Attention: Transatlantic weather doubters

14 hours ago, Canuker said:

This is North West France a day or ago:

High waves crash into the seafront at Plobannalec-Lesconil, northwestern France

Although we avoid getting that close to the shoreline, I have multiple similar experiences in the Atlantic, Bay of Biscay and Western Approaches.

3 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I believe Heidi is showing us a recent storm in the Bay of Biscay…for the benefit of those sailing from UK to Azores/Med.    

It was not Heidi

33 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I believe Heidi is showing us a recent storm in the Bay of Biscay…for the benefit of those sailing from UK to Azores/Med.    

Sorry…Canuker.  Rest assured…if things are rough in the Channel they will be rough in the Bay.

16 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

The roughest seas we have been in was the Mediterranean 

15 m waves  between Toulon and Barcelona on the Celebrity Equinox 

Certainly won't dispute the wave heights, but that close to the coast, with very little fetch, 50' waves are highly unusual. In that area of the Meddy, I believe Storm Gloria in early 2020 had the largest recorded significant wave height, at about 28 feet. I recall this violent storm from the news, as we were on a World Cruise in the South Pacific.

Rough seas and the effect on ships are more than just wave height, as any swell, confused seas, wave period and direction all play a role in ship movement.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Certainly won't dispute the wave heights, but that close to the coast, with very little fetch, 50' waves are highly unusual. In that area of the Meddy, I believe Storm Gloria in early 2020 had the largest recorded significant wave height, at about 28 feet. I recall this violent storm from the news, as we were on a World Cruise in the South Pacific.

Rough seas and the effect on ships are more than just wave height, as any swell, confused seas, wave period and direction all play a role in ship movement.

I am just going by what the offices told us 

5 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I am just going by what the offices told us 

Unfortunately, determining wave heights, especially from a Bridge about 80' above the water is little more than an educated guess.

At least in my days, some of the officers may have embellished information provided to pax and then waited for the inevitable laundry rumours to start circling around the ship.  Although you don't see the Deck Officers around the ship too often, these days, similar situations could possibly still occur.

• 6 months later...