Deluxe Beverage Package with Diamond status?

nyletak

Hi everyone,

I'm going on my first cruise in 8 years in May. It's on Symphony of the Seas out of Rome May 11th. I am a diamond member (thanks to my parents taking me on so many cruises when I was young lol). But this time I'm going with my bf who isn't a diamond member. We don't live together so we can't share my status. We are planning on splitting my 4 free drinks each day between the two of us. But I am seriously struggling to determine whether we should get a drink package. The offer I'm getting right now online is $61.99 per day (total $511pp), which I understand is a good offer... it's just a lot of money to pay right now when we just dropped a couple thousand on the cruise and flights etc. I don't see us drinking more than 6 drinks per day. Maybe 7 the odd time. But it's a European cruise so most days we will be off the boat all day. We would be buying 4 out of the 6 due to our 2 free drinks each. My main question is how much are the drinks on board? I know most are $14 USD plus 18% gratuity, but I haven't been able to find anywhere online whether you also have to pay taxes or not. Without taxes, the drink package doesn't really make sense for us if we're only getting 4 extra drinks. But if there are taxes on top of everything, then it actually may be worth it. Very close call lol. So just wondering if anyone has any insight here.

Also just looking for any advice overall. I think if we we're going on a Caribbean cruise I would be more inclined to purchase it as we'd likely spend more time on the boat, but how much do you guys usually drink from like 5pm onwards? I'm thinking 2 drinks once we get back on, 2 during dinner, 2 during a show.. I don't want to be hungover for the next day. We also only have 1 day at sea for the whole cruise, and will likely be trying drinks on land. As for other beverages, I don't care for any juice, coffee or bottled water. I am planning on bringing a reusable water bottle and filling it up with free water. Just very conflicted as we definitely enjoy drinking a lot on vacation, but not sure how our busy schedule will influence that.. also not sure about the whole taxes situation.

Thanks so much!

Edited by nyletak

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Drinks onboard will be charged 18% grats. Sorry. 

I would do my drinking in ports where it's cheaper.  ...I'm not a big drinker though. 

I havent seen any drinks exceed the $14 limit though wine or call brands could. 

Hi, I'm aware of the 18% grats, but are there also taxes on top of grats?

So it's easy to give someone else 2 of your free diamond drinks each day.  You won't be able to split a drink package though.  I usually get a refreshment package and then use my 4 diamond voucher for alcoholic drinks.  I don't usually have more than 2 or 3 a day.

Remember you are allowed to bring two bottles of wine in your carry on bags at embarkation.  That might influence your calculations a bit.

I’m not an expert but I think whether VAT applies during the entire cruise or only while in EU ports depends on itinerary (whether there is a non-EUport, for example).  So you may need to include more details about your cruise.

Edited by Starry Eyes

4 hours ago, nyletak said:

Also just looking for any advice overall.

Welcome to CC.

Only you would know your drinking pattern - the break even for you would be about 7 drinks/day (2 free+5 from drink package). Unless you know for sure you'll drink that much (somewhat unlikely on a Med cruise), skip the package and buy a la carte.

• Like 3

I'd just stick to buying a la carte, as Biker suggested.  You're going to be off the ship on most days.  We always drink more on a Caribbean cruise, as opposed to drinking on a  Mediterranean cruise.  Enjoy!!🛳️

Welcome to CC!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nyletak said:

Hi, I'm aware of the 18% grats, but are there also taxes on top of grats?

Yes as an intra EU sailing there is tax to pay in addition to the tips. 

Here are the drinks packages costs if you bought onboard,  for Wonder 7n last year to give you an idea of how much the taxes push the prices up.

E7EFB011-57E2-4C73-AC11-EF5F8BAFF017.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

Only you would know your drinking pattern - the break even for you would be about 7 drinks/day (2 free+5 from drink package). Unless you know for sure you'll drink that much (somewhat unlikely on a Med cruise), skip the package and buy a la carte.

Thank you! That's what I was thinking as well. Just wasn't sure if other people had the same experience/thoughts.

36 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I'd just stick to buying a la carte, as Biker suggested.  You're going to be off the ship on most days.  We always drink more on a Caribbean cruise, as opposed to drinking on a  Mediterranean cruise.  Enjoy!!🛳️

Welcome to CC!!

Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought I would drink more on a Caribbean cruise vs. Mediterranean. Unless the drink package goes on sale any further (unlikely) then I won't be buying it, I don't think.

11 minutes ago, little britain said:

Yes as an intra EU sailing there is tax to pay in addition to the tips. 

Here are the drinks packages costs if you bought onboard,  for Wonder 7n last year to give you an idea of how much the taxes push the prices up.

E7EFB011-57E2-4C73-AC11-EF5F8BAFF017.jpeg

Thank you for this. I knew the drink packages have tax I just wasn't sure about the individual drinks, but it looks like the 14 USD includes taxes, and then you have 18% gratuities on top.

• Like 1