Viking Ocean Cruisers and excursions

Usherfam

Hi all,

our group of 4 Australians will be travelling for the first time with Viking Ocean on August 2nd this year from Bergen to New York.

Have done a number of Azamara sailings so really looking to see what Viking has to offer on this spectacular trip.

My question is... We are looking at booking a Golden Circle tour including Secret Lagoon (not ship excursion) in Reykjavik which leaves 1 hour after we are scheduled to arrive at 700am.

From your experience, is this possible to get off the ship within an hour ,assuming its on time???

We are booked in Deluxe Veranda so not top end cabins.

Can you request a quick disembarkation from crew on board?? 

Thanking you in advance

Rob

Your cabin category doesn’t affect what time you can get off the ship. You probably won’t have any trouble, and the tour operator should wait for you because they will be used to dealing with cruise pax. Pre-Covid, however, there were instances on our Viking cruises when Viking booked tours had priority—especially when tendering. But Reykjavik is not a tender port.

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

I-would not worry about getting off. Tour operator will wait. Small ship. Likely easy off.

If they have booked a private car for the four of them, yes, but not if they are booking the GrayLine bus tour. GrayLine has other pick-ups to make and a schedule to keep.

If you are using GrayLine (which we did in 2021), pick-up begins 30 minutes prior to the nominal start time (which means you should be on the dock before 7:30 am).  The question here is if the ship will be cleared for disembarkation in time. I would check with Viking (tellus@vikingcruises.com).

11 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Or if they have booked a tour that is not Grayline (which we did with others on our roll call pre-Covid), contact that the tour and they should be able to work with you.

Yes!  The Tour Operator will make arrangements for you as long as they know all your arrival details.  While there are some total flakes out there, cruise port tour operators are generally very customer-oriented and want you to have a good experience.  They're very interested in becoming an official ship's shore excursion ... that's a gold mine for them.

We’ve used a number of private tours in various countries. I have always I formed them of ship arrival time and that I will disembark as soon as allowed. It’s never been a problem (I haven’t used Grey Hound). Usually these tour company’s already have docking/arrival information, and even know and understand that sometimes there are delays. I also try to never pay in advance, or just a deposit. 

• Like 2