Are $2 bills appreciated for tips?

10 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I have read that $2 bills often create confusion at foriegn banks because they are not common and some banks don't recognize them as being official currency. I don't know how true that is but it makes sense to me. Give out $1 bills so the receiever won't have an issue converting it to whatever currency they choose.

There are retailers in our own country that won’t accept them. Why saddle someone dealing in foreign markets with this burden?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

How so?  What evidence do you have that it is an inconvenience to the crewmembers? 

I will tell you in Mexico, most places that accept USD, will not take either 2 dollar bills or any coins.  The servers at restaurants and bars we frequent will ask us to exchange their $2 and coins for either other USD or pesos.  Even US based grocery stores in Mexico won't take them.  So unless they are spending them in a US port, it is probably an issue.

4 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Not likely old enough to be collectible value, not new either since she passed a few years before the pandemic.

Funny, I just read an article the other day about this.  The article stated that no matter how old or how new a $2.00 bill is, it depends on how many of a certain series were made or what color the seal is and there were two definite dates that stood out.  I can't remember any of the specifics now and I can't find the article again.  But, new or old, it might be worth our time to check out the $2.00 bills before spending them.  One thing is for sure, they are worth $2.00.  I know I have many $2.00 bills that my wife got from her mother that we will never spend.  We'll pass them on to the kids along with many other coins and bills.    

3 minutes ago, Langoustine said:

Merchants at the ports will often refuse to take them. Even within the U.S. they are sometimes rejected because they are so out of the ordinary that people think they aren't real currency.

Yep I wish I’d used more of them pre-pandemic, I had many trips I could have but kept leaving them in my luggage in the room. Now as we come out on the other side of the pandemic I expect more will think they’re fake.

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

Funny, I just read an article the other day about this.  The article stated that no matter how old or how new a $2.00 bill is, it depends on how many of a certain series were made or what color the seal is and there were two definite dates that stood out.  I can't remember any of the specifics now and I can't find the article again.  But, new or old, it might be worth our time to check out the $2.00 bills before spending them.  One thing is for sure, they are worth $2.00.  I know I have many $2.00 bills that my wife got from her mother that we will never spend.  We'll pass them on to the kids along with many other coins and bills.    

Ha, I love that she too got them from her mother, my kids (now all adults) also remember fondly getting them from her, I’ll save a few I’m sure as I am on schedule to become a grandma this year 🙂 but I’m not saving all of them but will look at them all more closely to check any possible value above $2!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Langoustine said:

Merchants at the ports will often refuse to take them. Even within the U.S. they are sometimes rejected because they are so out of the ordinary that people think they aren't real currency.

When I travel abroad, I go out of my way to NOT be the ugly American.  However, when I go to countries where much of their revenue is from American tourists and they don't 1.  try to meet me halfway in speaking English and 2. won't accept a $2.00 bill, I'll tell/ask them that  1.  if they want my money, they need to try to communicate with me and 2. if they want to sell their product to me they need to take my legal tender as is.  Some change their attitude right away while others couldn't care less.  But, I guarantee that if a business doesn't accept a $2.00 bill the next business next door or one down the street will.  Making a blanket statement, not that anyone here has, that businesses or banks don't or won't accept a $2.00 bill is a stretch.  

BTW, when I lived in Europe for 6 years, I was also the Secretary/Treasurer of a fraternal organization over there.  $2.00 bills weren't a problem with the banks or paying for products with local businesses if paying in cash.  

• Like 1

Perhaps with all the inflation, we should eliminate all one and two-dollar bills and promote the use one-dollar coins. (However, the one dollar coins need to be made a little larger because they are often confused with quarters.) 

15 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

When I travel abroad, I go out of my way to NOT be the ugly American.  However, when I go to countries where much of their revenue is from American tourists and they don't 1.  try to meet me halfway in speaking English and 2. won't accept a $2.00 bill, I'll tell/ask them that  1.  if they want my money, they need to try to communicate with me and 2. if they want to sell their product to me they need to take my legal tender as is.  Some change their attitude right away while others couldn't care less.  But, I guarantee that if a business doesn't accept a $2.00 bill the next business next door or one down the street will.  Making a blanket statement, not that anyone here has, that businesses or banks don't or won't accept a $2.00 bill is a stretch.  

BTW, when I lived in Europe for 6 years, I was also the Secretary/Treasurer of a fraternal organization over there.  $2.00 bills weren't a problem with the banks or paying for products with local businesses if paying in cash.  

Isn't this the definition of ugly American.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

Perhaps with all the inflation, we should eliminate all one and two-dollar bills and promote the use one-dollar coins. (However, the one dollar coins need to be made a little larger because they are often confused with quarters.) 

Not to mention the damage done to pockets.  I'd much rather have 10 $1.00 bills or 5 $2.00 bills in my pocket.  It's also expensive for financial institutions to move coins around.  

56 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

I will tell you in Mexico, most places that accept USD, will not take either 2 dollar bills or any coins.  The servers at restaurants and bars we frequent will ask us to exchange their $2 and coins for either other USD or pesos.  Even US based grocery stores in Mexico won't take them.  So unless they are spending them in a US port, it is probably an issue.

