First timer, coming over from NCL w/questions

JGmf

I've read about a month's worth of postings and did searches for most of this, but still need your much appreciated assistance.

For context, I'm sailing the Emerald Princess out of LA on June 17 staying in a suite.

1. I see that the Princess "Medallion Class" app is an integral part of check-in and reservations, but from a person who DOES NOT want to carry his phone around the ship, do I really need it during the cruise?
  2. When can we make dining reservations? 
  3. Can we make dining reservations through the website?
  4. The drink package I bought is for drinks up to $15.  Does that cover most?  Is there a list that provides which alcohol brands it covers

Thank you in advance for your help.

2 minutes ago, JGmf said:

I see that the Princess "Medallion Class" app is an integral part of check-in and reservations, but from a person who DOES NOT want to carry his phone around the ship, do I really need it during the cruise?

No you don't have to carry your phone around.  However it is a nice tool... when the app is working properly, or when the wait staff isn't overwhelmed with bringing "mobile orders" to people, wherever they may be on ship.  Quite a bit of your onboard "management" will occur through the app, but you don't need to carry your phone with you.  Sounds like you have opted for Princess Plus?  If so, just connect your phone to the WiFi at the beginning of the cruise and you can access the app when you get back to your cabin to do reservations, etc.

5 minutes ago, JGmf said:

When can we make dining reservations?

You may be able to now through the Medallion app right now.  But to be honest, I don't find it all that advantageous.  I tend to book my dining reservations on board.  If you are in a full suite (not a mini-suite, mini-suites are poorly named, they are more of an extended deluxe balcony cabin), you have a complimentary specialty restaurant dinner available to you only on embarkation evening.  Just reserve that once you get on board.  Specialty restaurants are generally not busy on embarkation evening, so getting a table shouldn't be an issue.  If you are in a full suite you are also Club Class or Reserve Collection, which means you have a separate dining room entry and seating in the MDR.  Also, as a full suite guest you'll want to look up the suite passenger breakfast.  Often it is in Sabatini's, but could be located elsewhere.  Documentation in your cabin when you embark will invite you to all of the suite dining options and provide clarity.

8 minutes ago, JGmf said:

Can we make dining reservations through the website?

Maybe.  I think there is a link to desktop web site version of the Medallion system when you are logged into Princess.com and in your Cruise Personalizer.  I'd still do all my reserving when I get on board, either through the app or by calling the DineLine from your cabin phone.

12 minutes ago, JGmf said:

The drink package I bought is for drinks up to $15.  Does that cover most?  Is there a list that provides which alcohol brands it covers

It really is price based.  If you ask for a beverage that isn't made from the well, you will have higher prices for that beverage, however so long as it is $15 or less, the beverage is included in the package regardless of the brand of liquor used.  I'd say that most beverages, except for the most extravagant or the most expensive top shelf liquor will be under that $15 level.  I don't have a drink menu to reference, but one may be stored someplace on this site in an old thread.

8 minutes ago, JGmf said:

I've read about a month's worth of postings and did searches for most of this, but still need your much appreciated assistance.

For context, I'm sailing the Emerald Princess out of LA on June 17 staying in a suite.

1. I see that the Princess "Medallion Class" app is an integral part of check-in and reservations, but from a person who DOES NOT want to carry his phone around the ship, do I really need it during the cruise?  No, you do not have to have your phone on you, but it does maximize the experience.  The app allows you to order food and drinks from anywhere on the ship and have them delivered to whatever location your are at.  But without a phone or a tablet, all you will be able to do is order from servers who walk around the public areas, or walk up to bars, or order remotely in your cabin through your interactive TV.  The phone also allows you to find shipmates on the app's deck plan.  And the app allows you to see what events are taking place at a quick glance, and provides a nice ship deck plan with a "You Are Here" feature.  Can be useful for a first-timer.  But no, you don't need your phone.  Your Medallion will act independent of the phone to open your cabin door and allow you to "tap in" your charges.  
  2. When can we make dining reservations?  Since you are in a Suite, you can make your reservations now.  For people who are not in Suites, or are  not Platinum or Elite, they must wait until after Final Payment.  (And just to be clear, Mini-Suites are not treated as "Suites" for this (or any other) purpose.)  
  3. Can we make dining reservations through the website?  No, (and yes).  You make your reservations via the app on your phone.  But if you log in to your Personalizer Page on the web, you will be able to access the web-based version of the app by logging in to your account and connecting your Booking Number.  It functions the same as the app, but honestly, using the app on your phone is faster and easier.
  4. The drink package I bought is for drinks up to $15.  Does that cover most?  Is there a list that provides which alcohol brands it covers That is a bit of an unknown as of today.  Princess is in the process of converting over to a "New" version of Plus and Premier which allow for drinks up to $15. (Up until now it has been $12) The general assumption is that prices will go up, so what used to be $15 may soon be $17 or more.  Need to wait on that.  But be aware that the $15 is not a "hard cap."  You can order an $18 drink even if your package only goes to $15.  Your account will be charged the $3 difference plus tax.  If you have your heart set on that $18 Scotch, you can have it.  For $3 + tax.

