Use of Euros in European Ports

Healthmark

I would definitely recommend having Euros for European ports. Not every cafe/bar has a card machine and certainly market traders would want cash. 

You used to be able to go to guest services to change US$ to Euros but I don't know if they do that anymore if not there are atms at the ports and some ports have a bureaux de change

Thanks for the heads up.  Will be sure to access Euro's before our Mediterranean cruise this summer.  My bank(USAA) does not provide foreign currency but waives ATM fees so can access cash from ATM machine in country. 

However we had no problem using our credit card everywhere last summer on cruise to Norway, Belgium, Amsterdam, France and London.

• Thanks 1

Many travel-oriented credit cards will not charge a foreign exchange or transaction fee to charge in another currency.  If you do this, be sure to purchase in the local currency and not your own currency, if given the choice.

My understanding is that the best exchange rate for get cash is to use your atm card at an atm machine at a bank when you are there.  Certain bank accounts allow you to withdraw without atm fees.

If it's permitted to say it here, I use a Chase Sapphire credit card and a Capital One 360 online bank account which respectively have these features.

Edited by zzdoug
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, zzdoug said:

Many travel-oriented credit cards will not charge a foreign exchange or transaction fee to charge in another currency.  If you do this, be sure to purchase in the local currency and not your own currency, if given the choice.

My understanding is that the best exchange rate for get cash is to use your atm card at an atm machine at a bank when you are there.  Certain bank accounts allow you to withdraw without atm fees.

If it's permitted to say it here, I use a Chase Sapphire credit card and a Capital One 360 online bank account which respectively have these features.

I use those same 2 cards when traveling. The Cap1 360 card to get fee free cash from an ATM and Chase for my credit card purchases. 

• Like 1

While the majority of countries in Europe use the Euro, not all of them do (i.e. UK, Norway, Sweden, etc.).  The ones that don't will be best served by using their local currency.  Be sure you check your itinerary and note what currency each country uses.

For countries that use euros, then yes, you should plan on using euros if using cash.  You can get this cash from any ATM.  You can also use credit cards for most purchases.  I would use the credit card first and use cash for snacks, small entry fees, etc.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea saw 56 said:

The foreign currency even comes in handy for tipping your tour guides....

I have never taken a cruise in Europe but in some European countries - Italy for example - it is not customary to tip in restaurants.  Usually a service charge is added to the bill.  In those places do tour guides expect to be tipped?

14 minutes ago, zzdoug said:

I have never taken a cruise in Europe but in some European countries - Italy for example - it is not customary to tip in restaurants.  Usually a service charge is added to the bill.  In those places do tour guides expect to be tipped?

Duck!!! 😉😎

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, zzdoug said:

That is really not the case, you will normally be handed a machine asking if you want to leave a tip, it will be much lower than the US 10-15% is normal.
It is not normal to write it on the receipt like in the US, we normally add it to the machine before paying or leave some cash on the table.

Just for a general idea..in November when 1 euro was just a little over 1 usd,  I withdrew $100 euros from an atm at a Deutschebank in Rome.  After the conversion, bank fees, and mastercard fees, $105.32 usd was withdrew from my account.  After talking with others on my tour,  this was by far the best rate.  You will also get a better conversion m rate using an atm outside of a bank and not a 3rd party one that is located somewhere like the airport.

1 hour ago, zzdoug said:

Good choices.  I also have the Capital One 360, which does not require advance notification of foreign travel.  Because you never know when something is gonna be eaten or rejected, I feel better having two ATM cards, and I also use a Schwab debit card, which credits any ATM fees and doesn't have a foreign transaction fee (but does ask for advance notification of where you are traveling).

I keep any leftover Euro until next time.  They also make a great gift for young family members taking a trip abroad.  (Unlike the currency from Albania or Bulgaria, which is all but impossible to exchange outside the country).  

3 hours ago, zzdoug said:

We also use the Capital One 360 card for ATM withdrawals in Europe. We generally withdraw the local currency every few days and just use cash for our purchases throughout each day. It's worked great for the more than 10 years that we've done this.

4 hours ago, zzdoug said:

I have a Chase Sapphire Checking Account that I use in foreign countries with no fees charged and any ATM fees reimbursed.

5 hours ago, zzdoug said:

We always tip our tour guides, even in Europe.  For instance, in Norway our tour guide was an Italian college student working in Norway for the summer.  She did a good job, and yes..... she deserved and appreciated a tip.

Definitely get some Euro. While many places, especially in touristy areas, will take credit cards, not everyone will. UK is the easiest when it comes to cc acceptance but if you’re in the French country side, good luck. Germany is particularly annoying as many places only accept what they call an “EC card” which you can’t get outside the EU.

I usually just use my Australian bank card at foreign ATMs which is still cheaper than exchanging cash at the airport (or worse even, on the ship). Plus way more convenient too and I like to be lazy on vacation 😁

• Like 2

20 hours ago, zzdoug said:

We went to Italy for two weeks last year and yes it is customary to tip the guides.  I double checked with my travel agent. We did many excursions and some food/history tours and tipped the guides each time. We did mostly private tours and if I recall, we tipped at least 20 Euros. For our group food tours, it was about 10 Euros.  Of Course it was in cash. 

I always get about 100 Euros from my bank before I go, and use Bank ATMs when I get to Europe. I use a Capital one card and opened a bank account with them just to use when I travel. I have gotten charged local bank transaction fees, but not fees for exchanging money.

Edited by Seminole1975
  • Thanks 1

If you're a AAA member and have a store near you, you can order foreign currency there. That's what we did last summer when we went to France and the UK. I found they were cheaper than my local Chase bank in conversion/fees. Just be sure to call or check the store services online before you go because not all stores offer all the travel services. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 8:28 PM, zzdoug said:

I have never taken a cruise in Europe but in some European countries - Italy for example - it is not customary to tip in restaurants.  Usually a service charge is added to the bill. 

On 2/24/2023 at 8:52 PM, ziggyuk said:

That is really not the case, you will normally be handed a machine asking if you want to leave a tip, it will be much lower than the US 10-15% is normal.
It is not normal to write it on the receipt like in the US, we normally add it to the machine before paying or leave some cash on the table.

It depends... Usually there will an amount show up in your check called "coperta" which covers the bread and also is a service charge. In more touristy places like Venice there may be also an automatic service charge on your chekc like in Miami or Fort Lauderdale. So better alway check your check! Nevertheless - even with a service charge on your check - the card machine always gives you the option to add an additional tip.

steamboats

I always like to have at least some local currency, but my first choice is to pay with a credit card with no foreign transaction fee.

In past trips I have typically obtained my local currency via an ATM withdrawal, but you need to be careful on fees and rates.  You can check with your bank for ATMs that will not have fees or have fees reimbursed.

On my next trip, mt bank does not have any partner ATMs and I will start the trip with the days at the port city.  I am considering two options:

1) Using my bank to purchase the currency (Euros).  The exchange rate is not the greatest though.- $1.1146/Euro.  The official rate is 1.0546, so this is about a 6% surcharge.  If I order $1,000 or more there is no "delivery fee".

2) Ordering through a major currency website.  This would be at a rate of 1.083, or about a 3% surcharge.