Understanding the internet package

Voom & Stream package

The offer we have is $17.99 per guest per day

There are 4 guests in the cabin.

If we select all 4 guests with 1 device each, the price total comes out to $503.72.

If we select 1 guest with 4 devices, the price comes to $370.93.

What are the differences here (other than the $133)?

There really is no difference.  Just order the one guest and 4 devices and save the money.  All four people will be able to logon at the same time using the passcode. I’ve never understood why Royal Caribbean sells the plans that way.  

Edited by spelican
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, spelican said:

There really is no difference.  Just order the one guest and 4 devices and save the money.  All four people will be able to logon at the same time using the passcode. I’ve never understood why Royal Caribbean sells the plans that way.  

Is it 4 guests, 1 device each = 4 separate logins and passwords? vs. 1 guest with 4 devices = 1 login and 1 password on all 4 devices?

9 minutes ago, Newcruiser2012 said:

That is correct.

1 guest with 4 devices can all be logged in at the same time with the same login and password?

Edited by klfrodo

4 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

1 guest with 4 devices can all be logged in at the same time with the same login and password?

Yes. When you try to add a 5th device, it will warn you that there are already 4 devices, and ask if you want to continue. If you continue, it will bump one of the other 4 devices off. Not sure if anyone has determined a pattern as to which device will get bumped.

Or you can actively log off using logoff.com (or something like that) on one device before joining with another.

2 hours ago, RobInMN said:

Yes. When you try to add a 5th device, it will warn you that there are already 4 devices, and ask if you want to continue. If you continue, it will bump one of the other 4 devices off. Not sure if anyone has determined a pattern as to which device will get bumped.

Or you can actively log off using logoff.com (or something like that) on one device before joining with another.

Yes, and as you might infer from that description depending how much internet each person expects to use, you may not need to buy all 4; you be able to might share.  
If for example, one person tends to disconnect on vacation, only going on line for a short time now and then, you might decide three devices is enough.  

• Like 1

If you want to stretch out 4 days of free internet on a 7 night cruise if you're diamond+ as a couple.  Any shorter cruise and it's even easier.

Day 1 - start at 6pm

Day 2 - ends at 6pm

Day 3 - start at noon

Day 4 - end at noon

Day 4 - start at 6pm

Day 5 - end at 6pm

Day 5 - start at 9pm

Day 6 - end at 9pm

Day 7 - back home and turn on cell service

Edited by Blur
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Livesteamer said:

If I have one device logged in (a smartphone), can I use the smartphone as my hotspot for other devices in my cabin?

Yes if your cell phone lets you hotspot a Wi-Fi source.  Not all phones can do this so try it at home.  Also hotspoting and travel routers only work in your room... (Or very short range due to the metal structure of the ship)  Don't expect it to be accessible around the ship.  But it's great if you don't want to keep switching devices in the room at night.  Also if you plan on using lots of bandwidth eg streaming video on multiple devices I would still get multiple voom devices so you get more bandwidth.

Edited by Blur

50 minutes ago, Blur said:

Also hotspoting and travel routers only work in your room... (Or very short range due to the metal structure of the ship)  Don't expect it to be accessible around the ship.

Works fine as long as you take your hotspot with you😉.

Likely a non-issue if using your phone as the hotspot

• Haha 1

Just now, RobInMN said:

Works fine as long as you take your hotspot with you😉.

Likely a non-issue if using your phone as the hotspot

True but more likely to be potentially surrounded by voom police if they wanted to find you.  I mainly just use mine in the cabin at night so my wife can watch movies while I browse which is easy enough to do on one connection.  If we were both watching movies I'd get 2 accounts for the extra bandwidth.

18 hours ago, Candleonwater said:

Just to make sure I'm on track - we are D+ and I see that we get two free days of Voom.  So we need to wait until we're onboard, use those two days, THEN purchase voom?  Is that accurate?

