Canaletto shutting down (temporarily?) on Rotterdam March 8

Turtles06

What gets me is that everyone always assumes that changes are negative. I enjoy change. Changes could bring better food (although I think HAL does pretty well), better entertainment, etc. I look forward to this new change and what it means to our upcoming voyage.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, funntheson said:

What gets me is that everyone always assumes that changes are negative. I enjoy change. Changes could bring better food (although I think HAL does pretty well), better entertainment, etc. I look forward to this new change and what it means to our upcoming voyage.

I don’t think “everyone” was assuming that.  I saw very little of that but maybe I glossed over that.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I don’t think “everyone” was assuming that.  I saw very little of that but maybe I glossed over that.

I agree, little negativity re possible menu changes. Folks seem happy that favorite dishes might be available more frequently. The negativity is over the absurd process through which HAL is rolling this out 

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I am not specifically referring to this instance. I see it quite often on these boards. And, yes, "everyone" was an intentional exaggeration. 

LOL... here's another twist to story. I called HAL, and was informed, restaurant has been removed at the request of the Rotterdam Caneletto staff, as they wish to manage their own reservations onboard the ship. All reservations made prior to this decision will be honoured. ( I have reservations and have received no refund, so am assuming this is correct info re honouring the dinner.) FYI... it was Guest Services who had this info... Dinner/Excursion dept  told me that HAL doesn't manage the website, it's done elsewhere, so there must be a mistake.....yikes... think there needs to be some extra training happening......... 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 3Shelaghs said:

LOL... here's another twist to story. I called HAL, and was informed, restaurant has been removed at the request of the Rotterdam Caneletto staff, as they wish to manage their own reservations onboard the ship. All reservations made prior to this decision will be honoured. ( I have reservations and have received no refund, so am assuming this is correct info re honouring the dinner.) FYI... it was Guest Services who had this info... Dinner/Excursion dept  told me that HAL doesn't manage the website, it's done elsewhere, so there must be a mistake.....yikes... think there needs to be some extra training happening......... 

You just can't make this stuff up.   (And I had an even more frustrating call today with HAL Shorex.  My brain is still fried over that one.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What is more frustrating for me is that we can't even book our reservations yet for our November Koningsdam cruise.  I called HAL and was told about 4 months out they will open up online specialty restaurant bookings. This makes no sense whatsoever, considering we can book reservations on our Celebrity cruises over a year out.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 5:37 AM, JanDom said:

We will be in Rotterdam by the 20th of may for 14 days. We tried to book Canaletto yesterday and I couldn’t find it anywhere. 
so hopefully we can book in advance or on board…

We are on the same cruise, and have a reservation at Canaletto one night, but we booked a few weeks ago. We'll see what happens.

6 hours ago, 3Shelaghs said:

Pretty interesting. We also have Caneletto reservations for a May cruise, and didn't receive any notice, so this makes since. I wonder why the staff want it that way...

15 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Pretty interesting. We also have Caneletto reservations for a May cruise, and didn't receive any notice, so this makes since. I wonder why the staff want it that way...

Don’t assume that they do. This may just be other misinformation from a HAL phone rep. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, terrydtx said:

What is more frustrating for me is that we can't even book our reservations yet for our November Koningsdam cruise.  I called HAL and was told about 4 months out they will open up online specialty restaurant bookings. This makes no sense whatsoever, considering we can book reservations on our Celebrity cruises over a year out.

I am willing to bet it allows any price increases to kick in first.  Many will complain (and they will....), but the way I see it is if I make a reservation three months in advance at restaraunt in the states, I get the menu price when I show up, not menu price when I book.

I have an October cruise that I wish to book to lock in Birthday dinners etc., not so much worried about price. 

• Like 2

On 3/2/2023 at 12:56 PM, terrydtx said:

Specialty restaurant reservations for the Nieuw Statendam 7/12/23 sailing opened up about 7 months prior to the sail date.  I had been told by HAL customer service about six months ahead so it's probably worth checking starting 6-7 months out.

