Tipping

billylen

3 hours ago, Cayman1 said:

While I understand both sides to this, it seems that more and more cruise lines are raising tips overall, yet decreasing some service. I feel everyone should be tipped if they are deserving, but I also feel the cruise lines are using the customers to gain/retain employees by this, all at the customers expense, thus we are paying a portion of their increased salaries. As with everything related to inflation, it all falls back on the end consumer to absorb in some sort or way.

Everything that you pay to the cruise line for your cruise is YOU PAYING FOR THE COMPANY'S COSTS.  Crew costs are just one more thing.

Call it cruise fare, call it gratuities, call it a service fee, call is blorkmukkifuz.  You are taking a cruise and you are paying for your cruise.  Names don't matter.

Bottom line:  pay the autogratuities.  Tip or don't tip more.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Carnival Cheerleader said:

I believe they are only cutting back cabin service on one test ship. If they do decide to take it fleet wide I will do the same as I do on Carnival and remove half of the portion of the cabin steward's gratuities since he/she is now only doing half the work (for me).

The test is over. Once a day service is being rolled out fleetwide.

Edited by DallasGuy75219

50 minutes ago, Carnival Cheerleader said:

Do you realize most people don't really care about how a server "may" need to split the tips they received? It's not our job to care or worry about how a restaurant decides to operate it's business.

Do you realize most cruisers understand that paying gratuities to be pooled among the crew is a reality of cruising and aren't so cheap as to stiff the crew out of the tips they depend on for their wages?

They say don't eat out if you can't afford to or are too cheap to tip.  Well don't cruise if you can't afford to or are to cheap to pay the suggested autogratuities.

Cruisers who act so morally against pooling autogratuities are welcome to sail Virgin or a luxury line where service is included.  But they won't because at the end of the day they're just cheap and will sail a mass market line and save a buck by undertipping because "it's not my problem".

• Like 6

3 hours ago, TYMAN said:

My thought is, it's a few hundred dollars that will make more people happier than me keeping it in my pocket. Yes, I've been blessed. 

PS....I can't take it with me, and my son has more $$ than me. Ha!

My son does too! 😅 But I appreciate your comment...the few hundred will not hurt me and yes it could make a difference to those who work so hard for us. Good perspective!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Bottom line:  pay the autogratuities.  Tip or don't tip more.  

Not just from you, Carol, but this is a common refrain on CC. Question: when do you feel that the MDR tip is not justified? Say you are on a B2B or B3B and week 1 you have a fabulous wait staff. But they are going home. You tip big, hoping to see them again some day. And you praise the headwaiter on training, tip extra also and ask for the same table and another great waitstaff the following week. But 2nd week not only do you not get the same table but the waiter and assistant are the opposite of week one. Slow service, wrong food served, never asks if food is ok, drink refills do not happen... just really bad. The new headwaiter says they are as good as he has. So you bite the bullet, book specialty dining for the rest of the cruise and back to excellent service. You tip above and beyond because of service and food are above and beyond. But in this hypothetical situation you still say leave the MDR tips on auto as scheduled? 

53 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Call it cruise fare, call it gratuities, call it a service fee, call is blorkmukkifuz.  You are taking a cruise and you are paying for your cruise.  Names don't matter.

Don't mess with the blorkmukkifuz!  That is my favourite part of cruising.

• Haha 1

I just got off an 11 day Rhapsody of the Seas itinerary in Barbados last Thursday. It had twice a day room service. The majority of passengers were Brits who are not usually tippers and I, a Canadian, did something I've never done before. I tipped the room steward in Canadian dollars because I was running short on US dollars. The onboard gratuities of $16 per day per passenger x 11 days plus 18% on our bar bill and excursions seems to be built-in and expected and I don't begrudge a thing.

Here is what I do begrudge: The entertainment onboard was minimal and I think I know why. Everybody on the ship, including all the staffing and crew where glued to their cell phones everywhere for the whole 11 days. In the theatre, the lounges and bars and the Windjammer restaurant... nothing but clicking their Apps and texting. !!!

1 hour ago, Fred&Lily said:

I just got off an 11 day Rhapsody of the Seas itinerary in Barbados last Thursday. It had twice a day room service. The majority of passengers were Brits who are not usually tippers and I, a Canadian, did something I've never done before. I tipped the room steward in Canadian dollars because I was running short on US dollars. The onboard gratuities of $16 per day per passenger x 11 days plus 18% on our bar bill and excursions seems to be built-in and expected and I don't begrudge a thing.

Here is what I do begrudge: The entertainment onboard was minimal and I think I know why. Everybody on the ship, including all the staffing and crew where glued to their cell phones everywhere for the whole 11 days. In the theatre, the lounges and bars and the Windjammer restaurant... nothing but clicking their Apps and texting. !!!

I cant say i ever saw an on duty crew member on a phone…..thats nuts. The entertainment on small ships is usually not that good.

9 minutes ago, resetjet said:

I cant say i ever saw an on duty crew member on a phone…..thats nuts. The entertainment on small ships is usually not that good.

Royal's daily Cruise Compass was on the Royal App. and you only got it on paper by special request.  The bar drink prices and selection where all on the App along with the safety drills, the event locations and times. Every crew member carried a phone - this is just last week on the Rhapsody of the Seas. 

