What’s the best itinerary from Amsterdam?

12 NIGHTS

British Isles Cruise

Jewel of the Seas

ROUNDTRIP FROM:Amsterdam, Netherlands

VISITING:

• Amsterdam, Netherlands
  • Inverness / Loch Ness, Scotland
  • Belfast, Northern Ireland
  • Glasgow (Greenock), Scotland
  • Holyhead, Wales
  • Liverpool, England
  • Cork (Cobh), Ireland
  • Dover, England
  • Amsterdam, Netherlands

12 NIGHTS

Iceland & Scotland Cruise

Jewel of the Seas

VISITING:

• Amsterdam, Netherlands
  • Akureyri, Iceland
  • Reykjavik, Iceland
  • Lerwick / Shetland, Scotland
  • Inverness / Loch Ness, Scotland
  • Edinburgh (S. Queensferry), Scotland
  • Amsterdam, Netherlands

8 NIGHTS

Norwegian Fjords Cruise

Jewel of the Seas

VISITING:

• Amsterdam, Netherlands
  • Olden, Norway
  • Flam, Norway
  • Geiranger, Norway
  • Alesund, Norway
  • Molde, Norway
  • Amsterdam, Netherlands

12 NIGHTS

Iceland & Ireland Cruise

Jewel of the Seas

VISITING:

• Amsterdam, Netherlands
  • Reykjavik, Iceland
  • Akureyri, Iceland
  • Seydisfjordur, Iceland
  • Belfast, Northern Ireland
  • Liverpool, England
  • Cork (Cobh), Ireland
  • Amsterdam, Netherlands

If it was me the first 12 night Iceland and Scotland or the Fjords cruise, but I am from the UK so wouldn’t do a British Isles cruise.

I am going.  My 3rd Fjords cruise in June on P&O Iona. Just love the Fjords cruises, so relaxing and stunning scenery.

Love the Jewel too, sailed on her in October T/A from Barcelona to Port Canaveral.

Whichever you choose, enjoy. 

We did a 24-night B2B Arctic Circle, then Iceland & Ireland on Jewel last Summer. It was awesome! And Norway is absolutely stunning.

Is there a reason you've eliminated the 12-night Arctic Circle cruises (there's 5)? If that's available to you, that would be my first pick. It's basically a Fjord cruise, but you go all the way up to Honningsvag where you can go to Nordcap. @little britain beat me to the 'Submit' button.

If that one is out, then it's a hard choice, since the Fjord cruise is only 8 nights. If it was 12 nights, that would totally be my second choice (or first among the ones listed). But at 8 nights, that give's a lot more weight to either of the Iceland ones.

So, a couple things to think about:

1. I think I've seen some grumblings that Norway may look to limit cruise ships in the fjords (by mandating alternative fuels?), so you may want to get that done first just in case that happens.
  2. In our opinion, we were so impressed by Norway, that we wish we did Iceland first. Doing Norway first, Iceland sort of lost some of it's "wow!" factor. So if you'll ever go back to do "the other cruise", might want to save Norway?
  3. The 2 main Fjords are Geiranger & Flam. If you can schedule a cruise that hits both, plus Honningsvag, that's the trifecta in my book.

If you can swing it, my highest recommendation would be to to the B2B. Arctic Circle with either Iceland itinerary.

Edited by RobInMN
  • Like 2

I would do Iceland/Ireland cruise.  I had one booked on Celebrity for 2020.  It started and ended in Dublin.  I wish they would do that rather than Amsterdam.  I still hope to do Ireland/Iceland cruise one day.

• Like 1

That Norway cruise hits the 3 main Fjords, most 7 nights only catch 2. Although the shortest of the bunch, it is a nice itinerary (did the nine night on Jewel with a similar itinerary last Aug-Sept). If you don't think you will ever get a chance to cruise that area again, do Norway. If you think you will get back again, do one of the Iceland trips and plan a longer cruise for Norway that gets farther north (although those 3 fjords make a great trip).

They are all good so it depends on your wish list. Do you want to sample as many countries or do you want to see a lot of one country.

If Iceland is on bucket list, don’t waste sea time. NCL does sailings out of Iceland that goes also to Greenland.

Also when flying to Europe, try to take the longest cruise possible since airfares are high.

In the end I vote for the 8 night Norway cruise and then any 12 nighter