Reykjavik Help, Please

Missboo

We will be in Reykjavik in May.  We are doing a ship tour in the morning, but will have the afternoon and evening to explore the city.  Is the city walkable from the cruise terminal? Are there any restaurants that are walkable from the terminal?  If not, how do you get around? Would a taxi take USD/credit cards, or would we need Krona? I've never been before and I want to be prepared as possible.  Would also love to have dinner off the ship, if feasible.  Any help and recommendations are greatly appreciated!

If this is your first visit, may I ask why you are only doing a morning tour? With a full day in Reykjavik, you could do a Golden Circle tour or even a South Coast tour (if you’re in port long enough). Iceland is really about the beautiful country . . . 

• Like 1

The terminal is a fairly long walk away but there are bus stops at the terminal that take you into the city center. I’m assuming you have a long port stop like me, mine is 14 hours. We are doing the Golden Circle tour then relaxing on the ship before heading into town (via bus) to look around and shop or grab a bite of food. I love to try native dishes in the country I’m visiting. I haven’t researched restaurants yet but I’ll let you know what I found out. 

We found the ship shuttle bus to town was about the same price as taxi (for two of us - for a larger group taxi likely cheaper.)   Easy taxi ride to town, taxis were available at the ship.   Very nice city to walk around in.   I cannot comment on restaurants as we ate on the ship.  If you are looking for a $1000 winter coat, you are in luck.   It seems like every other store was a high end outerwear store.   Note:  Store clerks told us you can get your tax back but it has to be done at the airport.   Not true, our ship would refund our tax money on the ship, however, it had to be done before the ship leaves the dock (in other words as soon as you board the ship go to guest services).   Not sure how other ships handle this. 

• Like 1

Definitely take an all day tour.  Golden Circle or South Coast waterfalls are great.

Walkable depends on the individual and which cruise terminal (there are 2) you are docking at.

USD is no good in Iceland.  Plastic is king.

Thanks everyone.  Using a credit card is no problem, I was just concerned if buses/taxis would take them, but it sounds like they will.  We are doing a 6 hour tour that starts early and ends mid afternoon, so we are all set for an excursion.  We'll be Reykjavik overnight, so I think we are going to explore the city a bit and maybe try an Icelandic restaurant.  I've never been to the port so I was not sure how easy it is to get transportation back and forth.  It sounds like there are plenty of options between taxis and buses, so that's great!  Again, any other tips/tricks/things not to miss are appreciated.🙂

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2023 at 5:38 PM, SueMo said:

You must eat at the popular hot dog stand Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur (The City’s Best Hotdog) located in central Reykjavik, on the corner of Tryggvagata and Pósthússtræti.  Credit cards are taken.

What is the best way to get there? Taxi? We would love to head to the city center after our Golden Circle tour. I assume they are open late? 

On 3/18/2023 at 6:28 PM, Ladybug18 said:

What is the best way to get there? Taxi? We would love to head to the city center after our Golden Circle tour. I assume they are open late? 

Reykjavik is quite walkable.  If you are anywhere in the center of the city (near the Cathedral, Harpa, waterfront, or shopping area it won't be far away.

Their hours are on their website (yes, they are open late)