When do you start packing?

NoShoes2

I start preparing months in advance. I'm that nerd who considers cruise prep part of the cruise, and I like to spread it out over several weekends. One weekend, I'll pack my medical/ first-aid kit (and, yes, I bring an entire pharmacy with me). One weekend, I'll pack toiletry cases. You get the picture. I hope I never become so jaded I stop getting pleasure from prepping for a cruise.

As far as actually putting everything in suitcases, I do that two weeks in advance. The last weekend is reserved for post-cruise prep like tidying up, cleaning out the fridge (aka- eating all the leftovers from the last 10 days), making sure all the laundry is done, and scheduling any household maintenance that we've been putting off to be done while the ferocious lap dog is at the kennel.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 10:17 AM, Swells1 said:

I hope I never become so jaded I stop getting pleasure from prepping for a cruise.

I agree. I get joy from packing for our cruises. I think that is why I put it off ‘til after my last day of work. To me it mean vacation has started!

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, AlanRRT said:

There are two kinds of people who pack for vacation.  Those who pack a month ahead of time, and those who pack at the very last minute.  They are usually married to each other.

This is true for us! 

I pack for local cruises  about a week or so before , As I am  not flying , there is no  hurry to pack. When I go on a plane or  overseas,, I pack about 6 weeks before as I only do carry on only plus a tote and need to organize exactly what to take in that small space.  It has worked out great. , no issues with lost luggage, and easy to navigate the area I'm going to. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I do my “virtual packing” months ahead. I use a template for 5-4-3-2-1 packing which I made. This virtual packing makes me realize any pieces I may be missing or which may need to be replaced and gives me time to replace them. I sew much of my own clothing so time is important. My trip to Alaska is over 30 weeks away and I was going to only have 2 pairs of shoes till I stumbled upon a pattern to make my own leather shoes which would be perfect. I can’t make a new pair of shoes the night before so planning is key. The physical packing starts about a week before usually. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2024 at 12:32 PM, SoloAlaska said:

I do my “virtual packing” months ahead. I use a template for 5-4-3-2-1 packing which I made. This virtual packing makes me realize any pieces I may be missing or which may need to be replaced and gives me time to replace them. I sew much of my own clothing so time is important. My trip to Alaska is over 30 weeks away and I was going to only have 2 pairs of shoes till I stumbled upon a pattern to make my own leather shoes which would be perfect. I can’t make a new pair of shoes the night before so planning is key. The physical packing starts about a week before usually. 

Please explain the 5-4-3-2-1 packing. I'm intrigued. 

20 hours ago, vandercapellen said:

Please explain the 5-4-3-2-1 packing. I'm intrigued. 

The basics is something like 5 tops, 4 bottoms, 3 shoes, 2 bags, 1 swimsuit. Obviously it can be modified depending on your style and trip but it’s a nice framework to have. Pinterest is a great place to get ideas for this type of packing, you’ll find lots of graphics based on different destinations, climates, and styles.

• Like 1