If you do NOT book thru NCL; do you get Bid Upgrade Options??

Gen X Life

3 hours ago, Gen X Life said:

If you do not book directly through NCL; do you get upgrade bid options??  If so have you been successful?? Thank you

Some travel agents, who can not be named on Cruise Critic, do not participate in the Upgrade Advantage program, so their clients are ineligible for upgrade.

On our last cruise, we got invited about 110 days prior to departure. So,,, if you are sailing before the 4th of July, it is too soon. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2023 at 9:46 PM, drumming cruisers said:

So I received the message "We are sorry, we have no space available." Does this mean I'm ineligible? Or since my cruise is 165 days out, and I haven't made final payment yet, is it just too early? Any help greatly appreciated!

1 hour ago, SeekingKillerWhales! said:

So I received the message "We are sorry, we have no space available." Does this mean I'm ineligible? Or since my cruise is 165 days out, and I haven't made final payment yet, is it just too early? Any help greatly appreciated!

Bidding is for upgrading after final payment. There would be no purpose in allowing bidding while people are free to cancel/upgrade without penalties. Keep in mind the bidding process is for NCL to increase income.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, julig22 said:

Bidding is for upgrading after final payment. There would be no purpose in allowing bidding while people are free to cancel/upgrade without penalties. Keep in mind the bidding process is for NCL to increase income.

I think that you just contradicted yourself. If bidding is to generate income, then getting commitments early is exactly what you want. And if the ship is running low of certain inventory, shuffle a few rooms early will maximize your load. 

We got an upgrade to a beautiful –story suite last year for a minimum bid ($250x2). I honestly did not remember that I had made the bid because I had thrown it out there the day the offer arrived. 

Edited by BirdTravels

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

I think that you just contradicted yourself. If bidding is to generate income, then getting commitments early is exactly what you want. And if the ship is running low of certain inventory, shuffle a few rooms early will maximize your load. 

We got an upgrade to a beautiful –story suite last year for a minimum bid ($250x2). I honestly did not remember that I had made the bid because I had thrown it out there the day the offer arrived. 

No contradiction.  Point being difference between before and after final payment.  Bids add income from reservations that are already committed and can't be changed without penalty. 

I once got an upgrade -ov to balcony - shortly after final payment, because I was in a sold out category.  But never heard of anybody getting offers to bid prior to final payment date.