Edited by raccoon wife
Correct ship info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, raccoon wife said:

Specialty restaurant reservations for the Rotterdam 3/18/23 sailing opened up about 7 months prior to the sail date.  I had been told by HAL customer service about six months ahead so it's probably worth checking starting 6-7 months out.

Our booking confirmation for our HAL Rotterdam sailing on 7/1/23 said that for speciality dining, "reservations and dining times will be available to pre-reserve by July 6, 2021," which of course was ridiculous and did not happen (nor did I expect it to).   We were in fact able to make reservations in late December 2022, about 6 months out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have two future HAL cruises, the first is September 3rd on the Westerdam. I cannot make reservations for either Pinnacle or Caneletto. But then that is 6 months from today so maybe tomorrow.We have booked shore excursions with no problems.  I also have Dec 10th for Nieuw Statendam and also cannot make any dining reservations or shor excursions yet another person in our traveling group can make dining reservations but only on her ipad of the HAL App??? Very strange.

30 minutes ago, kopykat said:

caneletto reservations are back BUT notice the huge price increase. Have added a lobster-shrimp ravioli to the menu

Thanks for the alert.

The menu now appearing in my account (which does have the lobster-shrimp ravioli, so I'm assuming it's the new menu per your info above) is still showing nightly specials, contrary to information posted earlier in this thread that those were being eliminated.  Price is $29.50.  Screenshot of menu below.   Not sure why HAL had to create all that needless drama by shutting down the reservation system with no explanation.

CanalettoMenu3-5-23.thumb.png.550236d0d255f63c738cbcff9f618d12.png

• Like 1

Update to what I posted above: although my HAL account now shows that Canaletto is again available to reserve, if I actually try to make a reservation (for our July 1-22 cruise), I'm not able to.  So maybe HAL is still in the process of rolling it all out, though for sure that higher price is showing.  

BTW, does the $29.50 include the 18% service charge, or does that get added just before you finalize the purchase?  (Either way, a big increase in price.)

38 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Update to what I posted above: although my HAL account now shows that Canaletto is again available to reserve, if I actually try to make a reservation (for our July 1-22 cruise), I'm not able to.  So maybe HAL is still in the process of rolling it all out, though for sure that higher price is showing.  

BTW, does the $29.50 include the 18% service charge, or does that get added just before you finalize the purchase?  (Either way, a big increase in price.)

I'm pretty certain those prices include the service charge.  I don't recall it ever being added at the end. I'm just imagining the portion of that ravioli.  I bet it will be one or two squares.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

The menu now appearing in my account (which does have the lobster-shrimp ravioli, so I'm assuming it's the new menu per your info above) is still showing nightly specials, contrary to information posted earlier in this thread that those were being eliminated.

That's the same menu as on our January/February cruise on the Eurodam. But it's not the same as what is on https://rogerjett-photography.com/  

4 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

That's the same menu as on our January/February cruise on the Eurodam. But it's not the same as what is on https://rogerjett-photography.com/  

Well, maybe all that's been rolled out so far is the new price, but not exactly the new menu.   Still three more days till March 8.  Maybe there will be a big reveal.   🙂 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I have had a reservation for May on the N. Statendam.  Made it about 6 weeks ago.  Price for 2 is $44.80 ($22.40pp)  Yes, that is a good increase.  Makes me wonder if your reservation was cancelled so that they can charge more.  I will be ticked if that happens!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

I have had a reservation for May on the N. Statendam.  Made it about 6 weeks ago.  Price for 2 is $44.80 ($22.40pp)  Yes, that is a good increase.  Makes me wonder if your reservation was cancelled so that they can charge more.  I will be ticked if that happens!

Our reservation in July hasn't been cancelled.  What they told me on the phone the other day is that folks with existing reservations for after March 8 will get an update letter.  (OTOH, the phone rep pretty much gave me misinformation all around, so who knows what will happen.  🙃)

Our dinner is booked under the HIA promo (but shows it would otherwise have been $44.80 for two. Yes, a pretty hefty increase).