Paying in cash

Vampiress88

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

I know I can pay my drinks balance off in cash 

can you pay for upcoming cruises in cash whilst on board? 

Not exactly sure if you mean final balance don't think that is possible. If you mean for future cruise bookings I am aware of you can't charge to your cruise card you must use debit or credit card but never seen anyone pay in cash.

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

I don't see why not; as has already been written, you just can't charge it to your cruise card.

Are you planning on winning big on the slots, and using that when you cash out?😉

4 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

I paid by cash a few years ago and didn't use credit card but you have to leave money behind Customer Services desk at start of cruise and the amount you spend each day is taken off so if you spend a lot you can always top it up.

11 hours ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

I paid by cash a few years ago and didn't use credit card but you have to leave money behind Customer Services desk at start of cruise and the amount you spend each day is taken off so if you spend a lot you can always top it up.

Vamps said .."I know I can pay my drinks balance off in cash "  Which is what you did .

She also asks . . "can you pay for upcoming cruises in cash whilst on board? "

ie .. take a few grand onboard and pay for the upcoming cruises which looking at 

the link I put in my last post suggests not .

As other posters have put, a card of some sort seems the more sensible option even 

if it were possible to pay in cash . 

Had you paid for your next cruise in cash whilst onboard and once back home you find 

the cruise is being cancelled . Would P&O  pay you back in cash ? Doubt it .

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

No disrespect to Vamps, but why on earth would you want to pay in cash ? It's not as if we are talking just a few hundred pounds.

I agree with you; however, she doesn't specify whether it is her intention to pay for a cruise in full or just the deposit. She writes about paying for an upcoming cruise whilst on board; so, if it is just the deposit of £50pp, then that's not a lot in the great scheme of things. If though, it is her intention to pay for a cruise in full using cash, I would, as others have done, wonder why.

Vamps, please clarify.🙂

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, wowzz said:

No disrespect to Vamps, but why on earth would you want to pay in cash ? It's not as if we are talking just a few hundred pounds.

I can only think that for some reason she doesn't trust cards.  My dad was like that, he used to go to the bank every week to draw out enough cash to last him the week.  If he had to pay something of high value he would give me or one of my sisters the cash to put into our account and we would give him a cheque for the amount that he needed to pay.

My f-i-l also never had a card, my m-i-l used to pay everything on her card.  I think that some people like my parents and in-laws were of a generation that didn't really trust cards but it is unusual to have someone of the younger generation to feel this way.

When we have booked on board we have been asked for a bank card, even if it’s a small amount it’s never been suggested that it could be added to your on board account. I too am intrigued why you wish to pay with cash, I realise that some people have strong beliefs about credit and debt but I am sure that a debit card can be used, although someone may correct me. The only downside with debit/cashpoint cards is that you have to keep track or check your balance, where in the old days of been paid in cash in a brown envelope you could see how much was left in it or your wallet. As for paying the balance you can pay most TA’s by bank transfer that’s the nearest thing to cash, I would be concerned that if I turned up at a respectable company with thousands in cash that it would have to be reported under money laundering regs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Going to Norway soon. Not taking any cash as they don't like it. Lots of places here won't take cash either, even cafe's, car parking machines, are going that way.

I have always taken a small amount of currency and have never had it refused in cafes and shops in the Scandinavian countries.  I do think that it is easier to use cards but I have never had a problem using cash anywhere in the world.

I would hazard a guess that the reason you have to pay by card when booking on board is for accounting purposes. P&O/Carnival will have multiple accounts and if they follow good accounting practice the account used for future bookings will be "ring-fenced" in order that that money is protected - whereas everyday business will use other accounts.

Also, as others have mentioned, it is a lot easier to process a refund via a card than by cash (totally impractical) or by cheque.

No I actually love cards. Especially my credit card that shows my transactions immediately. 

but over the past year we’ve sold motorbikes, then the motorbike clothing, a brand new phone i bought through my card but then I didn’t like it so sold it on Face cloth which they then gave me cash for etc, some jewellery. I now have a large wad of cash again, same thing happened when we sold the motorbike, he paid all in £20s-bank transfer would have been better but he wouldn’t do it. 
Anyway I was talking to my friend who is my hairdresser, she’s the mum of my youngest friend at school and I was talking about putting this cash into the bank every few month and that I was sick of going into town to do it, as we hardly ever go town, and she said it looks weird me going to the bank with all this cash. She’s now got me a bit paranoid. 
I don’t know why I am cos I can prove the sale of the phone and the motorbike- properly could for other stuff too. 
plus I’ll be selling my car in June as I’m getting a new one and that could be even more cash unless I go with the “sell any car” type. 
she suggested that I just pay off my holidays in cash instead. 

I’ve already got deposits down on three cruises. So I would be paying off the closest one at £1700. 

im going a bit crazy aren’t I? 

