Anyone dine at Chops on Oasis of the Seas lately? Thoughts?

My son is getting married on the Oasis of the Seas. After a lot of back and forth the hubby and I booked Chops for the rehearsal dinner for 27 guests. They told us that they would have to seat us in two groups (8:30 and 9pm) because of the size of the party. Since they offered no other option, we agreed. However today I saw a video posted be a couple 2 months ago that had a 7:30 reservation but they didn’t get their entrees until 9:30!! They described a very chaotic scene, certainly not what I want to the rehearsal dinner, especially with the seating being staggered. Anyone with any recent experience dining at Chops on the Oasis?

10 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

That post should be taken with a giant grain of salt. 

Are you doubting  what the OP saw in the video? It is what it is. The OP saw it.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Are you doubting  what the OP saw in the video? It is what it is. The OP saw it.

The video would have to be three hours long for me to believe a couple sat for two hours waiting for their dinner.  You believe 50 or 60 people just sat twiddling their thumbs for two hours... Yes highly doubt full. 

12 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

The video would have to be three hours long for me to believe a couple sat for two hours waiting for their dinner.  You believe 50 or 60 people just sat twiddling their thumbs for two hours... Yes highly doubt full. 

Wouldn't doubt anything with lack of help and new inexperienced chefs and cooks as has been reported.  Anything is possible.

In the MDR you may get up and leave, in a pay restaurant you may not get up because you paid quite a bit. Would you film it for for 3 hours straight, most likely not.

Edited by Jimbo

I think i would work out something else. A private area in the mdr, or some other venue that would be more accomodating.  We don't eat in Chops very often but have found service there has been slow, though not as slow as described.

• Like 1

@dleahy4444 Are your parties of 13/14 the only ones in Chops?  1/2 hour between isn't much.

Service can be slow with larger groups.  But someotmes they pay special attention to large groups.  We were in Chops on the Odyssey one time and a party of 8-10 came in after we were seated and they were getting their entrees before we were finished with our salads.

Speak to the maître d' on boarding and reassure they can handle in a timely manner.

4 minutes ago, BazingAu said:

@dleahy4444 I'm curious who you spoke with? Can they accommodate your group in another restaurant? TBH, 27 people does not seem like a very large group, especially for an Oasis class ship.

Chops is fairly narrow and the seating configuration doesn't have a lot of options for changing.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Chops is fairly narrow and the seating configuration doesn't have a lot of options for changing.

The Chops on Oasis of the Seas looks like it has several large round tables on one side? Surely, they could fit 3-4 tables there for OP's group?

Chops Grille on Oasis of the Seas - Picture of Oasis of the Seas, World -  Tripadvisor

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

That post should be taken with a giant grain of salt. 

It was a video recorded by the couple as they waited in the restaurant. They posted it on YouTube which is where I saw it.

1 hour ago, BazingAu said:

@dleahy4444 I'm curious who you spoke with? Can they accommodate your group in another restaurant? TBH, 27 people does not seem like a very large group, especially for an Oasis class ship.

I went through the events planning people. It was very difficult to book anything at all. Originally I wanted to do it at 150 Central Park but was told they couldn’t accommodate us

1 hour ago, njkruzer said:

I think i would work out something else. A private area in the mdr, or some other venue that would be more accomodating.  We don't eat in Chops very often but have found service there has been slow, though not as slow as described.

I have tried to no avail. The group is meeting in the MDR most nights but I wanted to do something special for the rehearsal dinner

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

@dleahy4444 Are your parties of 13/14 the only ones in Chops?  1/2 hour between isn't much.

Service can be slow with larger groups.  But someotmes they pay special attention to large groups.  We were in Chops on the Odyssey one time and a party of 8-10 came in after we were seated and they were getting their entrees before we were finished with our salads.

Speak to the maître d' on boarding and reassure they can handle in a timely manner.

Yes I plan to speak to the maitre d’ as soon as I board. I also booked a suite for us as well as the bride and groom in hopes that the concierge can help smooth things out

Just now, dleahy4444 said:

I have tried to no avail. The group is meeting in the MDR most nights but I wanted to do something special for the rehearsal dinner

Understand your problem but still think there must be somewhere else.   Most important,  enjoy the celebration.  Weddings are always special. 

1 minute ago, njkruzer said:

Understand your problem but still think there must be somewhere else.   Most important,  enjoy the celebration.  Weddings are always special. 

Thank you. Getting married on a cruise ship seems like a good idea, until you get into the logistics. But I’d probably be stressed anyway even if it was on land. It’s the nature of the event

2 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

Thank you. Getting married on a cruise ship seems like a good idea, until you get into the logistics. But I’d probably be stressed anyway even if it was on land. It’s the nature of the event

Yes!  Done it 2x and recall the stress,  especially when the wedding was 3000 miles away!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, melbur said:

IMHO the food in Chops on Oasis is not great.

Did you try Giovannis? That way your guests could choose from more options - pasta, seafood, steak, all excellent on that ship. 

My choice also.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, melbur said:

IMHO the food in Chops on Oasis is not great.

Did you try Giovannis? That way your guests could choose from more options - pasta, seafood, steak, all excellent on that ship. 

I had not considered that. Thanks for the suggestion 

On 3/10/2023 at 4:04 PM, dleahy4444 said:

I went through the events planning people. It was very difficult to book anything at all. Originally I wanted to do it at 150 Central Park but was told they couldn’t accommodate us

I think your best is to get on board early and speak with the Maître D. TBH, I don't think they will have any issues accommodating your group on board in any of the specialty restaurants. Or maybe request the on-board Maitre D contact you via email directly since the events group can't figure it out? (The events group seems very ineffective.)

• Thanks 1