Mont-Saint-Michel from Caudebec?

Suzanne123

Pretty sure that's going to be nearly an impossible distance to do that practically.  Thats about 3 hours EACH WAY),

I went through there last year, but we had relocated to St. Malo on the land extension before they (amawaterways) took us over there.

We did Caen and Bayeaux from Caudebec (and then to LeHavre as the ship moved..and that saved some time on the return) and believe me that was quite enough time on the road for one day.

But I will say if you can work it out, Mont St Michel is a heck of a thing but I would be SURE you were actually going to be able to do the internal tour and not just walk around the island.  We had a time we had to meet to be at the tour start at 11am, not sure how hard that was or if it was just for groups...

Edited by CastleCritic
  • Like 1

Caudebec is on the coast called the Alabaster Cliffs – the opposite side to the White Cliffs of Dover and very similar (and very scenic) – there may be a shore excursion to Fecamp and Cap Fagnet.  There is also a Benedictine Palace in Caudebec, with tastings of the liqueur, and the seaside town of Caudebec has a nice beach boardwalk that goes close to the chalk cliffs on the south.  Even though it's not up there with Mont-St-Michel, it makes a very nice day on its own.

• Like 1

Go to www.France-hotel-guide.com and ask it when to visit mont saint michel. It shows when it’s busy when it’s not it’s really quite interesting and may be of help. Interesting place well worth visiting but you do need time to really appreciate it.

• Like 1

I understand the distance, and it would be an all day tour, but wouldn’t be much worse than visiting Paris from Le Harve, Berlin from Warmunde or even Mt. Rainier from Seattle.
I have been to Mont-Saint-Michel several years go, but my daughter has not, so I’d love to show her.

I know there are all-day tours from Paris, but that involves even more driving. Another option might be to visit the area a couple days before the cruise.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

1 hour ago, Suzanne123 said:

Another option might be to visit the area a couple days before the cruise.

I highly recommend this if you can.  Staying at one of the hotels right on the mainland opposite M-S-M gives you beautiful views at night.

• Like 1

We went this summer, got there when it opened, and had the Abbey practically to ourselves.  By the time we left, it was getting very crowded.  It gets up to 15,000 visitors a day.  Coming from that distance, there is no way you could get there early enough to beat the crowds.  You might tick the box, but it may not be a pleasant experience.

I'll second just planning a couple extra days and seeing it on your own schedule.  If you want help planning, we've used a French company for 2 different trips and I can't recommend them highly enough.  They planned a week in Paris and Provence, and then 12 days in Normandy, Brittany, and the Loire a few years later.  https://www.france-justforyou.com

• Like 1

We weren't there on a busy day but that place has Disney world amounts of parking (and you have to take the shuttle bus to get to the abbey itself...or a really long walk). and its not that large so yes beating the crowds would be key.

having gone from that area (St Malo) to Paris by (chartered) bus in a single day to end that trip....I cant recommend it that as a both way trip.  With a few hour stop for lunch/exploring I think we left at 8 and pulled into the hotel at the airport at 6...

• Like 1