% of guests who remove gratuities

kruzerci

2 hours ago, Ryder101 said:

"If they don't get tens, they don't get their full share of the tip". 

And the cash tippers are the bad guys? Why don't you all flip out over this sick rule. Does the rest of the tips go to those who got all tens? Or does Royal just keep the difference? 

BTW if a crew member receives cash from a person that removes their tips, they are supposed to turn in the cash to the tipping pool.  It is common knowledge among the crew and supervisors of who removes their tips.

27 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Wrong about envelopes. See them being handed out at guest services. They are still available. 

They are available, but they are not placed in cabins with a hint that you are expected to pay.

I am completely fine with envelops available for people wishing to pay additional tips in envelopes.

Actually I am even fine if they are placed in rooms.. If it is officially declared that everything is collected (autogratuities are included)

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vibe said:

BTW if a crew member receives cash from a person that removes their tips, they are supposed to turn in the cash to the tipping pool.  It is common knowledge among the crew and supervisors of who removes their tips.

Never happens. Oh, look boss I got $100... wanna take it and share it with others? "Supposed to..." and "Common Knowledge" are pretty words. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Never happens. Oh, look boss I got $100... wanna take it and share it with others? "Supposed to..." and "Common Knowledge" are pretty words. 

If they are caught.  I have many friends and family that work at Disney, if they receive a cash tip and do not turn it in, they will be reprimanded.  It happens often. 

Edited by Vibe

5 minutes ago, Vibe said:

If they are caught.  I have many friends and family that work at Disney in non tipped positions, if they receive a cash tip and do not turn it in, they will be reprimanded.  It happens often. 

Fairy dust thinking. Completely diff situation in a non tipped position. Every position on a cruise ship is a tipped position!

Edited by fredmdcruisers
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 12:16 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

You are screwing over a lot of people who work behind the scenes when you don’t pay gratuities.

I am not defending the post, because I agree it screws the behind the scenes staff.

But blaming the passenger does not help. It is the cruiseline, who should accept cruising is not just for Americans, it is a worldwide holiday option, and they should rid us of this stupid payment system.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Vibe said:

Urban Myth

Cash goes into a pocket, and is never spoken of again

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Disney reference. Irrelevant and silly.

So sad that so many people are so upset about a 16.00 per day charge

Edited by Vibe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Day one is kinda crazy all around, for guest services and for me. Morning of day 2 is the most efficient time I have found to handle it. 

If you remove your tips early, they crew will find out sooner.

Edited by Vibe
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Obviously that does not concern me

Tip is cash after you remove auto tips to ensure good service

Edited by Vibe

5 hours ago, Ryder101 said:

The problem I see with that is if you pre pay and get bad service, you have no recourse. Also Royal is making money on your money instead of it being in your bank account earning money till trip time.

Yeah I have big plans for that $14. I’m looking at buying Tesla stock. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Who was it that said if they don't get 10's they don't get their full share of gratuities?  One person in this whole thread, but we are somehow latching onto it as gospel?

Seriously, I tip in restaurants because servers ONLY get $2.13 per hour!!  If you can get over the fact that some people already tip BIG, and yes they are paid by Royal, and these ships have it all! (I still prefer the pools at DVC but seriously they are PAID to be on a floating resort)

1 minute ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

Seriously, I tip in restaurants because servers ONLY get $2.13 per hour!!  If you can get over the fact that some people already tip BIG, and yes they are paid by Royal, and these ships have it all! (I still prefer the pools at DVC but seriously they are PAID to be on a floating resort)

Source?

Love DVC.  I'm fond of the Poly quiet pool myself.  Not so much the Boardwalk main pool, although I LOVE the location of the Boardwalk Villas

Edited by The Fun Researcher

51 minutes ago, Vibe said:

how does anyone know if a person got got a cash tip

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 12:15 PM, taglovestocruise said:

How wrong you are. When auto grats are removed the waitstaff and room stewards turn that amount you give them into the ships tip pool. Curious as how you get your cash to all the behind the scenes works who share in the tip pool. 

I also have heard this policy.

So I do it another way.  I do NOT opt out of daily charges for tips, and at the end of the cruise I also use the envelope for ADDITIONAL tip to room steward, waiter and asst waiter.  

Last couple of cruises they only provided one extra tip envelope, so I ask room steward for a few more.  

Eddie

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Source?

Love DVC.  I'm fond of the Poly quiet pool myself.  Not so much the Boardwalk main pool, although I LOVE the location of the Boardwalk Villas

Right?! We thoroughly enjoyed the Boardwalk Villas last Fall!! You just have to get over the clown pool and the rest is awesome! Loved our balcony and the location was amazing. We were just steps from the lobby elevator! Most Boardwalk Studios have very small balconies so that's why I was so shocked! But it's still an AMAZING resort.

7 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Oh, you must understand sir, that it's a rule and staff must comply! Common knowledge and all that stuff. 😃 

but how does anybody know? If somebody slipped you some cash , you stuff it in your pocket and don't tell anyone. If it is done in the privacy of your cabin , there are no cameras. Maybe it is the nice thing to do but I think not all would do it.

• Like 2