, RedneckBob said:

I was on the Celebrity Equinox last year and there was a couple on the balcony next to us that were performing some kind of religious ceremony; something about getting closer to God. 😳

Cowards if they didn't go overboard.

• Haha 3

I think that it is disrespectful to play ANY private music where others can hear it.  Especially on balconies!

In the past, we have had music, smokers, coughers (constantly hacking or blowing their noses), cell talkers, partyers, and conversationalist.   The older generation is so bad because they yell at each other to be heard.

The worse balcony offender, to date, that we have encountered was the man next door talking loudly on his phone.  I could hear his entire conversation to his bank, complete with account numbers, etc.  

Perhaps passengers do not know how much sound travels among those balconies.  When my husband and I are out on ours, we are either napping, reading, or having a glass of wine.  If we need to say something to each other, we whisper quietly.  Normally we try not to talk.

I say if you want to party with music, do so in the public areas!!!  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

I think that it is disrespectful to play ANY private music where others can hear it.  Especially on balconies!

In the past, we have had music, smokers, coughers (constantly hacking or blowing their noses), cell talkers, partyers, and conversationalist.   The older generation is so bad because they yell at each other to be heard.

The worse balcony offender, to date, that we have encountered was the man next door talking loudly on his phone.  I could hear his entire conversation to his bank, complete with account numbers, etc.  

Perhaps passengers do not know how much sound travels among those balconies.  When my husband and I are out on ours, we are either napping, reading, or having a glass of wine.  If we need to say something to each other, we whisper quietly.  Normally we try not to talk.

I say if you want to party with music, do so in the public areas!!!  

So what do you do?  Confront your neighbor or just give up and go inside?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

In the past, we have had music, smokers, coughers (constantly hacking or blowing their noses), cell talkers, partyers, and conversationalist. 

And don't forget the door slammers! Once I can forgive, but there's no excuse to go back and forth, back and forth every 30 seconds.  We've also had neighbors (also on Celebrity) like @RedneckBobhad. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VaCruzers said:

While I am on a roll, I also am annoyed that people leave their balcony light on in the evening when not using the balcony. 

TBH, the first few times I had a balcony, I didn’t realize there was a light switch to turn the balcony light off!  Could be people like me who are oblivious and uninformed. 

I wish I could say I’ve gotten smarter but I don’t think that’s true 😂

Edited by ocean sounds
  • Like 2

Our neighbors on a Celebrity cruise were comprised of parents and their two teenage sons. One son spent the day talking on his cell phone on his balcony. Early in the cruise, he received news that his friend was killed in an accident. I was on my balcony when he broke the news to his mother and when he received other calls from friends commiserating about the tragedy. Needless to say, I did not enjoy my balcony on that cruise. Neither did I call in a complaint to guest services because of the circumstances. 

@RedneckBob We were advised on one cruise that a couple on the previous cruise was arrested in Dominica for having a 'religious experience' on their port-facing balcony while in port. 

Once, we had neighbors who enjoyed playing music on their balcony. Fortunately, for me, they enjoyed the same classic rock that I like.  

39 minutes ago, Marelaine said:

@RedneckBob We were advised on one cruise that a couple on the previous cruise was arrested in Dominica for having a 'religious experience' on their port-facing balcony while in port. 

Wow, that’s hard to believe. Dominica is know as “The Nature Island of the Caribbean.” They were just bonding with nature!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

2 hours ago, Marelaine said:

We were advised on one cruise that a couple on the previous cruise was arrested in Dominica for having a 'religious experience' on their port-facing balcony while in port. 

So far my take away from this thread is...don't book an inside room if your looking to get 'born again'.🙂

• Haha 1

I've played music on my balcony plenty.  Never super loud, and if I hear people in an adjacent balcony I ask if it's too loud.  No one has ever had an issue.  I would have no problem if someone asked me to turn it down.  No, you don't know how far it carries.

