Open loop cruise, what happens if you don't get your passport in time? Insurance?

robinbtigger

On 2/24/2023 at 1:12 PM, robinbtigger said:

It's too bad she already sent it in because she would have qualified for Urgent Travel and gotten an appointment in DC to renew it in person.

No, travel in seven weeks does not qualify you for urgent travel.  AND, to get an appointment, you must have your proof of travel documents (tickets) and be traveling within fourteen days. As she hasn't booked and you are seven weeks out, this won't work.

I just did renewal online the first week of January, paid for expedited service and return, and after eight weeks (although it states expedited should take 3-5 weeks), it's still in process

Edited by 6rugrats

6 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

The reason why I asked is that in Sweden we normally have to wait for only a few days but we have had problems with that too recently.

Well you guy’s generally adequately fund a lot of governmental services many Americans aren’t willing to fund through their taxes. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

No, travel in seven weeks does not qualify you for urgent travel.  AND, to get an appointment, you must have your proof of travel documents (tickets) and be traveling within fourteen days. As she hasn't booked and you are seven weeks out, this won't work.

I just did renewal online the first week of January, paid for expedited service and return, and after eight weeks (although it states expedited should take 3-5 weeks), it's still in process

I did online renewal received 1/12/23 and as of today, six weeks out, still says ‘received’.  So today I went in and requested expedite.  I do have a cruise next week, but just closed loop to Bahamas, so can use a birth certificate.  A little uncomfortable since first time I have ever left the country without a passport.  First cruise was in 1972.  EM

11 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Well you guy’s generally adequately fund a lot of governmental services many Americans aren’t willing to fund through their taxes. 

I don't understand what you mean.

Are you saying that because we only need to wait a few days to get our passports instead of a few weeks it cost the taxpayers more? If yes, why?

17 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

I was looking on the State Department website and it specifically said to call and make an appointment for Urgent Travel if you were at least 7 weeks out. 

1 hour ago, robinbtigger said:

I was looking on the State Department website and it specifically said to call and make an appointment for Urgent Travel if you were at least 7 weeks out. 

(edited) NO MORE than 7 weeks out.  Sorry, not enough coffee when I wrote this.