How is the new process of only once a day cabin cleaning going?

AK Dreaming

2 hours ago, Kierste said:

On our embarkation day a couple of weeks ago, the stewards worked until all the bags were delivered and then were done—again at around 6 pm. We didn’t even meet ours that day, met him the next morning. We got into our room at 2:30 pm and he was evidently around because there was a cart in the hall, but we didn’t see him.

As far as emptying the fridge goes, I did it myself and put the items back in the fridge myself on our last morning.

good to know.  I was always afraid that the steward would notice them gone during the sailing and assumed you drank them.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, uneamie said:

Is there a way to have it "noted" before you board to have the bed separated? Once we board and our room is ready it is sometimes hard to find the room steward to request this. And, I don't really care about the twice a day service. My goodness they are really over worked with little down time.....shame on NC. How about letting us get our own ICE??? I hate bothering them when they are sooo busy. I can easily get my own. ugh! 

IIRC I believe there is an option when you do the online check in as to how you want your bed.  

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 4:26 PM, jimsig said:

IIRC I believe there is an option when you do the online check in as to how you want your bed.  

I know Carnival asks when you do online check in but unless something has changed since July, NCL does not ask.  Hopefully it gets added on to their check in since we probably will not see the steward the first day.

• Like 3

Call into NCL or do a live online chat - they will note the request in the system for houskeeping ... and, it's generally taken care of by the room steward assigned ... ooops, room "attendant"  

Otherwise, leave a "sticky" note inside the cabin where the steward can see it easily, add other request like ice bucket, coffee maker, extra glass and towels, etc.   

Turnaround day when the ship is in the port is always hectic and now, going to be mad busy ... dining stewards and even the gallery stewards shifted to moving luggage & collecting linens, towels and sheets, etc. 

• Like 2

On our sailing of the Gem, I think they had just switched to once a day. On embarkation day, when we first entered our room, we only had two towels in the bathroom (we're a family of 4). We saw our steward in the hall. He was coming in and out still helping to deliver bags. He never introduced himself by name, but made himself known and was very friendly. He asked if we wanted a mattress topper too. When we came back from the muster drill and registering at splash academy, the topper was on the bed, we had extra towels, and the child sized life jackets were delivered.

We also needed the couch turned into a bed. He had also asked us about our preferences for that. While we were gone to dinner, we came back to our room with the couch made into a bed. We indicated that we preferred him to return it into a couch during the day, and he was doing that, coming back to turn into a bed later in the evening. But that was all he did, set up the bed. He didn't re-make the bed if we had napped in it during the day, and he didn't empty trash, take plates, etc. When we came back from our first port day, we noticed the bed was left out instead of converted back into a couch. I figured it's because it was a port day and he correctly assumed we'd be out most of the day anyway, not really using our room. But when the final sea days on our return half of the trip came around, he never went back to making it into a couch each morning. There were definitely times I wished it were a couch so I could have some place to sit while my kids napped (balcony was getting too cold), but it is what it is. I'm sure our steward had a good reason for it- either that's what he was instructed to do, or the new work load was more than he anticipated. Who knows. I didn't hold it against him. 

• Like 3

Recently on the Encore, we asked our cabin steward for ice in the morning and make up the room when we left for breakfast. Just put on the make up room lite. We were fine with just once a day. Saw our steward during the day in hallway and he always asked if we needed anything else.

He was great. Tipped generously.

• Like 4

I'm honestly a little excited to see the new changes when I go onboard later this month. On our past three cruises we saw our room attendant multiple times during the day, like every single time we walked to/from our room. Will we see them as much now? I'm definitely curious, especially after everyone's reports that they never, or very rarely, saw their room attendant. 

15 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm honestly a little excited to see the new changes when I go onboard later this month. On our past three cruises we saw our room attendant multiple times during the day, like every single time we walked to/from our room. Will we see them as much now? I'm definitely curious, especially after everyone's reports that they never, or very rarely, saw their room attendant. 

In the Haven, you should not be affected by changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

In the Haven, you should not be affected by changes.

I know we'll still have twice a day service, though we are toying with just telling the room attendant to ignore the second service of the day. We honestly don't need it, although on cruises (and hotels) I enjoy the luxury of using a towel once. Just an oddity of my personality. At home, like most civilized people, I use a towel for about a week. 

I'm not staying in the Haven proper, but outside. Same with the other cruises. So, though we can get the twice a day service, I'm really curious if we see the room attendant as much as previous times when we were also not in the Haven proper. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I know we'll still have twice a day service, though we are toying with just telling the room attendant to ignore the second service of the day. We honestly don't need it, although on cruises (and hotels) I enjoy the luxury of using a towel once. Just an oddity of my personality. At home, like most civilized people, I use a towel for about a week. 

I'm not staying in the Haven proper, but outside. Same with the other cruises. So, though we can get the twice a day service, I'm really curious if we see the room attendant as much as previous times when we were also not in the Haven proper. 

I completely understand. We (mostly) stay in an AFT also. 

On 2/28/2023 at 11:03 PM, uneamie said:

Is there a way to have it "noted" before you board to have the bed separated? Once we board and our room is ready it is sometimes hard to find the room steward to request this. And, I don't really care about the twice a day service. My goodness they are really over worked with little down time.....shame on NC. How about letting us get our own ICE??? I hate bothering them when they are sooo busy. I can easily get my own. ugh! 

they will usually make an educated guess.   for example, the beds are always together when i travel with my fiance.  when ive sailed with my mom, they are separated.   they were also separated when i traveled with my sister which of course could have gone either way (we could have been friends wanting them separate or a same sex couple wanting them together).   

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 8:03 PM, uneamie said:

I usually have my travel agent make a request to have the beds separated when he makes my booking.