Just remember that you would be paying the higher on-board daily rate for the additional days.  I thought I remember it being almost $30/day.

Also, not to highjack the thread, but I was just on liberty a couple of weeks ago.  Both me and my wife are D+.  The person at the Voom station was trying to say that we only got 2 days of internet per stateroom, even though we were both D+.  I believed that since we are both D+, we each get 2 days and its not per stateroom.  It was only a 3 day cruise and so it didn't really matter, but just wanted to confirm from someone on here that I was correct in that we each get 2 days.

Edited by The Scurvy Pirate

9 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Just remember that you would be paying the higher on-board daily rate for the additional days.  I thought I remember it being almost $30/day.

Also, not to highjack the thread, but I was just on liberty a couple of weeks ago.  Both me and my wife are D+.  The person at the Voom station was trying to say that we only got 2 days of internet per stateroom, even though we were both D+.  I believed that since we are both D+, we each get 2 days and its not per stateroom.  It was only a 3 day cruise and so it didn't really matter, but just wanted to confirm from someone on here that I was correct in that we each get 2 days.

Oh, I'd like to know as well. Also, wondering if we should just buy one "full cruise" package at the current sale price. I think it's roughly the same as we would pay onboard for 2 days (based on what you think the price is onboard)

13 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

It was only a 3 day cruise and so it didn't really matter, but just wanted to confirm from someone on here that I was correct in that we each get 2 days.

Yes, every D+ gets their own perk, regardless of the length of the cruise. You should not need to visit the Voom person for that - it should be obvious in the app when you try to sign up for a Voom package. The $ perk should equal 2 x the cost of the lowest tier 24 hour package.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, every D+ gets their own perk, regardless of the length of the cruise. 

Confirming as correct, as recently as last week aboard Jewel.

Also confirming that each D+ two days can be done one day at a time. Schedule your time spanning days, and keeping in mind in U.S. ports where you have cell service for hotspotting.

Re discussion of hotspotting off a single device. You can't hotspot wi-fi to wi-fi on an iOS device natively, I have no knowledge of Android devices.

36 minutes ago, Candleonwater said:

Oh, I'd like to know as well. Also, wondering if we should just buy one "full cruise" package at the current sale price. I think it's roughly the same as we would pay onboard for 2 days (based on what you think the price is onboard)

We travel are D+ and travel as a couple mostly 6-8 night cruises.  We have limited internet needs.  We generally share/spread our days similar to post #10.  We use both of one partner’s days first.  Before using the second partner’s we check the price of Internet for remainder of cruise less second partner’s benefit; sometimes the cost is trivial.

To me factors I’d consider favors of purchasing internet precruise (rather than using only my D+ freebie) might include: length of cruise (the longer the cruise, the more likely precruise sale price will outweigh the D+ benefit), the individual’s need/desire for connectivity on that cruise (wanting or needing online access 24/7 weighs toward precruise purchase), precruise sale price (the better the sale, the more tempting), how well partners can share (some want/need to be online at the same time, so sharing would cause conflicts)

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, every D+ gets their own perk, regardless of the length of the cruise.

Our first cruise as diamond is coming up in a week. So my wife and I will each get one day of internet. To clarify, that means 24 hours each, that can be broken up over the course of several days?

27 minutes ago, ramja96 said:

Our first cruise as diamond is coming up in a week. So my wife and I will each get one day of internet. To clarify, that means 24 hours each, that can be broken up over the course of several days?

It is one continuous 24 hour period from the time you start using it. So people spread it across “days” by starting a 9:00 on one day and then it ends a 8:59 the next day. 

Edited by monorail81

4 minutes ago, ramja96 said:

So I have to buy a package to get my diamond "reward"??? That doesn't sound like much of a reward. 

Not sure what you are expecting. The perk is a discount equal to the value of the lowest tier 24 hour package (typically about $28-$30). You can use it on that or apply it to a package for the entire cruise. 

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1