Phone call from Princess to offer future cruise package

sns1

I received a phone call from Princess last night.  The rep left a message that he needed to talk to me regarding a future cruise package.  I called back and it was a princess phone line.  I'm never 100% sure when I get calls.  I did leave a vm and this morning the rep called me back.  He wanted to make sure that he was talking to the correct person and had all my information, name, address, how many cruises I've taken, etc.  He said that he had a wonderful package to offer me and told me to get a pen and paper.  He wanted me to write down $7499.  I asked what that was for and he said he would tell me in a few minutes.  He asked me if I had written down the amount that he gave me.  At this point I got annoyed.  I questioned him again that I wanted to know what this was for.  A second time he said he would tell me in a few minutes.  I told him that I was not interested in anything he had to offer me because he wasn't tell me anything. 

Anyone else get a phone call like this?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've never gotten a call like this from Princess.  I had just put in a bid for an upcoming cruise.  I thought maybe that is what the call was about but all he kept saying was he would tell me in a few minutes.

I have read about this on a few other threads here on CC so I am aware of this new 'program' if that is what you want to call it. I did receive a call from a number I didn't recognize (not a California number) a couple months ago and did not answer the call - let it go to voice mail. The voice mail indicated it was Princess Cruises calling to offer a new service and to call them back at the provided number - I did not call back. Then about two weeks ago on a Saturday afternoon I got another call (this time from Santa Clarita, California) and I did answer it as I have a cruise upcoming with Princess Cruises. A gentleman introduced himself as from Princess Cruises, had all my cruise info and status including my two upcoming cruises. He wanted to talk to me about a new vacation program from Princess Cruises but before he could continue I chimed in and said I knew about this program and had no desire to participate/hear anymore info. The gentleman on the phone thanked me for my time and said he would remove my name/number from their call list - so we will see.

• Like 1

Poorly executed marketing program run out of the UK.

When he started to go through all.of my information I just said out of time and hung up. I did complain to Princess about the program and changed my info on the web site concerning calls.

Interesting that no one has come back after taking PrincessPromotions deal to report if this really is a true deal.  

I take that back.  There was a one and done poster tooting praise for the company.

• Like 1

It's legit. 

You basically pay for the package upfront and you get deposited the FCC into your Captain's Circle Account, which can be used towards any Princess cruise 24 months after you purchase a package.  You have 7 days (not sure if business days) from the date of purchase to rescind the purchase.   Then you are given access to the personalized Princess Future Cruise Packages website to make bookings for the non-cruise components of the package.  You can make bookings with the FCCs directly thought Princess (website, CVP, generic reservations), and not Princess Promotions.  Didn't ask if FCCs could be used on a reservation with a TA.

You have to make sure that you use all aspects of the package in order for it to be of savings.  That's what I don't like about the packages.  Yes it sounds nice at first, but if you don't have the vacation time and can't use all aspects then it's not really worth it.  For example, if you buy the "Suite Package"  for $7499, you get $6000 in FCC.  If you don't use the other components of the package, then you got $6000 in FCC, and Princess got to keep the $1499 difference.

Also, be aware that you are responsible for paying any resort fees and all-inclusive fees (if any) to the hotel or resort for the "Premium Hotel Stay" component.  Not sure about about how open the availability of the few hotels they offer are and how future sales will impact availability.  The more people buy into the packages the more will want to redeem rooms, but the number of rooms are finite.  

Princess is doing this to pad their books because they need the money, and they need it now.  It's like buying a gift card for Princess.  They take your money now and you use it later.  However, because the money is already in Princess' possession, they can add it to some column in their accounting.  

Not for all.  Make sure to understand all the components before pulling the trigger.

image.jpeg

Edited by SCX22
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for that information.  I feel like I would have to work very hard to get every dollar out of this package.  Are the land and city stays where Princess normally has passengers booked?

12 minutes ago, sns1 said:

Thanks for that information.  I feel like I would have to work very hard to get every dollar out of this package.  Are the land and city stays where Princess normally has passengers booked?

Let me preface this by saying, I did not purchase any package.  I just asked the Promotions rep to give me temporary access to the personalized Princess Promotions website so I could get a better grasp of what he was selling me.

There is a booking search engine that you can use to search for hotel destinations and dates of travel.  Below are the highlighted destinations on the the hotel stay section of the Promotions website.

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

What is a PromoPoint?

You can use the PromoPoints towards another hotel stay or use it to purchase different merchandise from their the Princess Promotions "Mall" (my term, not Princess Promotions) or home wine delivery.   I was also told you could use the PromoPoints towards the EZAir portion of your cruise but, the rep sounded unsure of this.  I not sure how the PromoPoints would translate to dollar amounts if taking this route. 

image.jpeg

• Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Let me preface this by saying, I did not purchase any package.  I just asked the Promotions rep to give me temporary access to the personalized Princess Promotions website so I could get a better grasp of what he was selling me.

There is a booking search engine that you can use to search for hotel destinations and dates of travel.  Below are the highlighted destinations on the the hotel stay section of the Promotions website.

image.jpeg

Does Princess realize that the telephone etiquette and spiel that the cold-callers are using is cratering any hope that they have of selling this program?  If it is a worthwhile program they should be sending out emails and brochures the same way they do with The Best Sale Ever, or Kids Sail Free promos. But “Grab a pen and paper and write down this number and I will tell you in a little while what this mean?”  Seriously? There is no better way to set this up for failure and cheapen the brand. I expect more from a huckster trying to sell timeshares on the Mexican coast. 

