Has anyone walked through the full vendor trail in Labadee?

Jezo

42 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

The vendors in Labadee are tame compared to most third world countries. Yes they harass you but you have options -- either don't go or harass.back. 

Yeah harass them back seems like a smart idea.   Easy to say from a keyboard.   And not going isn’t an option.  You shouldn’t have to worry about vendors. 
one of the reasons I don’t like Cabo port.   So many rude vendors there too.  

1 minute ago, Cruise5life said:

Yeah harass them back seems like a smart idea.   Easy to say from a keyboard.   And not going isn’t an option.  You shouldn’t have to worry about vendors. 
one of the reasons I don’t like Cabo port.   So many rude vendors there too.  

I've been to Labadee many times in person and not from a keyboard. I've also been to many developing countries where the harassment is much, much worse. As far as I'm concerned, the vendors there are tolerable. YMMV

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

#2 is a lie. Flat out.

Not my experience.   I have 100% had a runner come back with what I was looking for even though buddy didn't have the item in his stall(was looking for a License plate).  He gets a cut, I am sure, which is why he's motivated. 

So.. up to you if you want to call that a "flat out lie" or not.  Sure, he didn't have that item at his booth, but I ended up with what I was looking for - I call that a win-win.   Mind you, I tend to look at things in life more in the grey area than strictly black or white like some people want to see it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So the moral of the story is.  If you want things to be exactly as it is from where you came, like going shopping in a nice store, where you walk around, pick what you want, and maybe have one employee ask you if you need help.  Than you can just ignore these areas, no one makes you go

But for all the others that go on vacation, to experience other cultures and ways of life, this is Haiti, and so many other places.  It's not a nice store with A/C.  It is a straw market, filled with people wanting you money.  If you angry, at the price they give you, like $50 for currency that is only $4.80 than you completely don't understand the game.  Yes, they actually do have "runners" because many of the stalls are related to cousins.  But play the game, and enjoy it.  It is not a scam, it is a game.  The reason, the prices are high because so many people pay the higher price, that they will continue to try.  Best think is learn the rules, know you price, and offer it.  Most times, they will take it.  

This goes the same for all the other places the ship visits, including Jamaica.  Don't complain about it, stay inside.  Don't know what the issue is, but you are no longer home.  This is the world.

Don't forget for a minute that this is only in the islands.  This practice is world wide.  I got some really great things with spirited negotiations in many countries.  The price range from start to finish is huge. 

But think of this, how many people walk into a McDonalds and buy a soda for $2.49 and that soda cost the place $0.22, most of which was the cup?  Have you ever tried to get it for $0.50?  No, you accept it, so why the complaints in a straw market.

• Like 1

Tidbit, if you are so inclined: 

Haitian official language is French.  It's what they learn in school. However, 100% of Haitians speak Haitian Creole.

Almost all of the vendors speak French, but their English is normally exceptional.  If you are so inclined, the vendors appreciate even an attempt to speak their language - even a simple french phrase.   I've taught my (now grown) kids some Haitian Creole, and the vendors in the market love it - especially some "Slang" terms. 

I'll give you one now that the vendors will get a kick out of for sure. If they ask how you are (a common greeting to start a conversation, say "Map Boolay" literally means I am burning, but it means "I'm great".  Of course, I spelled that phonetically. 

If you're no so inclined - ignore this post

• Like 3

On 3/7/2023 at 5:30 AM, Cayman1 said:

I understand they are trying to make money for their families, and I respect that. But when you start using profanity and touching my family, that is crossing the line.

Precisely. I had the displeasure of dealing with one vendor who did not like the price I countered and said something to me in his native language. Judging from his demeaner and body language, it was something rude or insulting. 

Where there a few weeks ago and there where a few security people some where royal Caribbean staff , just be polite when saying no if you are not interested. If you go to Dubai and head over to the gold or spice market the sellers there came across rude and pushy.!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Toddcan said:

Haitian official language is French.  It's what they learn in school. However, 100% of Haitians speak Haitian Creole.

Almost all of the vendors speak French, but their English is normally exceptional.  If you are so inclined, the vendors appreciate even an attempt to speak their language - even a simple french phrase.   I've taught my (now grown) kids some Haitian Creole, and the vendors in the market love it - especially some "Slang" terms. 

I'll give you one now that the vendors will get a kick out of for sure. If they ask how you are (a common greeting to start a conversation, say "Map Boolay" literally means I am burning, but it means "I'm great".  Of course, I spelled that phonetically. 

I'm there in 3 weeks. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2023 at 8:32 AM, Joseph2017China said:

So the moral of the story is.  If you want things to be exactly as it is from where you came, like going shopping in a nice store, where you walk around, pick what you want, and maybe have one employee ask you if you need help.  Than you can just ignore these areas, no one makes you go

But for all the others that go on vacation, to experience other cultures and ways of life, this is Haiti, and so many other places.  It's not a nice store with A/C.  It is a straw market, filled with people wanting you money.  If you angry, at the price they give you, like $50 for currency that is only $4.80 than you completely don't understand the game.  Yes, they actually do have "runners" because many of the stalls are related to cousins.  But play the game, and enjoy it.  It is not a scam, it is a game.  The reason, the prices are high because so many people pay the higher price, that they will continue to try.  Best think is learn the rules, know you price, and offer it.  Most times, they will take it.  

