I thought they had a texting app?

mitsugirly

2 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Well hello there!!!

So if that's the case, why would you need to purchase the texting app? All we want to do is stay in touch with our daughter when needed and we all have iphones. Hmmm 🤔

You don't!  iMessage worked great for me when I did a Panama Canal LA - MIA in December.  Used the APP last July with friends BOS - Bermuda & it worked poorly.  As long as you all have iPhones, save your money.

• Like 1

We went on the Breakaway with 16 other people this past July, 8 of us bought the texting app, I should have just set $10 on fire and threw it in the ocean.  The app was HORRIBLE to use for texting.  About two days into the cruise we figured out that we could iMessage and that is what we did moving forward (we all have iPhones).  We are back on the Breakaway April 9th and plan on just using iMessage to communicate between ourselves and the friends that are going.  On a side note my Mom had issues using iMessage but I don't think she had her settings correct and wouldn't let us "kids" take a look to see. 

On 3/14/2023 at 5:55 AM, vacation44 said:

We felt that way the last time we went on a cruise with extended family.  However, next week there will be 14 of us occupying 7 cabins (2 in Haven) so I was hoping for better results with the app this year time.

On 3/14/2023 at 5:55 AM, vacation44 said:

Vacation44- off topic but curious for future cruises. If some of your party is staying in haven I’m assuming the rest of the party can’t eat and drink in Haven or use the haven pool or sun deck? 

22 hours ago, phoenix1181 said:

You don't!  iMessage worked great for me when I did a Panama Canal LA - MIA in December.  Used the APP last July with friends BOS - Bermuda & it worked poorly.  As long as you all have iPhones, save your money.

Good to know. We will try it out and I guess if it doesn't work, we will purchase it. Thanks for the info. 

21 hours ago, Redsky5292 said:

We went on the Breakaway with 16 other people this past July, 8 of us bought the texting app, I should have just set $10 on fire and threw it in the ocean.  The app was HORRIBLE to use for texting.  About two days into the cruise we figured out that we could iMessage and that is what we did moving forward (we all have iPhones).  We are back on the Breakaway April 9th and plan on just using iMessage to communicate between ourselves and the friends that are going.  On a side note my Mom had issues using iMessage but I don't think she had her settings correct and wouldn't let us "kids" take a look to see. 

That sucks. We have used it in the past (been awhile and forgot how it works) and from what I can remember, it worked ok...I think. 

On 3/15/2023 at 6:44 PM, rather be in Hawaii said:

Vacation44- off topic but curious for future cruises. If some of your party is staying in haven I’m assuming the rest of the party can’t eat and drink in Haven or use the haven pool or sun deck? 

Correct. Friends can visit your particular cabin, but they can not hang out in the Haven exclusive areas if they are not themselves guests of the Haven. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 5:02 AM, mitsugirly said:

Well hello there!!!

So if that's the case, why would you need to purchase the texting app? All we want to do is stay in touch with our daughter when needed and we all have iphones. Hmmm 🤔

I am sorry I missed your question in response to my statement. Yes, they do have a messaging app, fairly cheap but it has been hit or miss on a few ships. We have iPhones and turn on airplane mode and use iMessage for free and haven't had any issues connecting. Same as you - just needed for kid updates!

On 3/31/2023 at 2:37 AM, vacation44 said:

Just got off the Epic last Sunday and for us, the NCL worked surprisingly great.  Notifications of texts were quick and phone calls were easily received.

Funny you mention that. Because in fact, the epic is the one ship I recall having no issues with the app. I used it from my first cruise ever many years ago on the epic and it always worked well there for me. 

On 3/9/2023 at 9:16 AM, jdc987 said:

$9.99 it's available on your app and TV once on board.  Just remember that sometimes it doesn't notify you.  I believe you also can call.

"sometimes it doesn't notify you"

That was our experience with the app last time we cruised.

On 3/9/2023 at 9:16 AM, jdc987 said:

$9.99 it's available on your app and TV once on board.  Just remember that sometimes it doesn't notify you.  I believe you also can call.

Not sure about all ships but on the Bliss last month we could text for free between iPhones. 
I see that this was mentioned in a previous post so we didn’t have to purchase. We had a few instances when the messages were delayed getting through but for the most part it worked fine. 

Edited by kelib

5 hours ago, BCOS said:

For those of you with iPhones who use iMessaging onboard, do you receive messages from people not on the ship (e.g. back home)? Or just from those you're sailing with?

THIS! Anyone have the answer to this?

8 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

THIS! Anyone have the answer to this?

You need to be connected to wifi to get iMessages from people not on the ship.  Being tied up and alonside a cell tower doesn't count!!

9 hours ago, BCOS said:

For those of you with iPhones who use iMessaging onboard, do you receive messages from people not on the ship (e.g. back home)? Or just from those you're sailing with?

iPhone messages sent & received to & from Boston while I was cruising with no problem.

• Like 1

We have androids, so Imessage isn't an option. We were happy with the texting app and our teen called us a few times as well using it. It's not perfect, but we felt it was worth the money. 

If I recall correctly, both iMessages and FB Messenger messages from on or off ship came through just fine as long as my device was connected to the ship's Wifi (not signed in to the internet package, just on the wifi and in airplane mode).

Some messages (including those from others onboard) were delayed a bit, so it is not foolproof, but it is way better than having to sign in regularly to make sure that everything is ok back home.