Transfer to Anchorage Denied!

kh76sp

My husband and I are on the Silver Whisper Tokyo to Seward cruise in May 2023. We are joining my sister and his brother on the ship (yes, sisters married brothers🙂 ) after they have spent a couple of weeks cruising Japan on the Whisper. 

I was surprised when my TA told me that SilverSea is not offering a day room on May 18 NOR are they scheduling a transfer for us from Seward to Anchorage because the flight SILVERSEA booked for us does not leave until 5/19 - at 12:55am!!  We paid for the door to door service so I am pretty distressed at this treatment. 

We have to find a way from Seward to Anchorage on our own.... can anyone offer suggestions?

It's our first SilverSea cruise (so far we have cruised 31x on various lines) and I have not yet been favorably impressed by the 'luxurious service'... 😞 

Cathy (& John)

30 minutes ago, kh76sp said:

My husband and I are on the Silver Whisper Tokyo to Seward cruise in May 2023. We are joining my sister and his brother on the ship (yes, sisters married brothers🙂 ) after they have spent a couple of weeks cruising Japan on the Whisper. 

I was surprised when my TA told me that SilverSea is not offering a day room on May 18 NOR are they scheduling a transfer for us from Seward to Anchorage because the flight SILVERSEA booked for us does not leave until 5/19 - at 12:55am!!  We paid for the door to door service so I am pretty distressed at this treatment. 

We have to find a way from Seward to Anchorage on our own.... can anyone offer suggestions?

It's our first SilverSea cruise (so far we have cruised 31x on various lines) and I have not yet been favorably impressed by the 'luxurious service'... 😞 

Cathy (& John)

My agent at Silverseas (Lee) said my Port to Port Voyage includes transportation to Anchorage.  I canceled two seats on a bus trip to Anchorage.  My flight leaves at 10:30pm.  I’m looking forward to a day in Seward and Anchorage. 

24 minutes ago, kh76sp said:

Cathy (& John)

Just to be clear, you are disembarking in Seward but flying out of Anchorage at 12:55am that night, some 15 hours later?  Did your TA say why there is no transfer?  From your title, it sounds like they have just refused to transfer you.  It does seem odd that S/S are not getting you from the ship to the airport, especially given the distance involved. Or is there a group transfer but your TA has told S/S you want to leave at a different time?

Hmm-looking at the cruise on Silversea.com, I see that door to door includes your limo between your home and airport. It does NOT include international flights or the transfers between airport and ship on either end. It looks like none of the Alaska cruises includes flights or transfers (says air credit included in price).

I can’t find particulars on SS Air on the website.

I don’t know how SS air works when it is not included in the door to door and you add it on. I would have thought it would include transfers.

It does say in the FAQ that you can purchase Post-cruise transfers on board. 

Your TA should be figuring this out for you.

Edited by broker1217

Yes, airport transfers (to and from the ship) are included in all door-to-door bookings.  Hotels are not, so you shouldn’t be surprised you weren’t offered a day room.  I think your TA has misinformed you.  Or hasn’t dealt with Silversea before and is not aware of inclusions?  Get back to your TA and have them sort it out.

Just now, Port Power said:

Yes, airport transfers (to and from the ship) are included in all door-to-door bookings.  Hotels are not, so you shouldn’t be surprised you weren’t offered a day room.  I think your TA has misinformed you.  Or hasn’t dealt with Silversea before and is not aware of inclusions?  Get back to your TA and have them sort it out.

Take a look at their Alaska cruises- ship to airport transfers are not included. 
The page on door to door has a disclaimer saying services may vary and to look at the individual cruise to determine inclusions.

2 hours ago, Port Power said:

Just to be clear, you are disembarking in Seward but flying out of Anchorage at 12:55am that night, some 15 hours later?  Did your TA say why there is no transfer?  From your title, it sounds like they have just refused to transfer you.  It does seem odd that S/S are not getting you from the ship to the airport, especially given the distance involved. Or is there a group transfer but your TA has told S/S you want to leave at a different time?

