Freedom - can someone update me?

It's been a hot minute since I last cruised.  My daughter got a wild hair to take her boyfriend on his first cruise, so they're doing a 4 night out of Miami. We've never been fans of the shorter cruises, but she was worried, if he doesn't like it, a longer cruise would be torture. I'm still on the fence about joining them.

We are both D+, what's the evening reception deal on Freedom? Is it just drinks on cards?  Of course, I'm just assuming they haven't gotten rid of the free drinks?

She can't drink (because of medication) and we were told it's the same old situation, all adults in cabin have to buy drink package, but with a doctors note, she can get out of it?

Since they live together, does he inherit her status?

Considering this cruise is in less than a month, I'm stressed. I'm an overplanner, and there doesn't seem to be enough time.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give.

As D+, you get 5 vouchers for drinks. You can also share those with others. My daughters appreciated that recently. They still have the Happy Hours in lounge with snacks, but you use the vouchers.

As far as drink packages, yes, usually both have to buy, but if you call and say one doesn’t drink, she can get the refreshment package instead of deluxe package. But she will need to get that one. She doesn’t need a Drs. note. 
And if they live at same address, I think you can call and let RC know and he would get her status. That one I’m not 100% on, but someone will know on here. It’s just me, myself and I….LOL

Edited by crzndeb

@crzndeb beat me to the 'Submit Reply' button, but to add to the last part, every thread on here where it's come up, as long as they have the same mailing address, they should be able to link their accounts. I image that this might need to be done via the C&A phone #, and not the general one.

19 hours ago, Candleonwater said:

It's been a hot minute since I last cruised.  My daughter got a wild hair to take her boyfriend on his first cruise, so they're doing a 4 night out of Miami. We've never been fans of the shorter cruises, but she was worried, if he doesn't like it, a longer cruise would be torture. I'm still on the fence about joining them.

We are both D+, what's the evening reception deal on Freedom? Is it just drinks on cards?  Of course, I'm just assuming they haven't gotten rid of the free drinks?

She can't drink (because of medication) and we were told it's the same old situation, all adults in cabin have to buy drink package, but with a doctors note, she can get out of it?

Since they live together, does he inherit her status?

Considering this cruise is in less than a month, I'm stressed. I'm an overplanner, and there doesn't seem to be enough time.

If he buys the drink pkg she still has to call and buy the refreshment pkg which isnt that  cheap. They dont care about doctors notes. Just call. 

The free drinks arent on physical cards, just loaded to your sea pass. 

I'm also confused.  Based on what you said, are they living together and both adults?  So why are you planning their trip?  

The boyfriend never cruised, and he needs to complete one cruise before getting any status.  But your daughter can get 5 drinks, so she can just give it to the boyfriend.  

You are D+.  When was the last time your cruised, because getting drinks all day, with 5 vouchers have been around for awhile, the the concept of a happy hour is old and done away with.  "hot minute implies you just cruised".  

19 hours ago, Candleonwater said:

My $.02 and I realize this is very presumptuous to say, but your daughter is an adult, let her and her boyfriend go and figure things out for themselves. 

20 minutes ago, cruisebabe50 said:

Actually from what I can tell, it means the opposite.  It seems like it would mean a short time but no.  

Yeah, it definitely used to mean a long time (I think the origin was that a hot minute could feel like a very long time) and now seems to mean a short time (with hot meaning rushed or fast instead of literally hot?).  Language is weird.  LOL!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/7/2023 at 10:54 AM, carlosalonsor said:

Not to be rude but, doesn't a "hot minute" means an extremely short period of time?

Depends on where you look for YOUR meaning. Urban dictionary defines it as "the words meaning is a long time. if you aint seen someone in a while or if you aint been someplace in a while or done something in a while it will a hot minute. it can mean in years months weeks or days. just means awhile". Which is exactly as I intended.

On 3/7/2023 at 11:03 AM, Joseph2017China said:

I'm also confused.  Based on what you said, are they living together and both adults?  So why are you planning their trip?  

The boyfriend never cruised, and he needs to complete one cruise before getting any status.  But your daughter can get 5 drinks, so she can just give it to the boyfriend.  

You are D+.  When was the last time your cruised, because getting drinks all day, with 5 vouchers have been around for awhile, the the concept of a happy hour is old and done away with.  "hot minute implies you just cruised".  

Clearly we use different types of dictionaries.  

It's been 3 years since I last cruised and the drinks were not on my card at that time, by the end of the cruise I didn't even need to show my card.

So, now I am maybe more confused because Royal says he gets same perks as her, including drinks on card...

On 3/7/2023 at 10:58 AM, firefly333 said:

If he buys the drink pkg she still has to call and buy the refreshment pkg which isnt that  cheap. They dont care about doctors notes. Just call. 

The free drinks arent on physical cards, just loaded to your sea pass. 

Actually, did call, and they said she wouldn't need to buy a drink package of any sort because of her medical needs.

On 3/7/2023 at 11:11 AM, goldfish65 said:

My $.02 and I realize this is very presumptuous to say, but your daughter is an adult, let her and her boyfriend go and figure things out for themselves. 

As I was trying to decide if I wanted to join them, I was helping her figure things out, but thanks for your $.02