Wine Tasting

pappy1022

I’ve read in some posts about wine tasting on Regent cruises where there is an opportunity to taste the available included wines and also some specialty wines for an up charge. When and where does that normally happen (I would assume early in the cruise) and how do you sign up to participate in that activity?  

There is usually a tasting of the included wines on the first sea day which you can just turn up to (at approx 10:30/45am - not sure what happens if there aren't any sea days 😁) and a wine tasting lunch which includes 5 or so of the speciality wines which costs $169 each. I recommend signing up for this with your sommelier at lunch as you board as it is usually oversubscribed.

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 1

We did the wine tasting on the first sea day of Cape Town-Cape Town  You could easily walk by and not see it if you weren't looking for it.

It was very nice and informative.  Someone commented that there were no South African wines.  It was explained that the wines in the tasting are a standard set that are always available on all the Regent ships as part of included wines.  We found some nice wines and later on in the cruise, I ordered one I liked and no problem at all, it showed up.

3 hours ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

MJ,

Were South African wines available? I think they touted in the recent Society Pages, that they do stock South African wines in that part of the world.

Martha

For the wine tasting there were no South African Wines.  The Sommelier said the tasting was for wines that are common on all the ships and basically would always be available.  The South African wines may not be consistently available on all the ships.

Yes, there were South African wines onboard that were included, just not at the tasting.

• Like 1

We will be on a Mariner transatlantic cruise in September and would like to attend the wine lunch that you pay for. Is it possible to sign up for the wine lunch on embankment day other than directly with a sommelier (eg reception)?  As always appreciate advice from the more experienced Regent cruisers!

We just recently did the wine lunch on the Splendor. I don't think you can sign up for this before boarding, but if you know you want to do this for sure, ask for the head sommelier at dinner your first night. They will advise you to when it will be and you'll be put on the list to receive an invitation  sent to your cabin with dates, price, etc. Then sign up immediately as it sells out fast! Well worth the cost (in our opinion) and lots of fun!

We had lunch in the buffet when we boarded.  Our wine server gave us the information about the Wine Tasting.  We said we wanted to do it and she filled out the paperwork and billed our room.  Our friends tried to sign up the next day and it was full.  I believe any bar person can sign you up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1