I say stick your neck around the balcony divider or wave a hand or something and politely ask.  If they give you a hard time - then go to guest services.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bigbeergut said:

So what do you do?  Confront your neighbor or just give up and go inside?

Really not much you can do unless someone is breaking a rule.  So, yes, we end up going inside.  

If the ocean cannot be heard over the music, then the music is too loud...annoying!

I don't think I would ever tell someone to turn their music down (unless it was kids), but the next time I hear phone conversations, I will have no problem telling someone that I can hear what they are saying.  Even at home, it's amazing what I hear when I am sitting on my porches.  So many of the neighbors today talk to their friends and family the entire time they are out walking.  Many have the phone on speaker mode and hold the phone out in front of them.  I could write a book on the gossip I hear.  😁

Also, when we book a stateroom, we try not to book next to a stateroom that has more than two berths.  That can get difficult because we often do not know what is going to be above and below us.

6 hours ago, Marelaine said:

Our neighbors on a Celebrity cruise were comprised of parents and their two teenage sons. One son spent the day talking on his cell phone on his balcony. Early in the cruise, he received news that his friend was killed in an accident. I was on my balcony when he broke the news to his mother and when he received other calls from friends commiserating about the tragedy. Needless to say, I did not enjoy my balcony on that cruise. Neither did I call in a complaint to guest services because of the circumstances.   

How awful for everyone!!!   

Edited by Iamthesea

On 2/21/2023 at 2:15 PM, Ipeeinthepools said:

I currently have a neighbor that enjoys playing music on the balcony.  Does he really think everyone enjoys his music?  Fortunately this is the first time I’ve encountered this type of problem.  Sucks to be me.

Sorry to hear that you had to endure this type of behavior.

Certainly a major issue without much of a solution.  From other similar threads on CC, it is obvious that some folks just assume that playing their favorite music will make everyone happy.  Some will insist they are not too loud, but the reality of cruise ship balconies is that if you can hear it on your balcony so can most of your neighbors!   It is not much different than smokers who either assume or do not care that their smoke bothers many folks.  

So here is my message to those who play music on their balconies.  Many of us enjoy sitting on a quiet balcony and listening to the quiet sounds of the sea, wind, etc.  Those who want to listen to their own music (I am a music lover) can easily do that by using ear buds, headphones, etc.  These days that is considered proper etiquette for enjoying music in public places.  

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Certainly a major issue without much of a solution.  From other similar threads on CC, it is obvious that some folks just assume that playing their favorite music will make everyone happy.  Some will insist they are not too loud, but the reality of cruise ship balconies is that if you can hear it on your balcony so can most of your neighbors!   It is not much different than smokers who either assume or do not care that their smoke bothers many folks.  

So here is my message to those who play music on their balconies.  Many of us enjoy sitting on a quiet balcony and listening to the quiet sounds of the sea, wind, etc.  Those who want to listen to their own music (I am a music lover) can easily do that by using ear buds, headphones, etc.  These days that is considered proper etiquette for enjoying music in public places.  

Such a simple solution! It's a shame some people are too inconsiderate to do that.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

I don't think I would ever tell someone to turn their music down (unless it was kids), but the next time I hear phone conversations, I will have no problem telling someone that I can hear what they are saying.  Even at home, it's amazing what I hear when I am sitting on my porches.  So many of the neighbors today talk to their friends and family the entire time they are out walking.  Many have the phone on speaker mode and hold the phone out in front of them.  I could write a book on the gossip I hear.  😁

Nothing worse than walking through a store and hearing about someone's gossip.  You do not need to use speaker phone while in a public place.  Put the phone up to your ear or wait until you're alone.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, VermeulT said:

Nothing worse than walking through a store and hearing about someone's gossip.  You do not need to use speaker phone while in a public place.  Put the phone up to your ear or wait until you're alone.

It can be fun to just stop, stand near the person using the speaker phone, listen carefully, and be very obvious.  

Hank

• Like 1
  • Haha 7