Silver Spirits

tocruiseguy

12 minutes ago, cruisewiscrrq said:

Reading other topics about other Viking cruises and passengers complained about no fresh OJ and amount of time pool roof was open!  What about your cruise?

You asking me?  We have been sailing Viking for eight years plus and we've never been served anything but real orange juice.

As to the pool deck roof... January in the Artic Circle, thankfully the roof was kept closed. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, cruisewiscrrq said:

Reading other topics about other Viking cruises and passengers complained about no fresh OJ and amount of time pool roof was open!  What about your cruise?

Juice in World Cafe on Venus was not fresh, not sure if powdered or concentrate, unpleasant anyway. Pool roof closed but we were in the Arctic. No outdoor seating other than smoking area, where all cushions and seats were wet as not covered. 

There were no chairs or tables on aquavit terrace, so other than balcony nowhere in fresh air with seats 

The seats outside is a safety issue. One night with forecast rough seas we noticed out balcony chairs had been lashed into position. I think it’s an itinerary thing. We were on the last northern lights cruise last year. The ship was heading to the Med after. On disembarkation day at Tilbury we noticed the chairs were being put out on the Aquavit terrace. The manager said they were “allowed them” on the next voyage. 

Didn’t bother us we were perfectly happy with where we could sit 

On 4/1/2023 at 9:40 PM, austinetc said:

selling point for the SSBP was and is "Any drinks up to $18.00 USD including premium wines by the glass." But NO glass of wine cost more than $10 on the menu. All their bottles of wine were similarly low priced. When I'm pricing out the

We are currently on Sky and had Chefs table last night. We really enjoyed the red they poured  we have SS, so got the premium wines. We took a picture of the bottle and asked for a glass in the Explorer's Lounge later that evening.. We haven't been to the Restaurant yet, so don't know if it is one of their offerings

• Like 1

we often  find a wine at Chef's Table or Manfredi's that we like and take a picture to use at other bars.  Last cruise I found a White Bordeaux that I enjoyed and after a couple of times ordering it the bartender in the Explorer's Lounge or Livingroom usually had it available or went looking for a bottle.  I like to take a glass of wine or sometimes a cocktail into dinner with me and then I don't get aggravated if it takes a while to get wine at the table. Often times daily included wines were served to tablemates before our order was even taken. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, springtravel said:

We are currently on Sky and had Chefs table last night. We really enjoyed the red they poured  we have SS, so got the premium wines. We took a picture of the bottle and asked for a glass in the Explorer's Lounge later that evening.. We haven't been to the Restaurant yet, so don't know if it is one of their offerings

I'd appreciate it if you could give specifics. Name, vintage, price of glass/bottle. What confused me on our cruise was that most, if not all of the bottles listed had a asterisk denoting them as "not eligible for SSBG pricing". The staff would not open any of these to give me just a glass. All the wines with a per glass fee were about $6, not close to the $15 (now $18) max. I'm not going to consider a $6 glass of wine as "premium". 

We haven't tried to order any other wine yet, nor have we seen or been offered a wine list. This is the bottle we showed to the bartender,  and they served it. We don't know if that would also work in the restaurant, but I can update if we order again. Red wine gives me terrible migraines, and of course, left my meds at home. I am going to try to find more at medical office so I can enjoy the wine offering .

20230402_210630.jpg

Interesting that it is a Sicilian wine. We tried a bottle some times ago when we were binge watching Inspector Montabano on TV and wine was always being drunk.

Now it is one of our go to wine regions to try.

Not been disappointed yet.🍷🍷🍷

We have found a white one that we like as well.

Remember Viking may not have your favorite from your last trip.  the wine list may even change during your cruise.

Edited by deec

On 4/3/2023 at 7:42 AM, austinetc said:

I'd appreciate it if you could give specifics. Name, vintage, price of glass/bottle. What confused me on our cruise was that most, if not all of the bottles listed had a asterisk denoting them as "not eligible for SSBG pricing". The staff would not open any of these to give me just a glass. All the wines with a per glass fee were about $6, not close to the $15 (now $18) max. I'm not going to consider a $6 glass of wine as "premium". 

That doesn't mean you can't buy it.  There are some, let's call them Super Premium wines not on SSBP.  If you buy them you get a 15% discount if on SSBP or rack rate if not on SSBP.  That's the only difference.  If you do not choose to buy the SSBP you simply pay as you go.  All premium liquors and top end wines are available to you just the same.  SSBP is a bookkeeping tactic if you will and a marketing "perk".  You might or might not "break even" on any given day but SSBP does not give you the secret handshake to the good stuff, just a 15% discount.  Can't imagine why this thread has gone on 5 pages.🥃

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

You might or might not "break even" on any given day but SSBP does not give you the secret handshake to the good stuff, just a 15% discount.  Can't imagine why this thread has gone on 5 pages.🥃

What do you mean, might not break even? We were a day ahead by day three. Only affordable booze in Norway. 😊

(has taken us to day 5 in the past, the wine pours are smaller) 

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

What do you mean, might not break even? We were a day ahead by day three. Only affordable booze in Norway. 😊

(has taken us to day 5 in the past, the wine pours are smaller) 

I know it is hard to imagine but there are those souls which do not drink every day.  It was to those who I was offering a bit of advice.🥃

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jim Avery said:

And a big Roll Tide!!! to you as well.  Its a nice day in Arizona we wish the same for yall.

Greetings from the pub, looks to be nice weather outside, haven't gone out to check. 

According to an off duty undertaker the best beer on tap here at the moment is Boltmaker 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Greetings from the pub, looks to be nice weather outside, haven't gone out to check. 

According to an off duty undertaker the best beer on tap here at the moment is Boltmaker 

A lovely ESB from Timothy Taylor.  If they sold Boltmaker onboard a VO ship, I'd never get DH out of the lounge and off the ship!

• Haha 1