Symphony Miami terminal question

Been a long time since I sailed out of Miami.  I’m posting this here becoming I’m curious about the terminal for Symphony and how easy or hard it is to drop off and check in.  For Symphony, how is the terminal?   We will be in rental car and my plan is to drop the wife and kids off and then drop off the car myself and shuttle or Uber back.  Right now drop off is at the Miami airport.  I could move it to a location closer but I’ve read that can take a while anyway due to congested traffic.  Any thoughts?

Any tips or advice from resent Symphony cruisers?  I assume they could check in and then wait for me, but is that possible since it will be just her with the kids and both parents need to be there?   Does the Symphony terminal have anywhere comfortable to wait outside.   I assume inside does, but that probably requires checking in first?  Anyone know?   Trying to minimize the pain for my wife while she has our three little ones and I do drop off the rental. 

Thanks for any info/advice.  

Edited by topnole

38 minutes ago, topnole said:

Been a long time since I sailed out of Miami.  I’m posting this here becoming I’m curious about the terminal for Symphony and how easy or hard it is to drop off and check in.  For Symphony, how is the terminal?   We will be in rental car and my plan is to drop the wife and kids off and then drop off the car myself and shuttle or Uber back.  Right now drop off is at the Miami airport.  I could move it to a location closer but I’ve read that can take a while anyway due to congested traffic.  Any thoughts?

Any tips or advice from resent Symphony cruisers?  I assume they could check in and then wait for me, but is that possible since it will be just her with the kids and both parents need to be there?   Does the Symphony terminal have anywhere comfortable to wait outside.   I assume inside does, but that probably requires checking in first?  Anyone know?   Trying to minimize the pain for my wife while she has our three little ones and I do drop off the rental. 

Thanks for any info/advice.  

The terminal is like any other cruise terminal. There are porters on the curb to take luggage. To check-in, you'll have to go through security screening and get to the check-in counter up stairs. 

There used to be a few seats outside of security screening, but inside the air conditioned terminal (we're talking about high 80s temp and high 80's humidity,,, in an area chucked full of auto and bus exhaust outside). 

The traffic and congestion around the terminal is terrible. You're trying to get 6000 people off the ship at the same time,,,, and 6000 people dropped off and checked-in. At times, it has taken us 30 minutes to get from the entrance of the port to the terminal. Your round trip to the airport could take upwards of an hour. Logistically, I would drop the bags (if you have a lot) then the whole family go to the airport and Uber XL back to the terminal. Or just Uber XL with your family and bags. 

That's the best I can offer,,, we have done suites check-in the last few cruises, so I have not out in the general check in area. 

image.png.5de350e3e17f3a38e6013a4e75c4773f.png

image.png.2a5d273a1b65ff1789f5cbccbbd68966.png

image.png.487fda94118a769115259d60e46716eb.png

image.png.3932e272ef3b45ba5f30d90a062ffd20.png

There used to be a small area up the escalators, but before you enter security screening - but 6000+ people will be pushing through this area. 

image.png.294f1ea236a9cd11cd2d07d8008234a1.png

image.png.647469a8034a4d79989ac099ec0a8e6f.png

image.png.6579a9d61a18b1e530e94fc0c3280731.png

image.png.b8ddfbcc1bc4c97c35f62d10b6076588.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The terminal is like any other cruise terminal. There are porters on the curb to take luggage. To check-in, you'll have to go through security screening and get to the check-in counter up stairs. 

There used to be a few seats outside of security screening, but inside the air conditioned terminal (we're talking about high 80s temp and high 80's humidity,,, in an area chucked full of auto and bus exhaust outside). 

The traffic and congestion around the terminal is terrible. You're trying to get 6000 people off the ship at the same time,,,, and 6000 people dropped off and checked-in. At times, it has taken us 30 minutes to get from the entrance of the port to the terminal. Your round trip to the airport could take upwards of an hour. Logistically, I would drop the bags (if you have a lot) then the whole family go to the airport and Uber XL back to the terminal. Or just Uber XL with your family and bags. 

That's the best I can offer,,, we have done suites check-in the last few cruises, so I have not out in the general check in area. 

image.png.5de350e3e17f3a38e6013a4e75c4773f.png

image.png.2a5d273a1b65ff1789f5cbccbbd68966.png

image.png.487fda94118a769115259d60e46716eb.png

image.png.3932e272ef3b45ba5f30d90a062ffd20.png

There used to be a small area up the escalators, but before you enter security screening - but 6000+ people will be pushing through this area. 

image.png.294f1ea236a9cd11cd2d07d8008234a1.png

image.png.647469a8034a4d79989ac099ec0a8e6f.png

image.png.6579a9d61a18b1e530e94fc0c3280731.png

Thanks for the thorough description.  We are in a suite if that matters.  

