Vienna - Seeking Hotel Recommendations

CPT Trips

We are considering a Christmas Market cruise starting in Vienna. I think we should come in a day early as the itinerary has only the arrival day and evening in Vienna. We’re looking for recommendations for hotels that are convenient to the major markets. We don’t need much in the way of amenities just someplace clean, comfortable, and convenient.

TIA

I haven’t done the Christmas markets in Vienna but when I did Vienna, we stayed at Pension Nossek. It is a cute family run hotel, right on the Graben - the pedestrian street in the heart of Vienna. It was less than 10 min walk to both St. Stephen’s cathedral and the Hofburg palace. It doesn’t have a lot of frills but the breakfast was good and the staff were wonderful. 

• Like 1

Vienna is an amazing city and the Christmas Markets in Vienna are also amazing. I would strongly recommend flying in 2-3 days early. I would probably do more if I could. 

The hotel I stayed at and loved (Intercontinental) is being torn down and will be made into a smaller hotel. Such a gorgeous hotel. I had hoped to return before it was torn down.

3 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

@CoralInter Continental is taking on line reservations for December. It isn’t down yet, so you have time. 

We find that jet lag in not enough of an issue to over come the benefit-cost analysis for a trip like we have in mind. 

Interesting - last time I checked, they would have been shut down by then. It must be extended. I would love to go to Vienna again. It was one of my favorite cities on my Christmas market cruise. I probably spent 4 days exploring Vienna - I flew in early and our ship spent 2 days in Vienna. Lovely city!

My husband and I have stayed twice (6 days total) at Hotel Karntnerhof  in Vienna, Grasofgasse 4.  We weren't part of a cruise then, so not sure of its location to the port or to the Christmas  markets. Not that expensive (for Vienna), quiet and a short walk to the cathedral and historical areas Rooms are clean, although rather compact and the beds comfortable. The staff is wonderful and they have a open rooftop area open for guests with shaded seating where we always enjoyed our pre-dinner wine.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, irvington said:

Is it worth staying in an airport hotel the night before I leave or should I just stay someplace in central Vienna?

Depends on what time your flight is.  If staying in old town, I would allow 4 hours before flight leaves to get to airport and check in.  (I usually try to arrive 3 hrs early for international flights). If this is not feasible, stay near the airport.

• Like 1