Bicycle Rental in St. Maarten

unclegrandpa

Has anyone rented a bicycle in Philipsburg close to the cruise terminal? How much was it and is there anything open in the morning?

I am thinking of renting a bicycle for sightseeing and visiting Marigot. Is it possible to go there by bike? The map shows just 9 km.

7 hours ago, unclegrandpa said:

Has anyone rented a bicycle in Philipsburg close to the cruise terminal? How much was it and is there anything open in the morning?

I am thinking of renting a bicycle for sightseeing and visiting Marigot. Is it possible to go there by bike? The map shows just 9 km.

There were places along Front Street, about a 15/20 minute walk.

One’s personal thoughts only.

However, one would question the taking a cycle ride to Marigot.
It’s an extremely busy, repeat extremely busy, main artery, many cars, trucks, vans etc., (some drivers can be considered insane) and in a possible very high temperature, would not be very pleasant or considered absolutely 100% safe.
If taking the ride, in the event of a possible accident, please let your Insurance Company know your plan, as they may consider it a dangerous event and request a premium on one’s standard holiday policy.

And aren't those bicycles more beach cruiser type rather than road bikes?

Seriously, even with a road bike, I wouldn't try to go from Phillipsburg to Marigot, I don't recall any real shoulder along the roadway and there's tons of traffic.  

The 9km route doesn't go where cars can go. So I wasn't talking about any major artery. I have been to St Maarten this time of the year before. I didn't notice any extreme heat. Just checked the temperatures and it shows 82F most of the week. 

3 minutes ago, unclegrandpa said:

The 9km route doesn't go where cars can go. So I wasn't talking about any major artery. I have been to St Maarten this time of the year before. I didn't notice any extreme heat. Just checked the temperatures and it shows 82F most of the week. 

If one is happy with every element, and insurance, then it’s one’s choice.

I have rented bikes in St. Martin and done a bike tour. We used this company https://www.trisportsxm.com/bicycle-rental-5.html. We took a bus to Simpson Bay to pick up and drop off but cab is fine as well.  We rode past airport, Maho, Mullet Bay and past the border.  I liked this better than picking up in Phillipsburg.  It was fine.  Tour we did was off the beaten path and actually better as our guide knew the island.  If you are used to biking, give them a call.  

On 3/10/2023 at 10:55 AM, unclegrandpa said:

google trisports sxm.  

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is interested I did rent a bicycle at the pier and rode to Marigot. I went on the road with cars. It's about 11km rather than the 9km route I was originally thinking of. It took me about 40 minutes. It's not too bad. There weren't many bicyclists but I did see a few. There was some traffic on the Dutch side close to the French border. There was also sidewalk in that area that I used to go around the waiting cars. It's not hot yet this time of the year.

Trisports told me most people rent their bicycles at the airport. I was able to rent it at the pier because they were giving a bicycle tour for the cruisers. I first did a tour with them for 3 hours in Phillipsburg that I purchased on the ship. The bicycle rental itself was 20 dollars. They told me to lock the bike to the other bikes and take a picture when I return it

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/2/2023 at 11:10 AM, unclegrandpa said:

If anyone is interested I did rent a bicycle at the pier and rode to Marigot. I went on the road with cars. It's about 11km rather than the 9km route I was originally thinking of. It took me about 40 minutes. It's not too bad. There weren't many bicyclists but I did see a few. There was some traffic on the Dutch side close to the French border. There was also sidewalk in that area that I used to go around the waiting cars. It's not hot yet this time of the year.

Trisports told me most people rent their bicycles at the airport. I was able to rent it at the pier because they were giving a bicycle tour for the cruisers. I first did a tour with them for 3 hours in Phillipsburg that I purchased on the ship. The bicycle rental itself was 20 dollars. They told me to lock the bike to the other bikes and take a picture when I return it

They are a really good company to work with.  We are going to be using them again.  Glad you had fun.

• 9 months later...
On 4/2/2023 at 11:10 AM, unclegrandpa said:

I was looking for info on the Historical Philipsburg By Bicycle tour from our ship (Norwegian Viva) that will be in St. Martin on April 10, 2024. It appears that you took a similar 3 hour tour. How were the bikes and would you recommend that tour? We have been to the island many times and that is about the only excursion that interests me. 

Thanks, John

54 minutes ago, JWGrayson said:

I was looking for info on the Historical Philipsburg By Bicycle tour from our ship (Norwegian Viva) that will be in St. Martin on April 10, 2024. It appears that you took a similar 3 hour tour. How were the bikes and would you recommend that tour? We have been to the island many times and that is about the only excursion that interests me. 

Thanks, John

It is ok for what it is, a 3 hour tour. I personally prefer full day group tours if it's hiking or bicycling. So it depends on what you plan to do for the rest of the day.

It was good for me because it let me rent the bike from them on the spot and go over to the French side. So I toured Phillipsburg with the group for the first half of the day and then did the French side on my own for the rest of the day. I would recommend this tour to people who plan to do it this way or have something else planned. 

The bikes were ok. The helmets were ok as well. They were the cheapest Trek bicycles, hybrid type. They were better bicycles than a bicycle I got on my St Lucia rainforest tour. Over there neither the bicycles nor helmets were ok.

20230401_143239.jpg