We also have two money boxes for coins and notes that are for holiday money. Bet there’s a chunk in there too cos we’ve been saving that since 2019 but it’s my rainy day fund- but that’s again cash that I’d have to bank it eventually 

17 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

No I actually love cards. Especially my credit card that shows my transactions immediately. 

but over the past year we’ve sold motorbikes, then the motorbike clothing, a brand new phone i bought through my card but then I didn’t like it so sold it on Face cloth which they then gave me cash for etc, some jewellery. I now have a large wad of cash again, same thing happened when we sold the motorbike, he paid all in £20s-bank transfer would have been better but he wouldn’t do it. 
Anyway I was talking to my friend who is my hairdresser, she’s the mum of my youngest friend at school and I was talking about putting this cash into the bank every few month and that I was sick of going into town to do it, as we hardly ever go town, and she said it looks weird me going to the bank with all this cash. She’s now got me a bit paranoid. 
I don’t know why I am cos I can prove the sale of the phone and the motorbike- properly could for other stuff too. 
plus I’ll be selling my car in June as I’m getting a new one and that could be even more cash unless I go with the “sell any car” type. 

I’ve already got deposits down on three cruises. So I would be paying off the closest one at £1700. 

We also have two money boxes for coins and notes that are for holiday money. Bet there’s a chunk in there too cos we’ve been saving that since 2019 but it’s my rainy day fund- but that’s again cash that I’d have to bank it eventually 

I don’t know why I am cos I can prove the sale of the phone and the motorbike- properly could for other stuff too. 

In that case I'd have no problem taking however much to deposit in the bank.  Why would they refuse it?  Is there a limit on cash deposits? 

Tbh I'd be more concerned about the large amounts of cash from buyers of expensive items you are selling.  What's wrong with a bank transfer? 

Edited by kruzseeka

16 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Vamps - thanks for coming back to us.

With regards to selling the car, a bank transfer has to be the way to go, if selling to a private individual.  I'm assuming you are not selling an old banger for a few hundred quid, so anyone who wants to pay you thousands of pounds in cash, needs to be treated with extreme caution. 

Without being alarmist, if you accept a large amount of cash, from an unknown individual,  you could be breaking various money laundering laws. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Thanks for the explanation, I did not really think that you were a master criminal. I think I would get paranoid holding, transporting and dealing with large amounts of cast these days. But unless you are dealing with a local travel agent or live near the online TA’s offices you are going to have the travelling problems. The banks in small towns are closing at a rapid rate but I believe that cash can be paid into your bank account at a sub post office. I think that you will be relived once the storage of the cash is someone else’s problem.

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Vamps - thanks for coming back to us.

With regards to selling the car, a bank transfer has to be the way to go, if selling to a private individual.  I'm assuming you are not selling an old banger for a few hundred quid, so anyone who wants to pay you thousands of pounds in cash, needs to be treated with extreme caution. 

Without being alarmist, if you accept a large amount of cash, from an unknown individual,  you could be breaking various money laundering laws. 

suppose it depends on what a large amount of cash is really. 

the bike was £2.5k all in 20s. He was about 55-60ish. That was deposited back in October few months after we sold it. 

this new phone was the new Samsung one, couldn’t get along with it at all,I’ll stick to apple from now on but he paid in cash too. 

If it’s a private seller for the car I’ll just have to ask for a bank transfer then. It’s just most vehicles weve sold has always been cash if it’s not worth much. My car is maybe about £2k on the car buying site. Maybe more private. That’s why I thought that the car would pay for the holiday.  

Just now, Bill Y said:

Thanks for the explanation, I did not really think that you were a master criminal. I think I would get paranoid holding, transporting and dealing with large amounts of cast these days. But unless you are dealing with a local travel agent or live near the online TA’s offices you are going to have the travelling problems. The banks in small towns are closing at a rapid rate but I believe that cash can be paid into your bank account at a sub post office. I think that you will be relived once the storage of the cash is someone else’s problem.

haha I haven’t got the brains to be a master criminal. 

yes I could do it at post office. Might be closer. 

9 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

suppose it depends on what a large amount of cash is really. 

the bike was £2.5k all in 20s. He was about 55-60ish. That was deposited back in October few months after we sold it. 

this new phone was the new Samsung one, couldn’t get along with it at all,I’ll stick to apple from now on but he paid in cash too. 

If it’s a private seller for the car I’ll just have to ask for a bank transfer then. It’s just most vehicles weve sold has always been cash if it’s not worth much. My car is maybe about £2k on the car buying site. Maybe more private. That’s why I thought that the car would pay for the holiday.  

We sold my wife's beloved Fiat 500 late last year, through an online dealer. Take any estimate from an online firm with a large pinch of salt, especially "we buy any car".