Rest Stops going to Cape Liberty from LI

Nana57

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Wow ,you probably have a better vehicle than we do or drive a tad faster.

We are on the south shore of Nassau County and always hit traffic on the Belt Parkway.According to Waze it is supposed to be a 57 minute drive but it has been 90 minutes always.

Nope I don't speed, and I don't take the Belt Parkway ever to get there. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

All of our cruises in which we drove have been between December and February.We only were on one in a June and then we used car service  and that was not to NJ.

Perhaps in the summer it is a faster ride.

I drove to the port end of February 2 weeks ago and made the same time as I did when I went there in July last year. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, styme123 said:

I drove to the port end of February 2 weeks ago and made the same time as I did when I went there in July last year. 

I guess it is just one of the mysteries of life that will. Ever be explained.Enjoy your future cruises.

I should add that due to disabilities I have not driven since 2003 My wife drives and tends to drive a bit slower than the average driver but not slow enough to be a hazard on the road.

7 minutes ago, styme123 said:

No I don't go through Brooklyn at all. Use Waze or Google maps and it will give you better option than Belt Parkway.

We have only gone to NJ via the Belt Pkwy.Having lived 75 percent of my life in Brooklyn it is our preferred way .If we have to get onto streets we will not get lost

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We have only gone to NJ via the Belt Pkwy.Having lived 75 percent of my life in Brooklyn it is our preferred way .If we have to get onto streets we will not get lost

Sounds good. Go whichever way suits you. I grew up in Brooklyn as well and that's why I avoid the Belt it's always a nightmare, you never know how it will be. Happy cruising!

6 minutes ago, styme123 said:

Sounds good. Go whichever way suits you. I grew up in Brooklyn as well and that's why I avoid the Belt it's always a nightmare, you never know how it will be. Happy cruising!

What part of Brooklyn ? I was born in Crown Heights and later on moved to Canarsie.

• 1 month later...

I am a Long Islander for over 50 years living just south of Plainview ( Farmingdale).

Such fun to read these posts.

First, there is absolutely NO need to get a hotel the night before a cruise in New Jersey if leaving from Plainview.  That would be ridiculous. 

We always take the Southern State to the Belt to the Verrazano and then north to the Port. On a Sunday morning it takes about 90 minutes, maybe less. Other times a bit more depending on time of day. But no need to leave before Dawn! 

I once hired a car service who took us through lower Manhattan and through the Holland Tunnel  That was a disaster! Took hours. Would never advise that! 
In summation, no need to worry about the drive. Leave yourself a couple of hours and you will be fine.

On 4/14/2023 at 9:59 PM, trivia addict said:

I am a Long Islander for over 50 years living just south of Plainview ( Farmingdale).

Such fun to read these posts.

First, there is absolutely NO need to get a hotel the night before a cruise in New Jersey if leaving from Plainview.  That would be ridiculous. 

We always take the Southern State to the Belt to the Verrazano and then north to the Port. On a Sunday morning it takes about 90 minutes, maybe less. Other times a bit more depending on time of day. But no need to leave before Dawn! 

I once hired a car service who took us through lower Manhattan and through the Holland Tunnel  That was a disaster! Took hours. Would never advise that! 
In summation, no need to worry about the drive. Leave yourself a couple of hours and you will be fine.

I find it interesting that people who do not live in NY or do not live in Long Island tell me that going from LI where I have lived a large portion of my life that going to Cape Liberty from Plainview should not be with the Southern State ,Belt and Verrazano .

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I find it interesting that people who do not live in NY or do not live in Long Island tell me that going from LI where I have lived a large portion of my life that going to Cape Liberty from Plainview should not be with the Southern State ,Belt and Verrazano .

Did you not read my first sentence? I have lived on LI close to Plainview for over 50 years and actually it is closer to 60 years. If the Whidbey Island address is throwing you off, that is our vacation home

Have cruised out of NJ many times and always take the SS, Belt, Verrazano. Somehow we always manage to get there with no problem

17 minutes ago, trivia addict said:

Did you not read my first sentence? I have lived on LI close to Plainview for over 50 years and actually it is closer to 60 years. If the Whidbey Island address is throwing you off, that is our vacation home

Have cruised out of NJ many times and always take the SS, Belt, Verrazano. Somehow we always manage to get there with no problem

I was agreeing with you .I was referring to people who do not live in LI or NY .

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I've lived in Long Island and currently live in NJ. I've driven between Long Island and NJ in both directions probably close to three hundred times over more than five decades behind the wheel. I can tell you with absolute certainty that many times there are better ways to drive between the two than using the Southern State, Belt and Verrazzano. 

That doesn't mean that one route is always better or worse than another, it means that you should use Google Maps, Waze or similar programs to determine the best route at the time you're driving. If you don't you run the real risk of spending far more time in your car than you have to. I wish those route mapping programs existed years ago. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I've lived in Long Island and currently live in NJ. I've driven between Long Island and NJ in both directions probably close to three hundred times over more than five decades behind the wheel. I can tell you with absolute certainty that many times there are better ways to drive between the two than using the Southern State, Belt and Verrazzano. 

That doesn't mean that one route is always better or worse than another, it means that you should use Google Maps, Waze or similar programs to determine the best route at the time you're driving. If you don't you run the real risk of spending far more time in your car than you have to. I wish those route mapping programs existed years ago. 

That may be the case,however,in the 80+ years that I I have lived in both Brooklyn and Long Island I have never known anyone who drove to Bayonne by any other route than the Southern State ,Belt Parkway and Verrazano Bridge .

16 hours ago, njhorseman said:

We are in NJ and have family in garden city, my daughter’s boyfriend lives in Smithtown, thank goodness for waze. I’ve lived her my entire life and always use gps on trips I’m very familiar with to avoid accidents. 

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

We are in NJ and have family in garden city, my daughter’s boyfriend lives in Smithtown, thank goodness for waze. I’ve lived her my entire life and always use gps on trips I’m very familiar with to avoid accidents. 

I have been on highways where the GPS voice said to turn left and if we did so we would be in the Hudson River.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have been on highways where the GPS voice said to turn left and if we did so we would be in the Hudson River.

There can be glitches, but it’s saved me many times from traffic. My daughter’s college is 12 hours away, she’s taken the drive several times and the route they take differs depend 95 traffic. 

45 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

There can be glitches, but it’s saved me many times from traffic. My daughter’s college is 12 hours away, she’s taken the drive several times and the route they take differs depend 95 traffic. 

I realize that a gps or a wave can be very helpful.However,I drove in the era of no internet and I had no problems.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I realize that a gps or a wave can be very helpful.However,I drove in the era of no internet and I had no problems.

Got my license in 1984, used to go clubbing in Manhattan a lot, one night ended up going home through the Holland instead of Lincoln tunnel, drove until morning, stopped at a diner, called my dad, who spoke to the owner, and drove to us and we followed him home. So thankful for gps!

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Got my license in 1984, used to go clubbing in Manhattan a lot, one night ended up going home through the Holland instead of Lincoln tunnel, drove until morning, stopped at a diner, called my dad, who spoke to the owner, and drove to us and we followed him home. So thankful for gps!

My days of going to clubs in Manhattan were during a time that people could be on subways and or walk the streets any hour of the night.

My parents never had cars or drove .I did not drive or own a car till I was 29 .