Seattle RT and Canadian customs?

diogenes65

Any Alaska cruise from Seattle must call at a Canadian port. Usually that is Victoria.

Because the ship wasn't built in the U.S., isn't registered in the U.S., doesn't have a crew of U.S. residents, and doesn't have a waiver for any of those conditions, the Passenger Vessel Services Act requires it to call at a foreign port. I was on a cruise recently that should have gone to Bermuda, but because it was going to be impossible to dock there, the ship had to continue to Nassau, Bahamas, even though the port call there would be from 9:00 p.m. to 3:00 a.m.

1 hour ago, diogenes65 said:

May be taking an Alaska cruise, RT from Seattle. Since we do not enter Canada, do we bypass Canadian customs or have a "meet and greet" with them later in the cruise?

THanks

You will definitely be entering Canadian waters.  The ship sends the manifest to Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).  They will know all about you before you arrive in Canada.  If they need to have a chat you will be notified before you are allowed to disembark (or not).  If you are cleared without a chat you will disembark without any further processing.  (Usually from Seattle they will stop in Victoria.)

25 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

You will definitely be entering Canadian waters.  The ship sends the manifest to Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).  They will know all about you before you arrive in Canada.  If they need to have a chat you will be notified before you are allowed to disembark (or not).  If you are cleared without a chat you will disembark without any further processing.  (Usually from Seattle they will stop in Victoria.)

Thank you.  Sounds like your know the procedure.

I just checked the itinerary and the RT Seattle cruise stops in Victoria at 9 PM on the last night of the return leg to Seattle.  The ship leaves 4 hours later and arrives in Seattle at 7 AM. I guess the Victoria stop is only to let CBSA staff aboard to take take care of CBSA formalities.  At that point, since passengers would not be disembarking, whether they are cleared to disembark or not, there shouldn't be much of an issue.

On the contrary, if the Victoria stop was scheduled as an 8-12 hour stop with passengers disembarking, not being "cleared to disembark" by CBSA would only result in the passenger remaining aboard the ship during the port call. Is that correct?

Am I missing something? 

The Victoria stop will let passengers off if it docks at 9pm or any other time.

Question: If a passenger has some legal reason they will not be permitted to enter Canada will that passenger even be allowed to board the ship in Seattle (or any other port)?  Doesn't the Canadian Boarder Services see the manifest before the ship leaves the home port?

~Nancy

2 hours ago, oakridger said:

Question: If a passenger has some legal reason they will not be permitted to enter Canada will that passenger even be allowed to board the ship in Seattle (or any other port)?  Doesn't the Canadian Boarder Services see the manifest before the ship leaves the home port?

~Nancy

Could be. Maybe there is a Canadian immigration expert or attorney who sees this and can sort it out.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, diogenes65 said:

I just checked the itinerary and the RT Seattle cruise stops in Victoria at 9 PM on the last night of the return leg to Seattle.  The ship leaves 4 hours later and arrives in Seattle at 7 AM. I guess the Victoria stop is only to let CBSA staff aboard to take take care of CBSA formalities.  At that point, since passengers would not be disembarking, whether they are cleared to disembark or not, there shouldn't be much of an issue.

On the contrary, if the Victoria stop was scheduled as an 8-12 hour stop with passengers disembarking, not being "cleared to disembark" by CBSA would only result in the passenger remaining aboard the ship during the port call. Is that correct?

Am I missing something? 

The MAIN reason for the Victoria stop is for the ship to meet legal requirements of the PVSA for a stop outside the US on a round trip US port cruise. Not to meet Canadian Immigration rules. 

9 hours ago, diogenes65 said:

Am I missing something? 

8 hours ago, oakridger said:

~Nancy

Can’t believe I’m answering this before coffee.  😂

The people checking you in are only looking for passports, visas, and citizenship.  They do not have access to criminal history, so as long as you have the compliant documents they will allow you to board.

That changes when CBSA reviews the manifest.  If, for instance, you have a DUI you will not be allowed to disembark.  If you have a warrant they will contact US authorities to see if you should be detained or are to remain on the ship.

It’s not as cut and dried as it seems, though.  If a reasonable amount of time has passed since the DUI conviction, without any further criminal activity, they may grant a temporary waiver.  If it has been 5 years since the conviction then you can apply for Criminal Rehabilitation.

** use of “you” is figurative; not literal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, I'm assuming same for embarking from Seward and disembarking in Vancouver? The ship wouldn't deny boarding but I am reading that the Canadian officials may advise you that you need to be on the next flight out? I don't think we will have a problem...hopefully not. My husband's DUI was treated as a Traffic Violation but I know Canada does not see it like that. 

On 3/7/2023 at 3:32 AM, CruiserBruce said:

The MAIN reason for the Victoria stop is for the ship to meet legal requirements of the PVSA for a stop outside the US on a round trip US port cruise. Not to meet Canadian Immigration rules. 

PVSA only applies to cruises that begin and end in different US ports. Round trip same US port is fine. Victoria wouldn't qualify anyway if it was an Alaska cruise that was either Seattle to Vancouver, or Vancouver to Seattle, because PVSA requires a distant foreign port.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss

2 hours ago, Cruising Is Bliss said:

PVSA only applies to cruises that begin and end in different US ports. Round trip same US port is fine. Victoria wouldn't qualify anyway if it was an Alaska cruise that was either Seattle to Vancouver, or Vancouver to Seattle, because PVSA requires a distant foreign port.

There is also a requirement for a roundtrip cruise out of a US port to stop at a foreign port (not distant). Thus Victoria is commonly, but not exclusively used for this purpose.