HAL Zaandam vs. Island Princess for Panama Canal Cruise

snowlight

Hi all,

Looking for a Panama Canal itinerary that traverses the historic locks, and it looks like both these ships would.

If prices and the rest of the itinerary were equal, which of these ships would you recommend for a 14/15 night cruise? Two non-lively adults (parent/adult-child), this is a bucket list trip for the parent.

I have read reviews of both ships but it's hard to get a sense... I've cruised with princess before but never HAL.

Thanks for any insight!

19 hours ago, snowlight said:

Hi all,

Looking for a Panama Canal itinerary that traverses the historic locks, and it looks like both these ships would.

If prices and the rest of the itinerary were equal, which of these ships would you recommend for a 14/15 night cruise? Two non-lively adults (parent/adult-child), this is a bucket list trip for the parent.

I have read reviews of both ships but it's hard to get a sense... I've cruised with princess before but never HAL.

Thanks for any insight!

We took the HAL Zuiderdam .It was a great cruise.

20 hours ago, snowlight said:

I haven't cruised those ships but I've cruised both lines.  IMO, entertainment is one of the biggest differences between them so since you're self-described non-lively, I recommend the Zaandam.  HAL is a really nice cruise line, and the size of Zaandam seems perfect for a destination cruise like Panama Canal.  

Princess is a nice cruise line, but I do not like their lack of a seating area in the standard cabins.  On Zaandam, you'll have a couch in your room.