We booked the Door to Door cruise. Here is a quote from my TA's email on the subject:

"I inquired again about a day room on 5/18. Unfortunately, they're not offering it. They're now telling me since your flight departs on 5/19, transfers are forfeited. This makes no sense to me as a red eye is very common to depart from Anchorage. For a luxury cruise line, this isn't a very "luxurious" answer. I then asked about purchasing transfers and they don't offer it"

My husband is working on an email to SilverSea - he keeps his cool much better than I do...

2 hours ago, broker1217 said:

Hmm-looking at the cruise on Silversea.com, I see that door to door includes your limo between your home and airport. It does NOT include international flights or the transfers between airport and ship on either end. It looks like none of the Alaska cruises includes flights or transfers (says air credit included in price).

I can’t find particulars on SS Air on the website.

I don’t know how SS air works when it is not included in the door to door and you add it on. I would have thought it would include transfers.

It does say in the FAQ that you can purchase Post-cruise transfers on board. 

Your TA should be figuring this out for you.

When we booked this cruise in September, it DID include flights, hotel and transfers. 

Has your TA call contacted SS Air to inquire about a routing that departs before midnight?

With all due respect, your TA should be working this issue and problem solving.

I’m sorry you are having this issue and that you and your husband have to try to resolve. 

If it were me, I would research alternate routings/airlines to see if there is an earlier departure.

Frustrating, but dealing with cruise line air requires micro management. 

That makes zero sense at all.

I'm on a Seward arrival on the 11 May which is also a D2D. We have a train transfer, a hotel stay with transfers to the airport and flight the following afternoon. 

The fare advertised clearly states (in the UK anyway) that your D2D cruise includes transfers from the ship to the airport. There isn't a mention of "unless its too long a wait"!

Unfortunately your Travel Agent should be sorting this out and telling SS to stop being silly and provide what's been paid for.

The room part it would appear is part of the new saving regime. My sailing from Barbados at the weekend, I've been told they are not providing a room prior to our 6pm flight. So we leave the ship at 8.30 for our 20 minute coach ride and that's a luxury experience!

image.thumb.png.88ec0ddb8e922e99935fe76f2bf0696c.png

image.png.cf16ee8d14c5a71daf22ba2d025a558e.png

Have you enquired on your roll call?

Since flights from Seward will all be late (apart from the earlier ones which you wouldn't make.) So I'd be asking if everyone else is facing this situation.

Makes me a tad concerned about my train transfer as Alaskan Railroad doesn't start running until the 15 May. I've been assured its a charter (which I know is the normal), but worrying all the same. SS have given my TA several responses on this cruise which I've proved to be wrong. My TA was told this too, but failed to reply back. I get the impression its too much effort! It's bad because it really creates an extremely unfavourable impression going forward.

I can't comment on the day room but can on the transfer. All passengers were taken from the ship in Seward to Anchorage, airport or hotel. P2P were taken in chartered buses, D2D on a chartered train.

I believe the info. you are getting about the transfer is incorrect.

3 hours ago, alithecat said:

I can't comment on the day room but can on the transfer. All passengers were taken from the ship in Seward to Anchorage, airport or hotel. P2P were taken in chartered buses, D2D on a chartered train.

I believe the info. you are getting about the transfer is incorrect.

Did they give the passengers time in Seward or take them directly to Anchorage?

6 hours ago, kh76sp said:

We booked the Door to Door cruise. Here is a quote from my TA's email on the subject:

"I inquired again about a day room on 5/18. Unfortunately, they're not offering it. They're now telling me since your flight departs on 5/19, transfers are forfeited. This makes no sense to me as a red eye is very common to depart from Anchorage. For a luxury cruise line, this isn't a very "luxurious" answer. I then asked about purchasing transfers and they don't offer it"

My husband is working on an email to SilverSea - he keeps his cool much better than I do...

That is absolutely ridiculous!  S/S should be ashamed of SilverSky!  S/S booked that flight, they should still provide the transfer.  Along with other posters, your TA should be sorting this out.  (But it would hurt to check other flight availability in the meantime.) I am so sorry you are going through this.

Edit:  I would go with the information from @alithecat.  In any case, once you are on the ship, there won't be a problem.  They will note you have D2D and book you on the train.

Edited by Port Power

4 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Edit:  I would go with the information from @alithecat.  In any case, once you are on the ship, there won't be a problem.  They will note you have D2D and book you on the train.

