Would you still cruise with Regent if you didn't take full advantage of excursions?

dcsam

Love the bike idea also,  we would take advantage of that!  However,  I can’t image the effort that would take to make happen!  It would be a great add on instead of renting a driver for $1000,  instead two 26 inch bikes are waiting for you for free! 

10 minutes ago, irishwitchy said:

Love the bike idea also,  we would take advantage of that!  However,  I can’t image the effort that would take to make happen!  It would be a great add on instead of renting a driver for $1000,  instead two 26 inch bikes are waiting for you for free! 

That could be a huge liability issue if someone got injured since the cruise line would be providing the bikes.  Unlike shore excursions where the tour company would have liability if you were injured on a tour. 

5 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

That could be a huge liability issue if someone got injured since the cruise line would be providing the bikes.  Unlike shore excursions where the tour company would have liability if you were injured on a tour. 

I don’t want Regent to have the bikes, agree that would be an logistics nightmare.  It would be great, if renting a bike from a local company, just like the car was an option.  Going green! 

2 minutes ago, irishwitchy said:

I don’t want Regent to have the bikes, agree that would be an logistics nightmare.  It would be great, if renting a bike from a local company, just like the car was an option.  Going green! 

Ah...that could make sense! Thank you for clarification...my mistake.

35 minutes ago, irishwitchy said:

23 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

River cruise lines do it with little problem (we were out on Avalon bikes every day on the Rhine cruise - some with the onboard active excursions guide and some on our own) - you just sign a disclaimer 😁

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 3

Y'all need to remember you are paying for those "free" excursions over $150 per person per port that you don't dake.  That can add up to thousands of dollars wasted in cruise fare   Sure Regent loves customers who don't take the included excursions and that is pure profit and adds to the bottom line. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Techno123 said:

We are doing a Norwegian Fjord cruise in the summer with a cruise line beginning with S and ending in N 😁. The excursions are very expensive in comparison to what can be booked locally.

I do wish cruise lines had bikes onboard that can be borrowed like some of the river cruise companies do - you can see so much more of the local area than you can on foot.

Regent does have bikes...or did recently.

30 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I think the 3 older ships have (had) them...we haven't used them in years. They might be for crew only these days.

That is correct.  We asked a crew member when we saw him taking a bike off the ship. Crew only.  And that was pre- covid

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 7:31 AM, dcsam said:

Mobility… this is the reason I posted the question in the first place. We wouldn’t use the included excursions  due to my husband’s mobility issues.  We find enjoyment simply being on the ship and venturing on our own (utilizing private tours). Our travel friends, however, would sign up for as many tours as possible.  So it seems Regent might be a good fit for us after all .  

Mobility is an issue for me, too (I am a wheelchair user).  On our upcoming cruise (in April), there were accessible excursions in two out of three ports.  I did have to call Regent in order to make reservations for one of the excursions, because the system is glitchy and I wanted to be sure that we reserved on the one excursion that is wheelchair accessible in that port of call.  That having been said, once I got through to Regent on the phone, the agent was lovely, he confirmed that the excursion is wheelchair accessible, and he made the reservations for us.  Now, that does mean that one port of call (the Azores) does not have a wheelchair accessible excursion, but we will probably just make private arrangements for that day..

Edited by ysolde

On 3/1/2023 at 10:12 AM, rallydave said:

Y'all need to remember you are paying for those "free" excursions over $150 per person per port that you don't dake.  That can add up to thousands of dollars wasted in cruise fare   Sure Regent loves customers who don't take the included excursions and that is pure profit and adds to the bottom line. 

I'm not so sure your comment is  accurate.  Regent pays to book the excursion and likely pays a "full bus" fare.   If it's $1000 to book a bus with enough room for 60  and only 30 people show up, the cost to Regent doesn't come down nor does the cost to the passenger increase. It's simply supplemented by those who don't take excursions.  

That's also why, for me, I don't want to see a credit for excursions.  If that happened they'd have to instituted a minimum number for an excursion to go or charge an upcharge if the excursion isn't full.  

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

I'm not so sure your comment is  accurate.  Regent pays to book the excursion and likely pays a "full bus" fare.   If it's $1000 to book a bus with enough room for 60  and only 30 people show up, the cost to Regent doesn't come down nor does the cost to the passenger increase. It's simply supplemented by those who don't take excursions.  

That's also why, for me, I don't want to see a credit for excursions.  If that happened they'd have to instituted a minimum number for an excursion to go or charge an upcharge if the excursion isn't full.  

While what yo wrote might be accurate for what is paid to the tour operator it is likely applicable to what is included in the cruise fare. While my $150+ may not be accurate for what is included per person for. Sure an amount is included in the fares charged so for those who don’t take the included yours they are paying higher prices than they otherwise would 

Sane for drinks where propjj look e sho don’t drink are paying more. As to your theory regarding paying on a bus rate vs per person that likely depends on the tour operator snd at best a a mixed bag. 

comparing Regent fares per day to seabourn also a luxury line even removing air from Regent as seabourn doesn’t include sure the regrnt fares are much higher on a per day basis. YMMV. 

13 hours ago, rallydave said:

comparing Regent fares per day to seabourn also a luxury line even removing air from Regent as seabourn doesn’t include sure the regrnt fares are much higher on a per day basis. YMMV. 