• Like 2

I usually order room service at night or have breakfast in cabin. Not sure what the proper etiquette is, but I leave the dishes, tray in the cabin (some leave in hall/entry). In a balcony, that shrapnel does take up space. Usually can count on that being gone midday-ish, now sounds like I could be living with that potentially until like 2000? Have they been quicker to remove old trays left in the hallway?

On 3/2/2023 at 9:19 PM, AwesomO said:

On our sailing of the Gem, I think they had just switched to once a day. On embarkation day, when we first entered our room, we only had two towels in the bathroom (we're a family of 4). We saw our steward in the hall. He was coming in and out still helping to deliver bags. He never introduced himself by name, but made himself known and was very friendly. He asked if we wanted a mattress topper too. When we came back from the muster drill and registering at splash academy, the topper was on the bed, we had extra towels, and the child sized life jackets were delivered.

We also needed the couch turned into a bed. He had also asked us about our preferences for that. While we were gone to dinner, we came back to our room with the couch made into a bed. We indicated that we preferred him to return it into a couch during the day, and he was doing that, coming back to turn into a bed later in the evening. But that was all he did, set up the bed. He didn't re-make the bed if we had napped in it during the day, and he didn't empty trash, take plates, etc. When we came back from our first port day, we noticed the bed was left out instead of converted back into a couch. I figured it's because it was a port day and he correctly assumed we'd be out most of the day anyway, not really using our room. But when the final sea days on our return half of the trip came around, he never went back to making it into a couch each morning. There were definitely times I wished it were a couch so I could have some place to sit while my kids napped (balcony was getting too cold), but it is what it is. I'm sure our steward had a good reason for it- either that's what he was instructed to do, or the new work load was more than he anticipated. Who knows. I didn't hold it against him. 

Since you are a family of 4, did you use both the couch and the overhead pullman bed?  We are family of 3 and I was wondering which one we should use for our third person.  I'm not sure if the couch or the pullman bed is more comfortable.

Just off Bliss. I had no issues with once a day. I’m not sure it’s going well for everyone though. One day, I saw an elderly man arguing with a steward, because the man was trying to drag a vacuum to do his own room. Yes, one of the big grey ones.

If self-vacuuming is what NCL is moving toward, shame on you Norwegian

My Steward was able to adapt to my changing schedule of days and nights. Requested extra towels - got them for the cruise. Bed foam padding - got it on day 2. Also,

They do not offer hard bars of soap in steerage any more. I probably could have fought for a handful of the Bvlgari ones from the haven but next time I’ll just bring a loofah or my own bars.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wtang said:

Since you are a family of 4, did you use both the couch and the overhead pullman bed?  We are family of 3 and I was wondering which one we should use for our third person.  I'm not sure if the couch or the pullman bed is more comfortable.

Our room did not have a pullman, but that was fine for us because we knew our son would sleep with us in the bed, while our daughter had the fold out couch. The couch was very hard, so unless you like a firm bed, the pullman might be better. I think they can put a foam topper on the couch for some additional comfort. my daughter had no complaints, but she's only 9. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, AwesomO said:

Our room did not have a pullman, but that was fine for us because we knew our son would sleep with us in the bed, while our daughter had the fold out couch. The couch was very hard, so unless you like a firm bed, the pullman might be better. I think they can put a foam topper on the couch for some additional comfort. my daughter had no complaints, but she's only 9. 

Did the steward make up the bed and return to a sofa each day?

Not going well on the Feb 26 Getaway. I originally thought no big deal but didn’t realize that the stewards have double the rooms than before. That means that you may get your morning service at 5pm.Imagine coming back to your cabin after a long day and wanting to take a shower. No dry towels and the room steward is trying to get in the room. When asked why do late he said everyone requested early. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bedfordmom said:

Not going well on the Feb 26 Getaway. I originally thought no big deal but didn’t realize that the stewards have double the rooms than before. That means that you may get your morning service at 5pm.Imagine coming back to your cabin after a long day and wanting to take a shower. No dry towels and the room steward is trying to get in the room. When asked why do late he said everyone requested early. 

That’s exactly what happened to us on the Gem … got back after a tour at 3PM … Our room was still not cleaned for the day… I called the front desk to request two towels to shower and I asked her when she thought our room would be done… we were told it could be as late as 6PM! That’s ridiculous!! It really doesn’t bother me that night turn down is no longer done, but to have a room cleaned that late is unacceptable in my opinion! 

• Like 6

In every hotel I've stayed in lately, there's been a cart of "help yourself" towels in the hall, and one even had a large trash bin in the hall to empty your own trash. 

Wouldn't it make sense to have these on board now with the service cuts, as well as a help-yourself ice machine on every deck? 

How are people getting ice at night with these changes? 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, JamesIowa said:

I usually order room service at night or have breakfast in cabin. Not sure what the proper etiquette is, but I leave the dishes, tray in the cabin (some leave in hall/entry). In a balcony, that shrapnel does take up space. Usually can count on that being gone midday-ish, now sounds like I could be living with that potentially until like 2000? Have they been quicker to remove old trays left in the hallway?

yes, they've been removing the dishes from the hallway quickly. At least for us they did. We originally had asked someone where we could put them-- we were going to try to deposit them with the staff in the buffet-- but they told us to just leave it in the hallway.

@AK Dreamingoriginally our steward was putting the bed back as a couch and then coming and converting it to a bed in the afternoon/evening, but he stopped doing that on day 3 or 4 🤷‍♀️ Maybe just had too much work 

Edited by AwesomO

On 3/5/2023 at 1:47 PM, JamesIowa said:

We ordered room service breakfast several times last week and left the trays in the room. The steward then put them in the hallway.  Sometimes they were gone within an hour, and one day they were in the hall still at 4pm.  The cabin was always serviced soon after we left it.