Thank you in advance for your help.

See above in red.

We only use the app to fill out information for getting on board

You also use it to order your medallion which you use to open your cabin door andvto find folks on board

You can use it to make dinner reservations and get a boarding time

We don't use the phone app on board My husband doesn't even have a phone!

We didn't use either for our phones last Oct. I did everything on the web in our booking. Haven't been in a suite since the medallion cruising became the norm. We only used the medallion to get in the cabin and for drinks etc. No worries if you want something I've the 15.00 they just bill you the difference. 

We also travel in suites on NCL you will see a little difference. Breakfast on Princess is in a specialty dining venue, lunch and dinner has the club class area in one of the MDRs. Not sure if you need arrival time being in a suite, we generally have Princess transfers and check in when the bus drops us off. Also platinum so that helps sometime as well.

Enjoy your suite haven't sail on this ship yet but Princess has a good product, was better before but still good.

You are in a suite:

You will have a complimentary embarkation dinner at a specialty restaurant of your choice (Crown Grill or Sabatini's). Some have been able to make this reservation ahead of time. Others (me) are not as lucky.  Just do it once you board.

You will have breakfast at a designated specialty restaurant.  Most have been able to order anything (within reason) off the menu.  Just speak to the Assistant Manager for special requests.

You will have Club Class Dining.  It is a section of the Main Dining Room.  You walk in, you are almost always seated immediately.  Sometimes, there may be a short wait. 

You may order dinner off the MDR menu to be delivered to your stateroom.  You may also have afternoon tea service on sea days, but will need to call Room Service ahead of time.

When you call for a reservation for a specialty restaurant, your SUITE number appears on the DINE line.  They generally try to fit you in at your requested time.

You will also get a mini-bar you can exchange out, 2 bottles of water daily, and Express Laundry (same day service if out by 9 AM).

There are a few more perks that others will be happy to share with you.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your courteous assistance.  I really appreciate it.

Um, I think I did a stupid thing yesterday.  I logged-in and used the web version of their app to make dining reservations at Sabatini and the Crown(?).  Ended up getting charged for it; and was suprised as I thought I got these meals b/c I bought the Plus package.  I guess I need to speak to guest services when I get on the ship....

{On NCL you make dining reservations and they settle on how you pay when you actually get to the restaurant}.

1 minute ago, JGmf said:

Thank you all for your courteous assistance.  I really appreciate it.

Um, I think I did a stupid thing yesterday.  I logged-in and used the web version of their app to make dining reservations at Sabatini and the Crown(?).  Ended up getting charged for it; and was suprised as I thought I got these meals b/c I bought the Plus package.  I guess I need to speak to guest services when I get on the ship....

{On NCL you make dining reservations and they settle on how you pay when you actually get to the restaurant}.

The Plus Package does not include Specialty Dining.  But the Premiere Package does.  If you do that math and you think that Premier will be better for you, you can cancel your dining reservations on the app and you will get a full refund fairly quickly.  Then you can call to upgrade from Plus to Premier and then make new reservations.  Once you do that, you should see that you are not being charged for them.  

2 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

The Plus Package does not include Specialty Dining.  But the Premiere Package does.  If you do that math and you think that Premier will be better for you, you can cancel your dining reservations on the app and you will get a full refund fairly quickly.  Then you can call to upgrade from Plus to Premier and then make new reservations.  Once you do that, you should see that you are not being charged for them.  

But embarkation dinner is automatic. We just Cale the dine line to arrange time. On the rare occasion we don’t like the times they offer we just go to the venue and get things changed they will not turn away a full suite passenger

Thanks @JimmyVWine for the advice on the Premiere package.  I have to do more cost/benefit to see if it's worth it for my group of 3.

Er, also, I did book my embarkation dinner in Sabatini's on the web version of the app (and paid).  That's a freebie meal as I've learned b/c we're staying in a suite....and perhaps it's b/c I'm staying in a suite, they let me make the reservation so early (and prior to final payment)!  I'm not sure, however, b/c Princess is totally new to us.