Docking in Venice?

Kamfish642

No cruise ships currently are allowed to dock IN Venice proper -- i.e., where ships used to dock.

Some smaller ships are docking in nearby industrial ports of Marghera and Fusina. When I look at a TA site that lists cruises, they show Seabourn docking in Fusina. However, I would check on the Seabourn board to confirm.

Just now, cruisemom42 said:

No cruise ships currently are allowed to dock IN Venice proper -- i.e., where ships used to dock.

Some smaller ships are docking in nearby industrial ports of Marghera and Fusina. When I look at a TA site that lists cruises, they show Seabourn docking in Fusina. However, I would check on the Seabourn board to confirm.

Actually when we were in Venice last August there was a Windstar cruise ship docked in Venice Island.

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Actually when we were in Venice last August there was a Windstar cruise ship docked in Venice Island.

I wasn’t aware that they could do that. Too bad they don’t have balconies on their ships sailing the Mediterranean- at least not that I could find when I looked a while back

Just now, Vineyard View said:

I wasn’t aware that they could do that. Too bad they don’t have balconies on their ships sailing the Mediterranean- at least not that I could find when I looked a while back

Our hotel room in Venice had a view of the main lagoon and it was a pretty site seeing the ship under sail going down the lagoon to the sea. I wish I had taken a picture of her.

I bet that it was!  We have booked a room this coming May with a terrace overlooking the lagoon. Very much looking forward to that. We struggled with GC view vs Lagoon, but a room opened up that we were lucky to snag and pretty excited. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 11:57 AM, cruisemom42 said:

SeaDream's small ships still dock at San Basilio close to the cruise terminal. The Aegean Odyssey was docked at the main cruise terminal when we were last there in early June. I believe the ban only applies to ships that are greater than 25,000 gross registered tons. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!  This is disappointing, but I think it has been coming to this for awhile.  Our last SB cruise that went to Venice we docked at San Basilio.  Our favorite, was sailing the Lagoon past St. Marks Square at sunset on the Ruby Princess on our 40th Anniversary while listening to Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman singing "Time To Say Goodbye".   

On 3/22/2023 at 7:29 PM, cruisinsince75 said:

Wow!  This is disappointing, but I think it has been coming to this for awhile.  Our last SB cruise that went to Venice we docked at San Basilio.  Our favorite, was sailing the Lagoon past St. Marks Square at sunset on the Ruby Princess on our 40th Anniversary while listening to Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman singing "Time To Say Goodbye".   

Ships like the Ruby Princess are part of the problem.  These behemoths were destroying the lagoons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/6/2023 at 1:06 PM, Vineyard View said:

We are scheduled to dock in Fusina this May

We are too.
Our travel agent told me that shuttle services will be provided by bus from Fusina to the Venice Marittima Terminal at the end of our cruise. We have made arrangements with our hotel in Venice to secure transportation for us from Marittima to the hotel. We are sailing on Silversea ship.