This goes the same for all the other places the ship visits, including Jamaica.  Don't complain about it, stay inside.  Don't know what the issue is, but you are no longer home.  This is the world.

Don't forget for a minute that this is only in the islands.  This practice is world wide.  I got some really great things with spirited negotiations in many countries.  The price range from start to finish is huge. 

But think of this, how many people walk into a McDonalds and buy a soda for $2.49 and that soda cost the place $0.22, most of which was the cup?  Have you ever tried to get it for $0.50?  No, you accept it, so why the complaints in a straw market.

I appreciate your explanation in this post, especially your analogy re McDonalds drink prices - very true. 

I think a lot of people would like to be able to play the game of negotiating, but many are not confident in doing so, and most tourists are no match for the vendors who do this for a living in their culture.

That's why it's been said repeatedly in this thread, it would be far better if the opening price from the vendors was not unreasonably high but something closer to what a tourist may find palatable and small ensuing negotiation.  Not everyone is comfortable taking a $250 starting point and trying to negotiate that down to $18.  I once tried negotiating a few bucks off a $20 item and was told no as if I was starving his family by suggesting he reduce his price. The outcome is no sale then, because it's not worth $20 to me and lots of other vendor stalls sell the same item, possibly for the price I'm willing to pay.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, queen_kathy1 said:

That's why it's been said repeatedly in this thread, it would be far better if the opening price from the vendors was not unreasonably high but something closer to what a tourist may find palatable and small ensuing negotiation.  Not everyone is comfortable taking a $250 starting point and trying to negotiate that down to $18.  I once tried negotiating a few bucks off a $20 item and was told no as if I was starving his family by suggesting he reduce his price. The outcome is no sale then, because it's not worth $20 to me and lots of other vendor stalls sell the same item, possibly for the price I'm willing to pay.

I look at it this way:  The majority of vendors are reasonable and can easily be negotiated with.  Then you'll have your 5-10% who are just unreasonable (won't budge a nickel, or start off unreasonably high).  Even though I speak the language, I will simply walk away from the unreasonable ones with very little engagement.  I'll say a little Haitian phrase to let them know they are being unreasonable, and more often than not, even the unreasonable ones might say something like "OK then.. what would you pay". I have already written them off, and I move on.  I have had a few pursue me even more and I explain, in their language, that they might want to think about starting lower.   

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 8:30 AM, Cayman1 said:

While I agree with your comment, the last time we were there they were grabbing our arms and pulling us to their booth. I had to set a couple of them straight. It was like a bunch of rats on a cheeto. 

I understand they are trying to make money for their families, and I respect that. But when you start using profanity and touching my family, that is crossing the line.

Yep, THIS.  

On 3/7/2023 at 7:30 PM, sunluva said:

The last time I walked through (April) they had security guys walking around.  As a vendor approached me a security guard asked 'is everything OK ma'am'.  I said I was fine. I was familiar with the sometimes aggressive vendors. The guard walked along with me for a bit  and he was telling me that there have been so many complaints of aggressive vendors that they are trying to make it less stressful for the cruise passengers. I'm not sure if this is a regular thing now but this was back in April 2022. 

I was there on a charter cruise a few years pre-COVID and saw ships' security officers keeping an eye on the Gauntlet.  We had already been warned about the over-aggressive vendors at Labadee and the presence of those officers pretty much confirmed it. 

I managed to avoid the Gauntlet, but I DID tip the native drummers who were performing near Columbus Cove since I play African and Middle-Eastern percussion myself and they were quite good.  

• 9 months later...
On 3/8/2023 at 8:15 AM, Toddcan said:

@Toddcan I got a chance to use this phrase last time I was there! I'll be back in a few weeks. Do you have any other "simple" phrases that I might try? 

4 hours ago, NoShoes2 said:

@Toddcan I got a chance to use this phrase last time I was there! I'll be back in a few weeks. Do you have any other "simple" phrases that I might try? 

haha.. that's awesome! 

Others-I'll spell them phonetically (roughly):

Mare-si (thank you) 

Sack-Passay - "What's happening" - very informal - they love this one

Map Buy Ou Sank Doo-laar - I'll give you $5 

• Like 1

When we sailed the Freedom or the Mariner we actually don’t mind walking the gauntlet. 
I keep my hands on the beach bag and just look to see if I really want to by anything. Usually not. 
The pushy sales people are actually the dress rehearsal for us when we face the “Ladies” selling their wares near the exit/lockers at Dunns river falls ( Jamaica) .  on the way to the restrooms. 
They are some mighty aggressive verbally abusive locals. Ladies their not. 
Their mean. 
No security seen here. So I guess they can do what they want. 

Just my view. 

2 hours ago, Toddcan said:

haha.. that's awesome! 

Others-I'll spell them phonetically (roughly):

Mare-si (thank you) 

Sack-Passay - "What's happening" - very informal - they love this one

Map Buy Ou Sank Doo-laar - I'll give you $5 

Thanks!

Walked through the 1st time and ended up with a hand carved jewellery box, and 2" longer arms where we were dragged from stall to stall.

Waited for a seat on the tram the next time we visited, and will do the same if we go again.

That said it was a bit of fun at first, but the constant haranguing got tedious after 20 mins.