How windy does it have to be to miss the port?

ValerieJo

We've been to Costa Maya several times over the years.  We did miss the port one time (back in 2015) due to not being able to dock.  We are headed there next week and have heard that the port has been missed over the last couple of weeks.   Does anyone know if there is a set wind speed that the ship will not be able to dock?  Winds of 15mph, 20mph another factor?  Thanks.

2 hours ago, ValerieJo said:

We've been to Costa Maya several times over the years.  We did miss the port one time (back in 2015) due to not being able to dock.  We are headed there next week and have heard that the port has been missed over the last couple of weeks.   Does anyone know if there is a set wind speed that the ship will not be able to dock?  Winds of 15mph, 20mph another factor?  Thanks.

I don’t know if there is an actual wind speed - it is probably a combination of speed and direction.

We had word from Maya Chan that several ships had missed recently. Allure didn’t dock again this week and although it could have got in I understand the pier was too dangerous for pedestrians.

I don’t know if it is my imagination, or just the increased port load, but more ships seem to be missing these days.

We have only had to miss once when we were on Vision with no azipods and the Captain couldn’t dock but we have sat on the beach other days and seen ships try and then abort and sail on.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I don’t know if there is an actual wind speed - it is probably a combination of speed and direction.

We had word from Maya Chan that several ships had missed recently. Allure didn’t dock again this week and although it could have got in I understand the pier was too dangerous for pedestrians.

I don’t know if it is my imagination, or just the increased port load, but more ships seem to be missing these days.

We have only had to miss once when we were on Vision with no azipods and the Captain couldn’t dock but we have sat on the beach other days and seen ships try and then abort and sail on.

The one time we missed the port was also on Vision.  It does seem like more ships are missing this port lately.  Fingers crossed for next week. 🤞

• Like 1

Winds do tend to pick up in the late afternoon and evening.  But the prevalent direction is from the East or East Southeast. The pushes the current and tides directly into the outer pier making it hard for a ship to dock on either side of that pier.  And maybe creating difficulty for a ship to dock or even leave on the long pier.  Similar situation for Mahogany Bay in Roatan where bigger ships often miss that port.

• Thanks 1

When we were there in December we stayed on the ship that day and it was the second worst rocking we have experienced in over 20 cruises, the other was passing through the tail end of a hurricane on the way back to Florida from Nassau.

We were down sitting at pier level watching the Allure of the seas next to us bobbing up and down crazily, while us on the Pride were banging repeatedly into the pier and watching waves on the oceanside splashing over the windows all morning.

It was pretty windy that day and four ships docked that day.

We just missed this port on Sky Princess March 2nd due to high winds 40 knots and heavy seas.  I did not notice that the seas were very rough but man that wind was fierce.  The captain seemed to hang around and see if it would die down but nope.   It was very early in the morning, still dark but I was awake so went out on the balcony and pretty much knew we weren't going to be able to dock even before the announcement.

• 2 weeks later...