Booking Airlines

frenchCow

Flyertalker and Zach 1213,

I was referring to my second case Amsterdam-Tokyo Singapore-Amsterdam and as said after our previous very long flights/layovers (Amsterdam Tokyo Sydney/ Sydney Tokyo Amsterdam)we would try to fly as direct as possible. As KLM are the only ones flying both directly we chose them as being our “only option” I know KLM do not fly to Australia and that there are no non stops available.

Refundable flights were about €700 more for both of us and I thought this was (comparatively) cheap for the peace of mind. That said time will tell and I will definitely post if our flights do go down in price.

Edited by cruiseaholic78
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2023 at 9:32 AM, cruiseaholic78 said:

Refundable flights were about €700 more for both of us and I thought this was (comparatively) cheap for the peace of mind.

And just what kind of "peace of mind" were you hoping to get for your 700 Euros?

Since you seem to fly a bunch internationally, you certainly would be able to use any travel credits?

I started out as so many here giving my own advice about my experience booking directly or via the cruiseline saying how both had increased so much within a month.

Based on your own findings I now have the opportunity to change my flights if they become cheaper. If for any reason we have to cancel I will get my money back, otherwise with KLM I would only be able to change them and pay any difference, and the only refund would be for taxes.

By the way our flights are now €15013 non refundable €16011 refundable, more expensive than the cruise!

• 3 months later...
On 2/25/2023 at 3:17 PM, mikebsxm said:

Concerning pre-cruise hotels, I generally agree with CruiserBruce.  Hotels booked through the cruise line are usually priced per-person, while if you book it yourself, the room is generally priced per night, for 2 people.  So, you are paying almost double.

Domestic airfares are usually close to the same cost,  booked through the cruise line or directly through the airline.  But international flights, especially premium economy and business class are much cheaper booked through the cruise line.  And if you need a one-way or open-jaw international ticket, you can't beat the cruise line prices.  Plus, the ability to reserve your flights and select seats, but not pay for the tickets until final cruise payment date, is a big plus, just in case you need to cancel.

Hello neighbor? I'm trying to decide on air for Panama canal cruise in Jan'24.  Booking direct w/airline, now seems too early for several reasons. Cruise departs from FLL and ends in LAX. However, in past booking air w/Princess EZ-AIR for Alaska cruisetour 8 months in advance really paid off. Then didn't have to pay for air until final cruise payment date(90 days b4) and saw air prices drop twice which they allowed we to change w/no penalty. But for Alaska timing was very critical. For my new Panama cruise  would fly to FLL the day b4. This time cruise is Princess again( only 2nd time). All other cruises either didn't have air(Bayonne NJ very convenient) or booked directly w/airline. Any suggestions out there on which way to go this time?

13 hours ago, Willwils said:

Hello neighbor? I'm trying to decide on air for Panama canal cruise in Jan'24.  Booking direct w/airline, now seems too early for several reasons. Cruise departs from FLL and ends in LAX. However, in past booking air w/Princess EZ-AIR for Alaska cruisetour 8 months in advance really paid off. Then didn't have to pay for air until final cruise payment date(90 days b4) and saw air prices drop twice which they allowed we to change w/no penalty. But for Alaska timing was very critical. For my new Panama cruise  would fly to FLL the day b4. This time cruise is Princess again( only 2nd time). All other cruises either didn't have air(Bayonne NJ very convenient) or booked directly w/airline. Any suggestions out there on which way to go this time?

For domestic flights, the only big advantage of cruise line air is the ability to cancel or change with no penalty up to 75-90 days before your flight.  There's no n big difference in fares on round trip domestic flights.

Another consideration is if you only need a one-way domestic flight.  For example, you live in San Diego and are taking a Panama Canal cruise originating in San Diego and ending in Ft. Lauderdale.  You only need a one-way fare from FLL to SAN to get back home.  Buying the one-way ticket through the cruise line could save some cash and if you find a cheaper fare directly through the airlines, before 75-90 days, you can cancel with no penalty.

Edited by mikebsxm

I was disappointed recently with my cruise air options for a transpacific cruise (SYD - HNL).  The only option offered was “round trip” to SYD and then from HNL and I was able to book the flight nearly $1,000 cheaper directly through the airline. The only “advantage” was not paying until final payment. This is the first time I’ve not been able to book one way international airfare.