Jewelry and other accessory packing hacks

I don't have much expensive jewelry and mostly wear just earrings.  They got all tangled up with each other in a pouch or little box so I invented this hanger.  I wrap it in a t-shirt and put it in my carryon, then hang it on a doorknob or on a cruise, I'll use a magnetic hook on a wall somewhere.  It's kind of pretty.  You'll need one knee high, or a piece of cut off stocking and an embroidery hoop of whatever size fits your collection.  Mine is 8".  Just slip the closed hoop into the knee hi, pull it up snugly and fit the other hoop over it, tightening as much as needed.  I use the excess for hanging it on a doorknob, but you could tie it off with a ribbon instead and use that.  

C0D85714-502B-4304-B65E-9A86EA856FA5.heic

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Blondilu said:

Sounds interesting and I would love to see it.  But the photo uses some kind of extension I never heard of and don't have.  Is there any way you could re-post as a jpeg?

Me too!  I'm trying to imagine how this would work ... 'organizing the jewels' is always a challenge.  I figured out the pendant thing a couple of years ago ... put each one in a straw cut to length and stick them in a plastic glove, one to each finger.  Roll it up and away you go.  Look forward to seeing your gizmo.

• Like 1

I use jewelry bags with zippers. I keep pieces separate so that nothing gets scratched (especially pearls). I have black ones like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Bleiou-Jewelry-Brocade-Colors-Medium/dp/B07NQJL2D4/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Jewelry+pouch+zipper&qid=1678383098&sr=8-5

I have a zippered larger leather pouch to put all the smaller bags in—or you could put them in a small packing cube. 

Wolf and Leatherology have some nice travel cases too.

I don’t like the roll type jewelry holders as I have had earrings fall out. So a zipper is a must for me.

Edited by broker1217
  • Like 3

WELL DONE!!  I don't wear those kinds of earrings, so I couldn't imagine how the thing worked.  This is a super idea!  Thanks for posting this photo.

Edited by jsn55
typo

12 hours ago, awhfy said:

Cute for at home, how do you fold it for travel?

That’d be fine for home, but I’d be afraid earrings would come loose even between clothes (or snag clothes)

2 hours ago, awhfy said:

That’d be fine for home, but I’d be afraid earrings would come loose even between clothes (or snag clothes)

You just slip in into a plastic bag before you close your suitcase.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jsn55 said:

You just slip in into a plastic bag before you close your suitcase.

Depending on size of hoop that’d work. I’ll stick with my jewelry bag

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/25/2023 at 9:05 AM, geocruiser said:

What I do you a necklace (thin chain), I open the necklace and put one end of the chain all the way through a straw, then is clasp it to the  other end.  this way the chains  don't get tangled up .

How to Pack Jewelry for Travel: 5 Tips from a Pro!

this is pretty brilliant. I use a jewelry case, but I love this idea. thanks for sharing. 

1 hour ago, crewsgirl said:

this is pretty brilliant. I use a jewelry case, but I love this idea. thanks for sharing. 

For even more efficiency, I put the straws in fingers of a clear plastic glove, roll the thing up, wrap it in a paper towel.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, jsn55 said:

For even more efficiency, I put the straws in fingers of a clear plastic glove, roll the thing up, wrap it in a paper towel.

I did this once & threw out the paper towel as trash. Lost the necklace. I now use the straw & put it Al in a ziplock bag so I can see it

2 hours ago, awhfy said:

I did this once & threw out the paper towel as trash. Lost the necklace. I now use the straw & put it Al in a ziplock bag so I can see it

Aargh, that's just awful.  When I was 17, I lost brand new contact lenses on a trip. From that day forward, everything I travel with goes into the same place, every trip.  My jewelry goes into my makeup kit.  But I will be putting the whole bundle  in a ziplock from now on.

• Like 2

I think we've all thrown away something valuable in a similar way!  I know I had bought myself a small clutch purse, and -- for no good reason -- it was tucked away with my Christmas bags.  I pulled everything out and sat on the floor for a big wrapping session, then threw away all the empty bags, etc.  Days later -- after the trash had been picked up -- I realized my new purse was missing.  I never did find it, so I'm quite sure I threw it away with all that trash.  I was so angry with myself!  

As for packing jewelry, I have a small jewelry case -- a Vera Bradley item I bought from Ebay years ago.  The small bit of stuff I carry fits easily in that case.  More often I just wear one simple necklace and one simple pair of earrings -- boring, I know.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I travel with an extra necklace, a bracelet, a couple dangly earrings, and short hair sticks. All are in separate pill bags and go in a cheap glasses case. 
Longer hair sticks or hair forks  either go in a rolled bit of fabric or are treated like nice pens and are stashed in my crossbody bag (which is a packing cube for flights).

On 5/15/2023 at 7:46 PM, snowy owl said:

On my last cruise I used this. I hung it on the wall with a magnet hook. worked great

IMG_8925.jpeg

This is GREAT!  Talk about .haviing a choice' when you travel!