The issue is the car seats.  Those will be rented with the car.  I think I’ll just have them check in if they will allow it.  I can’t imagine they will kick them outside as suite guests?   What do you think?   I’m so used to Canaveral and Ft Lauderdale which are very easy.  I figured Miami is a cluster.  To make matters worse, it will be a Thursday.   But trying to do this around noon time.  

20 minutes ago, topnole said:

The issue is the car seats.  Those will be rented with the car.  I think I’ll just have them check in if they will allow it.  I can’t imagine they will kick them outside as suite guests?   What do you think?   I’m so used to Canaveral and Ft Lauderdale which are very easy.  I figured Miami is a cluster.  To make matters worse, it will be a Thursday.   But trying to do this around noon time.  

So,,, as soon as you enter the terminal (before you go up the escalators to steerage check-in), you will see a suites desk on the right and they will send you up the elevators to a private suites security, check-in area. 

The family can proceed up to the suites lounge, go through security and wait in the lounge. The check-in people with ipads come to you in the lounge to complete your check in (no standing in line there). If there is an issue with not having both parents physically there, your wife can wave off the check-in people until you get back. 

Your goal will be to drop them off and be back in ample time to check in before boarding starts around 11 am. 

image.png.65530a3d15a9cd09e78a8708e989cdfe.png

image.png.23d14ff0ebafdc7e350e04c5b1b83696.png

image.png.80ce355ba4921c20ac83e2fb80ad1020.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

So,,, as soon as you enter the terminal (before you go up the escalators to steerage check-in), you will see a suites desk on the right and they will send you up the elevators to a private suites security, check-in area. 

The family can proceed up to the suites lounge, go through security and wait in the lounge. The check-in people with ipads come to you in the lounge to complete your check in (no standing in line there). If there is an issue with not having both parents physically there, your wife can wave off the check-in people until you get back. 

Your goal will be to drop them off and be back in ample time to check in before boarding starts around 11 am. 

image.png.65530a3d15a9cd09e78a8708e989cdfe.png

image.png.23d14ff0ebafdc7e350e04c5b1b83696.png

image.png.80ce355ba4921c20ac83e2fb80ad1020.png

Exactly the type of info I have as hoping to get. Thanks so much!!!   Very helpful.  

11 minutes ago, poocher said:

It will be in Miami when we sail in May.

Gotcha.  Didn’t realize you meant future tense.  I’d have to imagine it will be the one, but I’ll ask next week if I can remember and you don’t get a reply before then.  

• Thanks 1

Depending on your rental car company, you could switch to a downtown dropoff location.  Not great since they are small and busy - Avis is a couple of blocks in from the frontage road (which is usually gridlocked).  Take free trolley back to the terminal: https://www.miamigov.com/Transportation-Roadways/Trolley-Information/Get-Trolley-Information-Schedules-and-Maps

Trolley isn't designed for luggage, so don't try dropping off car and using it with family and luggage.

Or you could drop off at airport, take the Metrorail back to downtown and switch to the trolley.  Would take longer than Uber and likely cost about the same.

We usually stay overnight near the airport and take a cab or shuttle in to the cruise.  Not fond of driving in downtown Miami.

18 hours ago, LeeW said:

Depending on your rental car company, you could switch to a downtown dropoff location.  Not great since they are small and busy - Avis is a couple of blocks in from the frontage road (which is usually gridlocked).  Take free trolley back to the terminal: https://www.miamigov.com/Transportation-Roadways/Trolley-Information/Get-Trolley-Information-Schedules-and-Maps

Trolley isn't designed for luggage, so don't try dropping off car and using it with family and luggage.

Or you could drop off at airport, take the Metrorail back to downtown and switch to the trolley.  Would take longer than Uber and likely cost about the same.

We usually stay overnight near the airport and take a cab or shuttle in to the cruise.  Not fond of driving in downtown Miami.

Is there gridlock from airport to Port at some point or is that avoided due to roads used (ex expressway from airport to port area).  I’m all about making it the easiest.  I would only switch drop off location if it makes the process faster for me to drop off?   Which do you think would be faster?  I’m thinking shuttle or Uber? I’d use Uber depending on timing and if shuttle involves much waiting.   Currently I have Budget, but it

seems I can easily switch companies for the same price.  

