Another Port Question Boston - Bermuda

For those of you who sailed the Boston to Bermuda cruise last spring we read several poor reviews in regards to losing time in Bermuda and going to Bar Harbor. I love Be Harbor and have been many times, however our sons have not been so not a deal breaker if during the summer. However being so far north in Maine in April with nothing really open for the season would stink. 

How far were those who this happened to notified of the port change? Always bring light jackets, sweaters etc. but will I need to pack gloves and scarfs as well?

Thanks

We never left Bermuda earlier, we just went faster home than usual! The schedule was exactly the same as all the cruises I have done Boston-Bermuda. Bar Harbor is wonderful, but depending on how early you go in April it's going to be iffy. I did a girl's trip to Bar Harbor last year on April 8th, and while we had a fantastic time there weren't a lot of restaurants and shops open yet. The weather was actually pretty nice; definitely a jacket needed but certainly not gloves and scarves! But, I'm a Maine girl so what is nice for me may not be nice for everyone 🙂 We did a lot of walking around and enjoyed the quieter town. 

I don't understand why everyone says the time in Bermuda was cut.

I was on the first regular sailing last year. We didn't even know we were going to Bar Harbor until on the ship. I was expecting the one sea day going, and two back. I met one couple that complained we lost a day in Bermuda to accommodate Bar Harbor. If I recall, the couple was from Maine and wouldn't have booked a cruise that went to Bar Harbor. We never lost time in Bermuda.

Now, with that said, I questioned why we were going to Bar Harbor so early in season. For a town that's season doesn't really start until Memorial Day, going before Good Friday meant the sidewalks hadn't even been rolled out yet 🙂

I opted to stay on the ship (the weather was chilly anyways). Apparently Ollie got a trolley running for those that wanted a tour. But, it seems it was a last minute thing. Due to immigration happening on the ship, no one could return until that was completed. There was apparently no other place to wait out of the weather, so some people paid for a tour 🙂

its always been a sailing of 3 sea days.  so now its a sailing of 2 sea days.  no lost time.

you do get slightly more time in bermuda and the fun of Harbor Nights in Hamilton held on Wednesdays if you do the bermuda run from NYC.