(Sorry SCX22. I know that none of this is your doing. Just wanted to put this out there.)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Does Princess realize that the telephone etiquette and spiel that the cold-callers are using is cratering any hope that they have of selling this program?  If it is a worthwhile program they should be sending out emails and brochures the same way they do with The Best Sale Ever, or Kids Sail Free promos. But “Grab a pen and paper and write down this number and I will tell you in a little while what this mean?”  Seriously? There is no better way to set this up for failure and cheapen the brand. I expect more from a huckster trying to sell timeshares on the Mexican coast. 

(Sorry SCX22. I know that none of this is your doing. Just wanted to put this out there.)

Personally that was the line that made me very suspicious when I got the call a month or two ago. When they tell you to go grab a paper and write this down.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JimmyVWine said:

I suspect they are doing this on a purpose.  It's a pressure sale.  The reps want to catch the customer off guard so they will purchase one right away, so the rep gets credit towards their quota and Princess gets your money.  I'm surprised you're given 7 days to rescind.

On the other hand, the rep did say that this would be going live for all US residents in the 2nd half of 2023, regardless of Captain's Circle status.  Right now, they are trying to hype up the Captain's Circle Platinums and Elites.  

I talked to the Promos rep with EXTREME suspicion.

Thanks for posting the info.  I'm not quite understanding. If I bought the inside package for $3500, I get my $3500 PLUS another $3000 in FCC?  Or am I basically paying an extra $500 for the "land stay" +OBC +points?  If so, I * highly * doubt that 5-day "land stay" is worth $3250.

34 minutes ago, Incognito1 said:

Thanks for posting the info.  I'm not quite understanding. If I bought the inside package for $3500, I get my $3500 PLUS another $3000 in FCC?  Or am I basically paying an extra $500 for the "land stay" +OBC +points?  If so, I * highly * doubt that 5-day "land stay" is worth $3250.

@Incognito1 The highlighted portion of your reply is what you get.  That's how Promos Department is trying to logic the deal they are offering.  Using the "Interior Package" as an example:  You're getting $3000 worth of FCC and are receiving the other components for $499.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SCX22 said:

@Incognito1 The highlighted portion of your reply is what you get.  That's how Promos Department is trying to logic the deal they are offering.  Using the "Interior Package" as an example:  You're getting $3000 worth of FCC and are receiving the other components for $499.

Thank you.  That is in no way a good deal, unless I can stack it with other OBC, book through my TA, and actually get a nicer hotel than I could book on my own for that price.  Guessing there will be "restrictions" that make it not worthwhile. 🙂

IF I could actually get the Westin NYC, it might be worth it.

Edited by Incognito1

Reminds me of a time share sales operation.  All kinds of promises and showing what a great deal it is, but all kinds of way it can blow up when you actually go to use it.

Princess Packages - Interior Package (princesspromotions.com)

"In the event that a hotel may have limited availability on your selected dates, you may also have the option to pay the difference between the value of the certificate and the applicable rate."  It's a third-part (Open Network Exchange Inc) administering this and I'm afraid I'd get burned.  "Provider may offer Purchasers prepaid travel in the form of certificates which may include a room stay for two. Certificates may be upgraded for an additional fee."  "The certificate only covers the property base rate. The certificate does not cover any local taxes or charges, upgrades, additional nights accommodations, food and beverage, travel, transfers, travel insurance, resort fees, or any other related costs and you are solely liable for such costs, which may be due at the time of your booking or upon check-in. Each property’s terms and conditions apply to any booking made at such property and you are responsible for all compliance with corresponding terms.  If you cancel your booking for any reason, you will not be refunded or provided any replacement certificate. "

re: Points "Your package includes a set number of PromoPoints to use in the brand new Princess Promotions marketplace, where you can save up to 50% on everything including wine, merchandise, hotel stays and more!."  So, it's a "savings" not same as cash.

This cheapens the Princess brand even further.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Incognito1 said:

Princess Packages - Interior Package (princesspromotions.com)

"In the event that a hotel may have limited availability on your selected dates, you may also have the option to pay the difference between the value of the certificate and the applicable rate."  It's a third-part (Open Network Exchange Inc) administering this and I'm afraid I'd get burned.  "Provider may offer Purchasers prepaid travel in the form of certificates which may include a room stay for two. Certificates may be upgraded for an additional fee."  "The certificate only covers the property base rate. The certificate does not cover any local taxes or charges, upgrades, additional nights accommodations, food and beverage, travel, transfers, travel insurance, resort fees, or any other related costs and you are solely liable for such costs, which may be due at the time of your booking or upon check-in. Each property’s terms and conditions apply to any booking made at such property and you are responsible for all compliance with corresponding terms.  If you cancel your booking for any reason, you will not be refunded or provided any replacement certificate. "

re: Points "Your package includes a set number of PromoPoints to use in the brand new Princess Promotions marketplace, where you can save up to 50% on everything including wine, merchandise, hotel stays and more!."  So, it's a "savings" not same as cash.

This cheapens the Princess brand even further.

The people running open network exchange

Seems to have started a similar business in the past

International Cruise and Excursion   since renamed to Arrivia

This is the Better Business Bureau customer review page for that company

https://www.bbb.org/us/az/scottsdale/profile/travel-club/arrivia-inc-1126-36004895/customer-reviews

Now I know why the call had a timeshare sales feel to it.  This is an article about one of the founders from back in 2012

https://inbusinessphx.com/in-business/marcia-rowley-trading-timeshares#.ZAQmQHbMLIU

Edited by ldtr