12 hours ago, brillohead said:

There is no problem with checking in / boarding without both parents present.  

I've taken minors (including one that wasn't even mine) on cruises by myself on numerous occasions.  Nobody cares. 

That is good to hear for our potential situation, but at the same time somewhat disturbing.  😂

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 4:00 PM, topnole said:

My daugher had carseats on our last cruise and she had them each in a big canvas bag for car seats because we flew and she did not want them beat up.  She put a luggage tag on them and they arrived at their cabin with their luggage. 

11 minutes ago, KansasK said:

My daugher had carseats on our last cruise and she had them each in a big canvas bag for car seats because we flew and she did not want them beat up.  She put a luggage tag on them and they arrived at their cabin with their luggage. 

We aren’t bringing our own.  So I’ll be dropping the wife and kids at the port first, then return the car myself.  

BTW, flown with those same bags.  Second time our car seat was damaged.  Lol.  The bags don’t help much other than to prevent cosmetic damage.  They can take a pounding and thus can easily break depending on how much stuff they load on top of them in the belly of the plain.  We stopped flying with them after that.  At least only one in a car seat now.  Two in boosters which is much easier.  

We gate checked the car seat when we flew with granddaughter as a lap baby.  When we took the 2 year old, we purchased an FAA compliant car seat and used it on the plane.   It was great as he was used to sitting in one, jumped right in and slept the whole flight.

Just asking, do you trust rental car seats?

5 hours ago, poocher said:

We gate checked the car seat when we flew with granddaughter as a lap baby.  When we took the 2 year old, we purchased an FAA compliant car seat and used it on the plane.   It was great as he was used to sitting in one, jumped right in and slept the whole flight.

Just asking, do you trust rental car seats?

Yeah.  I install them myself so I trust them.  They are easy enough to inspect. Assume that is what you mean(safety)?

No choice since we are driving down for a TA.  Not hauling car seats all through Europe.  

• Like 2

My recommendation:  Take "portable boosters" (like the Mifold if you can find it in stock) and one carseat with a luggage trolley.  Or with the luggage trolley, you could just add two regular booster seats to the trolley with the carseat -- it can easily fit them all, just add a couple bungee straps to hold it all in place.

A visual inspection of a rented carseat isn't going to tell you whether it has ever been involved in a car accident, which takes it out of commission.  (What's the point of using a carseat if you don't know that it's structurally sound?) Literally ANY car crash that was severe enough to cause body damage to the vehicle is enough to make a carseat no longer safe to use.

And when it's time to fly back, the child in the carseat can fly back in their own carseat on the plane (newsflash, all carseats can be used on airplanes).  

For reference, I used to fly solo with my infant son.  I made a choo-choo train by connecting this carseat to a folding luggage cart and putting my backpack/carry-on in the carseat (bungee cords for the win), then connecting the luggage cart to my rolling suitcase, then dragging that behind me while pushing him in his stroller in front of me.  

If your kids are old enough to be in a booster seat, then one of them should be old enough to drag a luggage cart with carseat/booster seats on it.

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

My recommendation:  Take "portable boosters" (like the Mifold if you can find it in stock) and one carseat with a luggage trolley.  Or with the luggage trolley, you could just add two regular booster seats to the trolley with the carseat -- it can easily fit them all, just add a couple bungee straps to hold it all in place.

A visual inspection of a rented carseat isn't going to tell you whether it has ever been involved in a car accident, which takes it out of commission.  (What's the point of using a carseat if you don't know that it's structurally sound?) Literally ANY car crash that was severe enough to cause body damage to the vehicle is enough to make a carseat no longer safe to use.

And when it's time to fly back, the child in the carseat can fly back in their own carseat on the plane (newsflash, all carseats can be used on airplanes).  

I only need the car seat for the drive to Miami.  No where else and I’m not hauling one through Europe.  We fly back to our home city and will be picked up in our own car.  

On the flight and trains in Europe our little guy will want to be held by us (mom or me).  Bringing a car seat makes zero sense for us and quite frankly I can’t  carry everything and that on the various trains and planes we will be on.  We are trying to pack as light as possible so I can handle the luggage.  I’m pretty much going to be a pack mule for a family of 5 on the days we travel to a new city.  I’ll just have to assume the seat is safe after visual inspection and install.  

Honestly that is the least of my worries.  However, I very much appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.  I’m not diminishing them and will definitely consider this on trips where it is possible to bring one. Luckily those days are getting closer to be numbered.   

• Like 1