Has anyone walked through the full vendor trail in Labadee?

Jezo

The whole path, from one side to the other where the tram to the beach drives you through.  Has anyone walked through the whole thing?  I usually can only make it to the shops on the edge and along the outer walkways, always been overwhelmed with the vendors.  Is there anything different if you go all the way through or is it the same assortment of stuff in all of the shops?

What are you "overwhelmed" by.  People, in an impoverished nation, trying to sell some items to put food on the table?  Remember the rhyme, sticks and stones my break my bones but words will never hurt me?  Are they hitting you with sticks or throwing a lasso around you, or are they just telling you, come look, I have good deals, come look?  Are those words dangerous?  

There is absolutely nothing to be afraid of, to look around.  You know how to say no, and that's it.  If you see something, they will tell you a price, you cut it in half, and offer your price, and maybe you will settle on a price. Simple and fun.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

What are you "overwhelmed" by.  People, in an impoverished nation, trying to sell some items to put food on the table?  Remember the rhyme, sticks and stones my break my bones but words will never hurt me?  Are they hitting you with sticks or throwing a lasso around you, or are they just telling you, come look, I have good deals, come look?  Are those words dangerous?  

There is absolutely nothing to be afraid of, to look around.  You know how to say no, and that's it.  If you see something, they will tell you a price, you cut it in half, and offer your price, and maybe you will settle on a price. Simple and fun.

Possibly they are overwhelmed by feelings of compassion for these people. I understand. I do feel for these people. Overwhelmed can have many meanings.

• Like 6

Depends on what end you start at. Most of the art work (btw, almost exclusively painted by Haitians) is at the one end near the Artisan's Market entrance. I've found most of the wares to be similar along the way.  But, there are some kiosks that tend to favour wooden items, and others that favour clothing.   My house is full of haitian art. 

Keep in mind that the kiosks/huts are all along the edges of a wide path.  You won't need to walk through a maze of vendors trying to block your way.  If you want to walk on the wooden boardwalks directly attached to the kiosks, then you'll be in much closer proximity to the vendors, and higher pressure.  If you want to just walk through and observe- stick to the sand/stone path in the middle.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jezo said:

Is there anything different if you go all the way through or is it the same assortment of stuff in all of the shops?

All the vendors have the same type of stuff (Haitian) but not the exact same stuff. It is not mass made in a factory in China. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Possibly they are overwhelmed by feelings of compassion for these people. I understand. I do feel for these people. Overwhelmed can have many meanings.

But on Cruise Critic, it means that they don't like people chasing them to try to get you to part with your money. This goes the same for any straw market.  Plus what is amazing, this happens all over the world, when you enter certain types of markets.  It even happens in the USA.

27 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

While I agree with your comment, the last time we were there they were grabbing our arms and pulling us to their booth. I had to set a couple of them straight. It was like a bunch of rats on a cheeto. 

I understand they are trying to make money for their families, and I respect that. But when you start using profanity and touching my family, that is crossing the line.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cayman1 said:

While I agree with your comment, the last time we were there they were grabbing our arms and pulling us to their booth. I had to set a couple of them straight. It was like a bunch of rats on a cheeto. 

I understand they are trying to make money for their families, and I respect that. But when you start using profanity and touching my family, that is crossing the line.

I've chatted with these vendors (I speak Haitian Creole), and they have told me that they when they first set up the vendor trail area, they had to be told not to approach the tourists that were on the main path in the middle,  and certainly not to touch them.  I have to think that was the result of some issues when they first set up this area years ago.  

Were you and your family touched on a recent cruise? 

29 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

The vendors have an aggressive approach.  When I first went to Labadee in 1996 we had to walk through the vendor area and some passengers would get overwhelmed by the aggressive pitch of the vendors. Royal Caribbean wisely redesigned Labadee so that none have to walk through the vendor area. It is optional. Some passengers like to buy and haggle and get good deals other passenger prefer not to. 

I don't have the courage to walk through the whole thing. I'm triggered by the yelling and people trying to entice/force me into their shops. I find it intimidating . I go out of my way to walk the long way around to the beach. 

10 minutes ago, Toddcan said:

I've chatted with these vendors (I speak Haitian Creole), and they have told me that they when they first set up the vendor trail area, they had to be told not to approach the tourists that were on the main path in the middle,  and certainly not to touch them.  I have to think that was the result of some issues when they first set up this area years ago.  

Were you and your family touched on a recent cruise? 

This was December 2019 when this happened.

(May 2019 TA cruise on INDY)-- strolled through the white-sheeted vendor area. One of the vendors invited us to his setup to see his specialties. Once there, he showed-off some bracelets. We weren't interested. As we were leaving, the vendor asked my teenage son if he could give him a bracelet. I said no, but my son said yes and the vendor quickly tied a string bracelet around his wrist. I then adamantly told the vendor to remove it. He said it was free, but I did not want any potential hassles walking out of the area with that string around my son's wrist. It was removed and we headed back to beach.

Have since been on 8 cruises after Covid. The vendors in Cozumel are pretty aggressive.

Vendors in St Maarten, Aruba, Curacao, Costa Maya and Puerto Vallarta much less so.

Of course people have walked through.    It has been a few years for us as I'm not in the market for souvenirs.   We walked through and simply said "no thank you"   Yes, the vendors tried to get our attention, but hey - they need the $$.

M

2 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Are they hitting you with sticks or throwing a lasso around you, or are they just telling you, come look, I have good deals, come look?  Are those words dangerous?  

She didn't ask if it was dangerous or if people get assaulted.

But I agree it can be overwhelming.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Scotico said:

Not many people know what a mud cookie is. Look it up.  Very bad for you. 

The Haitians think it is good for you. All a matter of perspective. A lot of cultures eat stuff I would never touch. I would never buy mud cookies, ugh because I would not eat them but if I did buy tham it would ake sense to eat them.

First few visits for me 35yrs ago there was no locals selling anything. Was rustic, only couple Buildings. In 90's the small Vendor area was similar to the old Nassau Straw Market, both little too aggressive then. Irony is I was also there on another Cruise day it burnt down

• Like 1

I personally only go into the building which at one time, and maybe still is called Carlos' Market.

The vendors in there are way less aggressive or not aggressive at all.  I do my shopping there.

When we were there I noticed a lot of things made by Haitian women I bought.  Potholders,

aprons, etc.  They had their tags and pictures on them and were called Women of Milot Entrepreneurial Network.  The tags say made in Haiti, so guess hope that is true anyway.  In past years have elected not to run the gauntlet of the vendors up and down the hill.  Even in the open doorways of Carlos' they try

to talk to you and get you to come to their kiosks.  It's too bad they can't be made to understand that f they would just let people browse without overwhelming them, they would perhaps be more successful.

That's my opinion and how I feel.  Find most anything I want in the building.  Have been to Labadee many times .

Is the market open the whole time ships are in port? If I find a larger item I don't want to have to carry it around all day. We tend to stay on island as long as we can, so it would be good if we could do our shopping at the end of our time there. 

5 hours ago, Jezo said:

The whole path, from one side to the other where the tram to the beach drives you through.  Has anyone walked through the whole thing?  I usually can only make it to the shops on the edge and along the outer walkways, always been overwhelmed with the vendors.  Is there anything different if you go all the way through or is it the same assortment of stuff in all of the shops?

I have and I always wear a tee shirt that Ai bought one time there. I point to the shirt indicating that I have been there before and nobody tries to sell me anything