Cancelling Specialty Dining

DZ77

For our balcony rooms, we have the free at sea promotions and we are automatically getting charged the dining fee surcharge even though we know we have no plans to use the 2 meals (We are a big group, and some of us do not have specialty dining and we all want to eat together in the MDR) 

I know it is not a huge amount of money, but I find it strange that they offer a "promotion" that has a cost to it ($36) and I can't seem to cancel it without canceling the beverage package (which we want to keep).

Anyone ever deal with this? Was anyone able to cancel the dining promotion?

The other option, even though, I don't feel right is removing $36 from the end of cruise gratuities-  Is it all the same pool of money?   Or do you just forget about it and it is what it is. 

When I was booking my cruise, I was able to pick and choose the Free at Sea that I wanted.  I didn't want the beverage package but I did want the specialty dining and wifi.  I just unchecked the boxes during booking.  Is that not an option for you?

• Like 2

Call or chat with NCL. They can take off the specialty dining, only. Or, just keep it and enjoy some interesting (not necessarily amazingly delish) food. 

You cannot take off the specialty dining tips. At least not that I'm aware of. Pretty sure if you keep the package you're stuck with the grats. 

we are more than 120 days out, so not past final payment (though they tell us we can change free at sea promotions up until 2 or 3 days beforehand).

I called NCL and they said it can't be canceled without canceling the beverage package.

I don't see a way to do it on their website either. 

1 hour ago, DZ77 said:

we are more than 120 days out, so not past final payment (though they tell us we can change free at sea promotions up until 2 or 3 days beforehand).

I called NCL and they said it can't be canceled without canceling the beverage package.

I don't see a way to do it on their website either. 

At the time of booking, when done on the website, you have the ability to selectively decide which of the Free At Sea perks you wish to include.  Deselecting the drink package or the dining package removes it and also removes the associated auto-gratuity for that selection.  They don't let you deselect the $50 excursion credit or the internet package because those don't have any gratuities associated with them, so they don't save you by deselecting them.  You can see this by doing a mock booking on ncl.com up to the point where you define your promotional offer.

If you booked via a travel agent or via NCL call center, you probably had the same flexibility, but weren't necessarily told about it.

I have no idea if you can alter this after initial booking.  When you say "though they tell us we can change free at sea promotions up until 2 or 3 days beforehand"... who is "they"?  Perhaps "they" can tell you how to do what you want to do.

What I see in the current promotion terms is "Free at Sea choice(s) must be selected at least 24 hours prior to sailing and cannot be changed on board."  It doesn't really say anything about changing them once you have made them from what I'm seeing. But perhaps if you call enough times, someone can do it who knows how to do it.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Keep in mind people sometimes change their minds about “all eating together every night”…for that low price, I would be inclined to keep said meals…you may want use them at lunch a time or two if nothing else for something different.  What is it, $9 or so per meal? 

If that's truly your plan maybe consider food republic or somewhere like that where you can go have some small plates and desserts a few hours before dinner. More like a late lunch.

Personally I would just pick a couple nights and go enjoy the perk. There's plenty you can do together during the day.

59 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

At the time of booking, when done on the website, you have the ability to selectively decide which of the Free At Sea perks you wish to include.  Deselecting the drink package or the dining package removes it and also removes the associated auto-gratuity for that selection.  They don't let you deselect the $50 excursion credit or the internet package because those don't have any gratuities associated with them, so they don't save you by deselecting them.  You can see this by doing a mock booking on ncl.com up to the point where you define your promotional offer.

If you booked via a travel agent or via NCL call center, you probably had the same flexibility, but weren't necessarily told about it.

I have no idea if you can alter this after initial booking.  When you say "though they tell us we can change free at sea promotions up until 2 or 3 days beforehand"... who is "they"?  Perhaps "they" can tell you how to do what you want to do.

What I see in the current promotion terms is "Free at Sea choice(s) must be selected at least 24 hours prior to sailing and cannot be changed on board."  It doesn't really say anything about changing them once you have made them from what I'm seeing. But perhaps if you call enough times, someone can do it who knows how to do it.

"They" is my NCL sales rep within the groups department as we have 5 cabins.  Spoke to other members of the Groups desk and got similar responses. 

What are the other options to use the specialty dining besides a dinner reservation?  Do I read previous comments correctly that some of the restaurants are open for lunch?  are reservations not necessary at those times? 

45 minutes ago, DZ77 said:

"They" is my NCL sales rep within the groups department as we have 5 cabins.  Spoke to other members of the Groups desk and got similar responses. 

What are the other options to use the specialty dining besides a dinner reservation?  Do I read previous comments correctly that some of the restaurants are open for lunch?  are reservations not necessary at those times? 

Never experienced that, but it must have something to do with the "group program" that was established...on individual bookings, you can always call and add or remove the free-at-sea perks individually as desired right up to about 48hrs before sailing....

That said, since you have a group rate could you cancel your room and rebook it with the group and opt out of dining option then?  

Finally, I don't think you specified the ship, but some of the specialty locations are open for lunch on sea days.  Pinchos Tapas on Escape is one of our favorites for lunch on a sea day...

12 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

Never experienced that, but it must have something to do with the "group program" that was established...on individual bookings, you can always call and add or remove the free-at-sea perks individually as desired right up to about 48hrs before sailing....

That said, since you have a group rate could you cancel your room and rebook it with the group and opt out of dining option then?  

Finally, I don't think you specified the ship, but some of the specialty locations are open for lunch on sea days.  Pinchos Tapas on Escape is one of our favorites for lunch on a sea day...

The Joy

I agree that this rule must be related to it being a group booking.  I think using it at lunch would be the best choice.  You could also go to dinner before your group dinner and have appetizers if none are appealing on the MDR menu.  Or get dessert to go and have it later back in your cabin.later.  It's not the full value of the perk, but it doesn't feel like it's wasted either

20 hours ago, DZ77 said:

We are a big group, and some of us do not have specialty dining and we all want to eat together in the MDR

How did the others cancel their FAS Dining perk? Or did they not book it from the beginning?

10 hours ago, CaptainBazz said:

How did the others cancel their FAS Dining perk? Or did they not book it from the beginning?

Balcony rooms get all 4 free at see.

Inside cabin for the kids get to choose 2- so going with beverage and internet.

14 hours ago, DZ77 said:

Inside cabin for the kids get to choose 2- so going with beverage and internet.

Problem solved...send the kids to the buffet to play on their phones and let the adults go for a nice specialty meal...😜

10 minutes ago, CaptainBazz said:

Problem solved...send the kids to the buffet to play on their phones and let the adults go for a nice specialty meal...😜

Not that simple- we are forced for booking purposes to book 1 adult in each room.  So some adults are booked in the balcony and some in inner cabins.  (we were told we can sleep however we want). And we were also told that based on the Maitre'd/staff at the specialty dining, an adult may be able to take the place of the child who has the Specialty Dining associated with their reservation. (though that is probably a post for another time) 

I understand there are ways we can still take advantage of lunches or split up a as group. 

But the main point is- we are being charged the service fee for the specialty dining "promotion", which can't be canceled.  That seems strange.