Let's hope you're right.  Carnival ruined Seabourne.  Royal is apparently determined to do the same to Silversea.  Thank God Azamara is now independent!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Strumdatjag said:

Did they give the passengers time in Seward or take them directly to Anchorage?

No time. The train tracks and buses come right up to the cruise ship dock. You go directly from the ship to either the train (if D2D or you have P2P and paid extra for it), or to the chartered buses. You will get to the airport at 12:30-1pm. No one is left behind in Seward.

What I am about to write is totally unhelpful to the poor OP. 

Wind back 5 years or so. Was SS the penny-pinching, over-priced line so often illustrated on threads like these? 

I find the subject of this thread quite shocking. No way to treat a paying customer. I presume it's the RCL influence but, whatever, it's wholly unacceptable. What with P2P/D2D nonsense, air booking catastrophes, altered itineraries and ambitious pricing, what has happened to our favourite cruise line? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, broker1217 said:

Has your TA call contacted SS Air to inquire about a routing that departs before midnight?

With all due respect, your TA should be working this issue and problem solving.

I’m sorry you are having this issue and that you and your husband have to try to resolve. 

If it were me, I would research alternate routings/airlines to see if there is an earlier departure.

Frustrating, but dealing with cruise line air requires micro management. 

Yes, she is working on it and getting as frustrated as we are! And we HAVE researched flights, finding that there ARE Business class seats (which we paid for originally) on earlier flights on Delta (booked carrier) and Alaskan Airlines.

Edited by kh76sp

12 hours ago, Port Power said:

once you are on the ship, there won't be a problem.  They will note you have D2D and book you on the train.

Really? Can you guarantee that? May I quote you to SilverSea? 😂🤣

Here is the email my husband sent to BarbaraM, our siblings, our TA and guestrelations@silversea.com:

Dear Barbara M.:

We are happily booked on Silver Whisper from Tokyo, Japan to Seward, Alaska departing May 5, 2023, booking # 268305-22.  This email is to ask for clarification regarding unexpected details.

Your “Door-to-Door” package was attractive, but we were disappointed to learn that the scheduled Delta return flight departs Anchorage at 12:55 AM on May 19.  What is more, we were told that since the flight departed on the day after ship arrival, transfers from Seward to Anchorage were “forfeited.”

It is not luxury to have to kill hours at Anchorage airport waiting for the red-eye flight to SeaTac.  We are traveling with family, whose Anchorage flight is in the afternoon of May 18.  It is intolerable to be told that we “forfeit” transfers from the ship to Anchorage.  

On an earlier cruise to Seward, transfers to Anchorage and convenient return flight were arranged through the cruise line.  There are Delta flights from Anchorage available during the day of ship disembarkation, May 18, 2023. 

Some of this may be an unintentional slip by Silversea staff or just a poor translation of  how our cruise package is being handled.  We ask herewith  that slips and forfeitures be cleared up for our “Door-to-Door” package luxury cruise.  Let us know soon, please, how these apparently shoddy elements of our Deluxe Cruise are to be corrected.

Yours very truly

John E. Trunek 

Good Luck OP. I am absolutely shocked by this. It's bad enough they've given you such a late flight when earlier is available, but this nonsense that because they put you on a terrible flight, you can't have the train transfer either.

I genuinely think this will get resolved with the minimum of the transfer reinstated. Your flights will have been ticketed so I don't think that will be changed, but hope it can be.

I mentioned that on the cruise I fly out for tomorrow, we too are being dumped at the airport and 10 hour wait (much like yours will be) and my remonstration that's not how the Line has been run in the past and the reply was "there are no rooms provided on any Caribbean cruises". That's a change as we've certainly had one in the past. The consultant suggested asking again once on board regarding staying a while longer (which I know wont happen) or at least assisting with storage so we can have a wander and make our our way by taxi would be helpful.

As also mentioned, in Anchorage on our arrival a week before yours, we got an overnight stay included for a next day in the afternoon flight. There isnt much anyone can do about flight times if they don't tie up nicely, but it seems they are certainly ignoring their responsibility to you. This isn't penny pinching - its far worse.

Hoping for a happy ending.

• Like 3