Favorite Things to do on a TA ?

padgman1

As it is now into the check in window for the Silly TA in April that DW and I will be on, wondering what people like to do on Transatlantic cruises that they don't do on other port-intensive cruises? ( Besides sleep !)

For us, it's about switching up our regular routine. We both work & our everyday schedule is pretty regimented - so on a TA we try to do things differently. 

• Walk more - every morning, no matter how poor the weather unless the decks are closed
  • Stay up late - there are usually some good parties in the Sky Observation Lounge
  • Leisurely lunches in the MDR
  • Passenger choir & also go to art classes (if offered)
  • Beyond the Podium presentations
  • Daytime shows in the Theatre
  • Occasionally skip dinner and enjoy the Solarium pool in the evening when it's really quiet, then a sauna and an early night
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

For us, it's about switching up our regular routine. We both work & our everyday schedule is pretty regimented - so on a TA we try to do things differently. 

• Walk more - every morning, no matter how poor the weather unless the decks are closed
  • Stay up late - there are usually some good parties in the Sky Observation Lounge
  • Leisurely lunches in the MDR
  • Passenger choir & also go to art classes (if offered)
  • Beyond the Podium presentations
  • Daytime shows in the Theatre
  • Occasionally skip dinner and enjoy the Solarium pool in the evening when it's really quiet, then a sauna and an early night

I especially like the last one, have not tried that one yet, will have to on this one !

Most of the rest of the ideas we have done or will do again.

On a side topic, how does one apply to become a Beyond the Podium speaker ? I don't need remuneration ( but will take whatever pennies they will throw at me !), just want to pass on some interesting medical knowledge I have accumulated over 30 years in practice...

9 minutes ago, padgman1 said:

how does one apply to become a Beyond the Podium speaker ? I don't need remuneration ( but will take whatever pennies they will throw at me !), just want to pass on some interesting medical knowledge I have accumulated over 30 years in practice...

Easier to just sit at Sunset Bar and pass on your knowledge 😁

An acquaintance,  we knew Fred the astrology guy, start by give free lecture in conference room

I believe now we gives lectures on Princess cruises , 

I am not sure if you get Pennies, I believe you get comp a inside cabin but still have pay gratuities in taxes

This was before Covid 

• Like 1

I absolutely love TAs and my routine is pretty set in stone:

Wake up and have a light Oceanview breakfast.

Sit by the pool and read as many books as I can, and sometimes listen to my music.

Go play trivia at least once a day.

Sometimes play an afternoon poker tournament.

Sit on my balcony (if Edge Class hopefully a SV as I'm not a fan of the UVs).

Dinner, show, poker and/or craps.

Bed.

Rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, padgman1 said:

As it is now into the check in window for the Silly TA in April that DW and I will be on, wondering what people like to do on Transatlantic cruises that they don't do on other port-intensive cruises? ( Besides sleep !)

Our comment after our first Westtbound TA was.....'I've never had so much fun being bored in my entire life"!! Cruise Director and Staff will make sure everyday is filled with varios options that fit passengers preferrences. Plus you get to meet so many more people who have the same common interests.

Most importantly it was the perfect way to rejuvenate after a very port intensive 12 night European itinerary!!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, padgman1 said:

We did make time during our only TA late last year to attend more onboard events such as the ones mentioned earlier. 

We went ahead and purchased the Behind the Scenes tour for one of the many sea days which I thought was worth doing. 

Usually my wife and I keep to ourselves.  But during the TA we made time to go out and meet people on our roll call for drinks, lunch, etc.  

Finally, we spent a lot more time relaxing out on our balcony watching the ship's wake.

image.thumb.jpeg.4f9eea8510e1371f307ea106182448f4.jpeg

Constellation, North Atlantic Ocean, Nov 1 2022

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 3

I used to spend time in the iLounge.

However, since Revolution I wonder if they the space to do these lectures. We certainly haven’t seen them advertised on the 2 cruises we have done since COVID.

36 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

We did make time during our only TA late last year to attend more onboard events such as the ones mentioned earlier. 

We went ahead and purchased the Behind the Scenes tour for one of the many sea days which I thought was worth doing. 

Usually my wife and I keep to ourselves.  But during the TA we made time to go out and meet people on our roll call for drinks, lunch, etc.  

Finally, we spent a lot more time relaxing out on our balcony watching the ship's wake.

image.thumb.jpeg.4f9eea8510e1371f307ea106182448f4.jpeg

Constellation, North Atlantic Ocean, Nov 1 2022

Exactly what I would like to do for a few days on my balcony as well !

• Like 1

• Afternoon tea.
  • Taking our time over pre-dinner drinks & hors d'oeuvres, especially in the up-front lounge.
  • Treating the ship as if it was the Savoy Hotel and having the ship's staff treat us as if it's the Savoy Hotel

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 12:59 PM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Easier to just sit at Sunset Bar and pass on your knowledge 😁

An acquaintance,  we knew Fred the astrology guy, start by give free lecture in conference room

I believe now we gives lectures on Princess cruises , 

I am not sure if you get Pennies, I believe you get comp a inside cabin but still have pay gratuities in taxes

This was before Covid 

Fred was wonderful

gave great info had informative presentation and brought telescope for night time viewing

45 minutes ago, flifish64 said:

Fred was wonderful

gave great info had informative presentation and brought telescope for night time viewing

An astronomer, then.  If he was packing a telescope, he most definitely was an astronomer.  If he was packing a zodiac wheel, perhaps an astrologer.

• Haha 1

On 3/6/2023 at 10:26 AM, padgman1 said:

On the eastbound ones, they need to plan on several 23 hour days.  Don’t plan on extra sleep.

3 hours ago, Mark_K said:

On the eastbound ones, they need to plan on several 23 hour days.  Don’t plan on extra sleep.

Why?

Over the course of the sailing you will lose 5 or 6 hours from a potential 333 (ish) hours.

However approximately 8 days of the cruise will be sea days, I would imagine the potential for extra sleep is far greater than on a port intensive cruise.

But then I'm not trying to pee on people's pancakes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Juni2106 said:

Why?

Over the course of the sailing you will lose 5 or 6 hours from a potential 333 (ish) hours.

However approximately 8 days of the cruise will be sea days, I would imagine the potential for extra sleep is far greater than on a port intensive cruise.

But then I'm not trying to pee on people's pancakes.

Maybe your body’s internal clock is better at adjusting than mine.  For me, 23 hour days did not induce safe and restful sleep, sleep, sleep.