Arriving in Venice, time required?

Fishboy1947

24 minutes ago, Fishboy1947 said:

How much time should I plan to get bags and get through customs?

Looks like booking a van for 5 would make sense to Piazzale Roma, about 60 euro

There are several flights from the US that arrive right around the same time so it can sometimes be a bottleneck. We arranged for a pick up service that took us through immigration at the front of the line last time in June and it was quick but the normal line was most likely 45ish minutes. 

Where in Venice are you going? Often times taking a water taxi will be faster (it can take you directly to some hotels) unless you are staying close to Piazzale Roma. Also the water taxi is an absolutely magical way of arriving into the city. 

I would plan on an hour to get through the arrivals process and get your luggage. It may take a bit more or less time, but an hour is a good starting point estimate. As euro cruiser said, transportation agencies are used to the vagaries of airport arrivals and also can track arrivals in case your flight is late. 

Thank you all for the info. I had read horror stories about several European airports taking 2 hrs or more last summer.

We are staying near Piazzale Roma, Hotel Olimpia

The water taxi sounds like a neat experience but with 5 of us, I have to pick and choose our specials. A $10-20 up charge for a transfer vs bus sounds good 😊