The excursions on Seabourn are not cheap, and they can add a lot over the course of the cruise. We’ve never done a precise apples to apples comparison but in our mind the two lines run relatively close in price when everything is included. We choose by itinerary first and ship second. Cost has never become the tiebreaker. 

7 hours ago, labonnevie said:

The excursions on Seabourn are not cheap, and they can add a lot over the course of the cruise. We’ve never done a precise apples to apples comparison but in our mind the two lines run relatively close in price when everything is included. We choose by itinerary first and ship second. Cost has never become the tiebreaker. 

Seabourn on our 65 day Grand Pacific cancelled with just 36 hours notice 6 excursions for last 10 days of the cruise there was nothing whatever  to replace them ..we had used OBC to book them right at the start and their attitude has been downright appalling ...would not sail with them again ...who wants to sail 8000+ miles and not be able to see NZ and Aus ? 

We are on Regent this month and Seabourn next month.  For Seabourn, I have booked all private excursions in the areas we want to explore in depth.  The others we will visit on our own. 

For Regent, there were no included excursions left when we booked.  We will see if we can book the ones we are interested in upon boarding.  If not, Plan B it will be.  I would be inclined to consider Regent more often if not for included excursions. We prefer to be on our own.

Edited by caviargal

On 3/3/2023 at 8:36 AM, rallydave said:

While what yo wrote might be accurate for what is paid to the tour operator it is likely applicable to what is included in the cruise fare. While my $150+ may not be accurate for what is included per person for. Sure an amount is included in the fares charged so for those who don’t take the included yours they are paying higher prices than they otherwise would 

Sane for drinks where propjj look e sho don’t drink are paying more. As to your theory regarding paying on a bus rate vs per person that likely depends on the tour operator snd at best a a mixed bag. 

I actually wasn't questioning your comment that excursions run $150 per person, but your comment "c Sure Regent loves customers who don't take the included excursions and that is pure profit and adds to the bottom line."  I suspect, don't actually know, that Regent books excursions at a guaranteed amount regardless of how many show up to take the excursion.  I also suspect that to add extra busses, etc. they will now need a certain minimum to warrant the cost.  If they go to optional excursions, and a particular excursion doesn't get enough to meet the minimum cost. they'll end up cancelling that excursion.  As it stands today, it seems they book...say a bus for 60...at a fixed cost for UPTO 60 people and if only 10 book it, it goes anyway.  So those who choose to sit on the ship or book their own excursions, are supplementing the rest of us. But I doubt seriously that people failing to show up on any excursion is actually " pure profit and adds to the bottom line."

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

I actually wasn't questioning your comment that excursions run $150 per person, but your comment "c Sure Regent loves customers who don't take the included excursions and that is pure profit and adds to the bottom line."  I suspect, don't actually know, that Regent books excursions at a guaranteed amount regardless of how many show up to take the excursion.  I also suspect that to add extra busses, etc. they will now need a certain minimum to warrant the cost.  If they go to optional excursions, and a particular excursion doesn't get enough to meet the minimum cost. they'll end up cancelling that excursion.  As it stands today, it seems they book...say a bus for 60...at a fixed cost for UPTO 60 people and if only 10 book it, it goes anyway.  So those who choose to sit on the ship or book their own excursions, are supplementing the rest of us. But I doubt seriously that people failing to show up on any excursion is actually " pure profit and adds to the bottom line."

Thanks for the clarification. Guess we can agree to disagree. IMHO tour costs are generally on a per person basis and using your logic tour operators and regent too much or too little depending on passenger load  

and just like cancelled ports for port fees and taxes which are included gin the fare and not refunded neither are the dollars paid for the nit held tours believe you would agree in those cases pure profit for missed ports for tours port fees and taxes. 

have a nice day. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 12:38 PM, phillipahain said:

Sorry but certainly do not agree with that at all ...we have done many Regent Cruises and had some lovely free tours the only thing that has ever spoilt a tour has been passengers who refuse to face or accept that their poor mobility seriously affects other passengers ..if a tour says strenuous its exactly that 

I didn't think that the tours were free.

You pay for them upfront in your cruise fare surely.

56 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Of course just like air and concierge and above pre cruise hotel. Proper term is included. 

Rallydave      of course your paying for them in same way as you pay for free drinks !!!    Its all a question of the level of service etc you get on whichevervline you choose 

If you add cost of drinks, gratuities , tours , and same quality of food and service to mass market lines theres not always a huge difference to choosing Regent in first place 

3 minutes ago, phillipahain said:

Rallydave      of course your paying for them in same way as you pay for free drinks !!!    Its all a question of the level of service etc you get on whichevervline you choose 

If you add cost of drinks, gratuities , tours , and same quality of food and service to mass market lines theres not always a huge difference to choosing Regent in first place 

I did a (very) recent comparison of this using Celebrity (concierge verandah) and Seabourn (least expensive stateroom).  Seabourn was less and included more, even after adding all that I wanted to the Celebrity sailing.  Their premium drink package, which covers specialty coffees, bottled waters, etc., is now 106 per person per day plus 20% gratuity.  Adding their dining package for 5 nights was another 260 each, plus gratuity.  Fitness classes, etc. are still extra.  I am not interested in a "ship within a ship" concept such as Celebrity offers with their new Retreat.  It is still not a luxury ship.

The devil is in the details. 

• Like 3