Where can we check in onboard for flight home. Do we need Wi-Fi?

lrj826

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

Additionally, haven't needed to print a boarding pass in a very long time.  Just save it to the phone.  

I do the same just scan phone at kiosk,  print luggage tag and drop off. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, markeb said:

Which doesn't help if they change the seat configuration and you could have grabbed an aisle instead of the middle they stuck you in...

That actually does happen quite often another reason I don't prepay for a seat. For example to fly Toronto to Fort Lauderdale econo plus is roughly another $60 one way. Not worth it for a 2 hour and 40 minute flight. 

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

Additionally, haven't needed to print a boarding pass in a very long time.  Just save it to the phone.  

The OP did not say anything about printing their boarding pass.  They will need access to the internet or Cellular data to check it and save it to their phone.

17 hours ago, lrj826 said:

Hi, we’re on United, not Southwest so we can wait until we’re in port if necessary. Haven’t made any new friends yet, lol, maybe we will once onboard. Our flight is at 11:10 so we’re cutting it a bit close but I think we’ll be okay.

Many thanks again for your help and suggestions. 

If all goes well you will be in range for your cellular service close to 7:00 am and you can check in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

The OP did not say anything about printing their boarding pass.  They will need access to the internet or Cellular data to check it and save it to their phone.

Then I guess it is a good thing my reply was not to the OP.   My reply was to someone talking about the need for a printer.  

19 hours ago, markeb said:

You're flying from FLL to EWR? Do you have the United app on your phone?

Odds are you can check in as soon as you get cellular reception at 4-5 a.m. I don't fly as much these days, but I've flown a lot. There is no way on earth I would not have connectivity with the airline with the frequency of changes. 11:10 in FLL shouldn't be a problem, but they change flights. They reconfigure aircraft. All sorts of things you could react to if the airline can contact you (United normally will text, email, and have alerts on the app). I'm really sorry, but I'd at least buy 24 hours of WiFi for my smartphone. There was a time when I'd consider reservations and seat assignments stable, but I've had United (my preferred carrier, and I'm 1K) change aircraft on long haul international routes and in one case actually delete the premium economy cabin I'd paid for. That's an outrageous example, but...

Yes, we do have the United app, we also have confirmed upgraded seats and we are checking luggage. Yes also to the point about the changes that may occur with any flight, we’ve have flight times changed, flights cancelled, gates changed, you name it, we’ve experienced it. We also will do the boarding pass on our phones, no need to print,

So after talking it over we decided to purchase Wi-Fi, my husband enjoys the news apps and it will give us peace of mind not only with the flights but also with keeping in touch with family.
Once again many thanks to everyone for the suggestions and ideas, you are all very helpful. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, drakes2 said:

With planes flying full these days I like to choose my seat 24 hours in advance. If I wait till I get to the airport it will be a middle seat.  I don't ever pay for advance seat selection. 

Better reserve it way before that and worst case (in case your fare type doesn't include it) pay for the seat reservation. At the time of check-in often only garbage is left.

20 hours ago, drakes2 said:

That actually does happen quite often another reason I don't prepay for a seat. For example to fly Toronto to Fort Lauderdale econo plus is roughly another $60 one way. Not worth it for a 2 hour and 40 minute flight. 

If that happens just get a refund, done. In any case paying for wifi on the ship just to do OLCI isn't worth it. If you can get it done for free with the help of whatever department then by all means I agree.

3 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Better reserve it way before that and worst case (in case your fare type doesn't include it) pay for the seat reservation. At the time of check-in often only garbage is left.

I just logged in and looked at our flights for April 21st and half the seats are still open. Just a short flight to FLL so won't bother but the return from AMS to YYZ we will book seats as the day prior to flight we will be out all day.  Yeah I hate middle seats but sometimes unavoidable.