Asking for recent Reflection Acqua Class Blu opinions/advice

Mustsea

Is dining in Blu a step up from MDR on the Reflection? I read in a review that the food is a disappointment and has changed in negative ways since covid. The reviewer also stated that other cabin classes now can dine in Blu so it can sometimes difficult to get a a table right away. Is this true - what other classes are now dining in Blu? (Trying to decide between Reflection and Beyond - Reflection Blu much more affordable!) Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Mustsea said:

Is dining in Blu a step up from MDR on the Reflection? I read in a review that the food is a disappointment and has changed in negative ways since covid. The reviewer also stated that other cabin classes now can dine in Blu so it can sometimes difficult to get a a table right away. Is this true - what other classes are now dining in Blu? (Trying to decide between Reflection and Beyond - Reflection Blu much more affordable!) Thanks!

I haven’t been in  Blu on reflection but I have been, very recently, been in Blu on other S class ships. In my opinion Blu is a major step up from MDR in all areas, ambiance, service, food, everything. I find the food consistently excellent in Blu. I don’t know about the E class ships, however, if a true balcony room is important to you, you will not get that on the E class in AC. 

The only other level that can eat in Blu are suites and only if there is room. Since suites have Luminae, I don’t think too many eat in Blu. We were on a full ship a few weeks ago and never waited for a table at 7:30. 

I agree with cbfb. Blu is a step up from MDR and is a major reason why passengers opt for Aqua Class. You may have a 5-15 minute wait time during peak periods.

Beyond is Edge Class with all the bells and whistles. Reflection is Solstice class - and is older and not revolutionized. Still very nice, but not as nice as the Beyond. If given the choice between a standard veranda on Beyond and Aqua Class on Reflection, I'd go with the Beyond.

• Thanks 1

We really enjoy Blu on the S class ship - most recent it was 14 nights on Solstice and we thought the food was very nice and sometimes excellent.  Portions are small for some appetites but we were pleased with that aspect, in fact I often order 3 starters and call it dinner.  Not sure why someone told you other classes could eat their - only suite passenger if there is room. 

• Thanks 1

We definitely feel Blu is a step up above the MDR.  It's the main reason we always choose AQ cabins when we cannot afford suites.  And only suite passengers can eat besides AQ passengers, and supposedly only on a space available basis (although in my experience they are very rarely turned away).  My only caveat is that Reflection has the most number of AQ cabins of any of the S class ships but the Blu dining room is no larger.  So they added a number of additional tables to accommodate the additional passengers.  So IMHO it feels more crowded than other Blu restaurants and we have had times where we had to wait up to 1/2 hour for a table at our preferred dining time of 8:00ish.  But I would not hesitate to book AQ on that ship if the price and itinerary were right.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mustsea said:

Was on the Reflection in December. Loved Blu, both the food and the small dining room ambiance. Service was outstanding. The only people that can eat in blu besides Aquaclass are suites, and that is only if space is available.  We never waited a single night for a table, but even if you did for a short time. It would be hard for me to go back to the big dining room after eating in Blu. (We also could order off of the main dining room menu if we wanted)

• Thanks 1

Thank you all so very much! Blu sounds like a definite winner. And thanks, Nado44, you are probably right about choosing Beyond balcony over Aqua Class on Reflection. However, we just cruised about 5 or 6 weeks ago on Equinox and I'm pinching pennies lol. Everything that is important is included. Plus, I I like the itinerary on Reflection better. We really enjoyed ourselves on the Equinox so this AC experience on Reflection should be good.

Another advantage Blu has over the MDR are the steaks.  Celebrity is no longer serving filet or ribeye steak in the MDR.  However, there was filet and ribeye steak on the Blu menu aboard our Reflection cruise last September.

• Like 1

Not a fan of blu.  We used to sail in AQ but have for a few years now only travel in suites.  We found the tables for two on top of each other, like a row of community dining.  People were chiming into our conversation.  Also the food was the same old same old year after year.  While the positives about blew is that it isn't a big catering hall dining room, food meh,. 

If I couldn't do a suite, I would book a decent balcony cabin, which is basically the same as AQ less a few, IMO unnecessary touches.  I would book speciality restaurants with the money saved.  Also we used the spa aqua facilities once- for about 1/2 an hour.  You can purchase a day pass if you want to try it also.  If you need the captains club points, consider a concierge class cabin, which is typically a little more then a regular balcony cabin.   Enjoy your cruise.

We just got off the Reflection; we requested and received a table-for-two in the MDR by a window.  Our dinning experience in a separate section off the MDR was outstanding both; in the service and meal selection. Our same waiter and assistant waiter were professional and personal for all of our meals; made dining a pleasure.  We cruise in a suite and could dine in Luminaire but, we always eat in the MDR and have NEVER been disappointed. 

4 hours ago, kebrown said:

Another advantage Blu has over the MDR are the steaks.  Celebrity is no longer serving filet or ribeye steak in the MDR.  However, there was filet and ribeye steak on the Blu menu aboard our Reflection cruise last September.

Thank you, I hope those are still on the menu!!

4 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

If I couldn't do a suite, I would book a decent balcony cabin, which is basically the same as AQ less a few, IMO unnecessary touches.  I would book speciality restaurants with the money saved.  Also we used the spa aqua facilities once- for about 1/2 an hour.  You can purchase a day pass if you want to try it also.  If you need the captains club points, consider a concierge class cabin, which is typically a little more then a regular balcony cabin.   Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you :)...for our booking, I did the math and we are ahead with the following being included: gratuities, drink package, spa pass for the week, blu or anytime dining in MDR, and WiFi. I do hope the steam and sauna rooms are nice because we were interested in purchasing the pass for the entire cruise when we were on the Equinox but ended up not purchasing because those rooms needed a major refurbishment a long time ago! They both had an odor (someone in our party mentioned smelly socks) and the steam room didn't have the ceramic tiles on the ceiling, just plaster, and it was obvious there was water intrusion. 

3 hours ago, Pickels said:

We just got off the Reflection; we requested and received a table-for-two in the MDR by a window.  Our dinning experience in a separate section off the MDR was outstanding both; in the service and meal selection. Our same waiter and assistant waiter were professional and personal for all of our meals; made dining a pleasure.  We cruise in a suite and could dine in Luminaire but, we always eat in the MDR and have NEVER been disappointed. 

Hey, Pickels! Yes, we had the small room all the way in the back on the left of deck 3 MDR on the Equinox and loved the location! More intimate and so much less noisy! That is interesting that you chose MDR over Luminae. I checked out their posted menu almost nightly on the equinox and there was always something special like filet mignon, etc. that was more appealing to me - but of course, to each his own. 🙂