Every waiter in every bar was incredulous that I didn't have a cell phone.

28 minutes ago, Fred&Lily said:

Royal's daily Cruise Compass was on the Royal App. and you only got it on paper by special request.  The bar drink prices and selection where all on the App along with the safety drills, the event locations and times. Every crew member carried a phone - this is just last week on the Rhapsody of the Seas. 

Every waiter in every bar was incredulous that I didn't have a cell phone.

I have never seen staff on cell phones. I'm guessing there is some confusion here. Maybe the ship phones look like cell phones to some but even those are rarely seen in use.

And is pretty surprising that a world traveler today would do so without a cell phone.

2 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Not just from you, Carol, but this is a common refrain on CC. Question: when do you feel that the MDR tip is not justified? Say you are on a B2B or B3B and week 1 you have a fabulous wait staff. But they are going home. You tip big, hoping to see them again some day. And you praise the headwaiter on training, tip extra also and ask for the same table and another great waitstaff the following week. But 2nd week not only do you not get the same table but the waiter and assistant are the opposite of week one. Slow service, wrong food served, never asks if food is ok, drink refills do not happen... just really bad. The new headwaiter says they are as good as he has. So you bite the bullet, book specialty dining for the rest of the cruise and back to excellent service. You tip above and beyond because of service and food are above and beyond. But in this hypothetical situation you still say leave the MDR tips on auto as scheduled? 

Ok, I'll respond to your scenario.  I would tip extra on the first week BECAUSE THEY DESERVE IT, not because of some future hope.  On week two, after attempting to fix the situation with repeated conversations with the HW, I would simply leave the autograts in place and move on.  Yes, I would absolutely leave the autograts in place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Remember the automatic gratuities can be totally removed at guest services at any time for any reason.

Yes, for those who don't want to tip at all.

Or those who prefer to tip in cash to the servers they come in personal contact with only. (AKA Old school tipping). Always a tempting option. Face to face tipping those who directly served you. As for the rest of the crew, I never feel it's my personal responsibility to supplement their income. But everyone should do what they find is best for them. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Do you realize most cruisers understand that paying gratuities to be pooled among the crew is a reality of cruising and aren't so cheap as to stiff the crew out of the tips they depend on for their wages?

They say don't eat out if you can't afford to or are too cheap to tip.  Well don't cruise if you can't afford to or are to cheap to pay the suggested autogratuities.

Cruisers who act so morally against pooling autogratuities are welcome to sail Virgin or a luxury line where service is included.  But they won't because at the end of the day they're just cheap and will sail a mass market line and save a buck by undertipping because "it's not my problem".

Do you realize most people say mind your own business when it comes to how you spend your money (including tipping) and let other people mind their own spending. Works great. It's called freedom. God bless America.

Also most cruisers don't understand this system. More importantly many don't feel it's their personal responsibility to supplement the salary of the entire ship and therfore don't care. 

The removal of automatic gratuities is an opinion that exists, created and maintained by the cruise lines themselves. That's currently life and a fact. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Guest phd1003
10 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

Remember the automatic gratuities can be totally removed at guest services at any time for any reason.

Or those who prefer to tip in cash to the servers they come in personal contact with only. (AKA Old school tipping). Always a tempting option. Face to face tipping those who directly served you. As for the rest of the crew, I never feel it's my personal responsibility to supplement their income. But everyone should do what they find is best for them. 

Do you just copy and paste this on every tipping thread or do you write it out each time?

1 hour ago, BennyandBo said:

Do you realize most people say mind your own business when it comes to how you spend your money (including tipping) and let other people mind their own spending. Works great. It's called freedom. God bless America.

Also most cruisers don't understand this system. More importantly many don't feel it's their personal responsibility to supplement the salary of the entire ship and therfore don't care. 

The removal of automatic gratuities is an opinion that exists, created and maintained by the cruise lines themselves. That's currently life and a fact. 

If people don't want others in their business they shouldn't be posting it CC in the first place.

And by the way Royal's stance is:

In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services onboard and will be able to do so until the morning of their departure. 

And we're not talking about first-time cruisers; we're talking about experienced cruisers who know exactly how the system works and are willing to stiff the crew (and even possibly get them trouble by creating fictitious or exaggerated services issues).  But hey, whatever they have to tell themselves to justify screwing the crew to save a buck. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BennyandBo said:

Or those who prefer to tip in cash to the servers they come in personal contact with only. (AKA Old school tipping). Always a tempting option. Face to face tipping those who directly served you. In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services onboard and will be able to do so until the morning of their departure. 

Except that when you pull autogratuities and tip only in cash, the people you tipped still have to turn in that cash to be pooled.

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, billylen said:

So, my questions is is it poor form to tip my cabin steward only? I'm serious, so I'm reaching in hope of gaining insight.

Yes, it is extremely poor form. The daily gratuities go to other customer-facing and back-of-the-house crew members who work just as hard to ensure that you have a wonderful cruise. Don't short change them with a narrow view of what the purpose of the daily service charge is for. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

Well, some posting after you disagree vociferously. 

16 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Did you ever get a full cabin service in the evening? Evening service for most cabins was < 5 min. 

I'd like to see you make the beds, refill the ice bucket, clean the bathroom, replace tiles on the floor and make an elephant towel animal in less than 5 minutes. 

• Like 1