I agree.  Why even introduce a potential problem by giving out $2 bills?  Why not make it as easy as possible for the workers on the ship?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Isn't this the definition of ugly American.

As I tried to elude to, I try not to.  But, fair play is fair play and necessary at times.  It's not like it is standard practice for me.  If the business or employee wants to play hardball, I'm happy to pay.  I bend over backward to try to speak the local language. I learned to speak a lot of German when I was stationed in Germany.  Germans are also required to take English in high school or was when I was there.  So, there is no excuse to not meet halfway.  When I was in Italy, I picked up a few keywords right away.   If a business is dependent on U.S. tourism, it should be willing to accept U.S. legal tender, including the $2.00 bill. 

1 hour ago, ShillyShally said:

My late mother loved $2 bills and I inherited about $400+ in them when she passed and I have carried them on trips and forget to use them, for tips or for spending, lol! So now I want to make an effort to unload them, but would they be appreciated as tips for drinks or a few for other service? I can convert them to standard bills if they’d just be received as a nuisance. Would love to know any experience from others who have used them?

Your heart ❤️ is in the right place, however it’s much less complicated for the recipient not to use $2.00 bills

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

As I tried to elude to, I try not to.  But, fair play is fair play and necessary at times.  It's not like it is standard practice for me.  If the business or employee wants to play hardball, I'm happy to pay.  I bend over backward to try to speak the local language. I learned to speak a lot of German when I was stationed in Germany.  Germans are also required to take English in high school or was when I was there.  So, there is no excuse to not meet halfway.  When I was in Italy, I picked up a few keywords right away.   If a business is dependent on U.S. tourism, it should be willing to accept U.S. legal tender, including the $2.00 bill. 

So a New Zealander visiting Orlando should expect businesses to take NZ dollars?  Or is this just for Americans with USD traveling?

1 minute ago, Seville2Cabo said:

So a New Zealander visiting Orlando should expect businesses to take NZ dollars?  Or is this just for Americans with USD traveling?

I said a business/country that derives much/most of its revenue from U.S. tourism.  I happen to know that many businesses in Hollywood, Florida accept Canadian dollars, at an exchange rate, of course.  Canadians flood Hollywood Beach in the winter months.  At least when I lived there many years ago, they did.  Hell, many hotels on Hollywood Beach have french signage out front. 

Let's not forget that many countries use the U.S. dollar as their official currency or currency of choice or their currency is backed up by the U.S. dollar.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

How so?  What evidence do you have that it is an inconvenience to the crewmembers? 

Heck, some local stores here in the Midwest will not even accept them.  Can't imagine trying to use them in a foreign country.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cruisegus said:

Heck, some local stores here in the Midwest will not even accept them.  Can't imagine trying to use them in a foreign country.

I've lived in much of the U.S. and traveled most of it, including the Midwest.  I've lived in IN and MI and many other states from the west coast to the east coast, from the north to the south.  I've never ever had a $2.00 bill refused.  But, that's my experience.  I don't doubt yours.  

• Like 1

We always tip $1 per Diamond drink or bottle of water. We were on the Jewel on Christmas and took along some Florida holiday scratch off lottery tickets. We added a ticket to the usual $2 tip for two drinks, thinking it would be fun.  The servers were puzzled/interested/curious, but not at all familiar with lottery tickets.  It really wasn’t fun for them and we won’t do it again.  I think they generally just prefer cash in denominations that they are familiar with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Getting back to the original post of mine about tipping crew members with $2.00 bills.  Someone said that the use of the bill is strictly for the benefit of the person giving them out or words to that effect.  While I don't disagree with that in total, it is very convenient for me.  And, I'll repeat, I've never had a crew member hint that they would appreciate anything other than a $2.00 bill.  Next, I'm sorry if it is a little inconvenient for the crew member.  While I don't go out of my way to make things inconvenient for ANYBODY, I think many requests that we all make of crew members or any service worker are inconvenient to them.  They bring you your coffee but you want more creamer or sugar or a sugar substitute rather than the one you got, that's inconvenient to the person.  At least the minor inconvenience that I am causing is a profitable one.  There is no doubt in my mind that it is a small inconvenience to go to the ship's cashier and exchange the $2.00 bill(s) for whatever they want in its place.  

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I got a $2.00 bill in change in a store in St. Kitts in 2019.

I attempted to use it to buy groceries in NY later that year.The Cashier rang a bell and the store Manager approached .She said that I was trying to use a fake bill because there is no such thing as a $2.00:bill.

I wish I could say people's ignorance surprises me..."Ohhh what a world, what a world."

16 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

1) Some countries won't accept $2 USD when exchanging money.

2) There are reports that onboard crew stores don't accept $2 bills either.

As I've stated, I take at least $200.00 worth of $2.00 bills on board, when I can get them.  I've used them at Customer Service.  I don't know what else I can say.  If the crew's stores don't accept them, there are other options.  Hell, I bet there isn't much of a task to find other crew members that save them and can be traded in.  I really don't understand the resistance to this issue.  It's a none issue issue.  

EDI\ITED IN:  BTW, I don't have a specific memory of this but I'm fairly sure that I've, at the end of the crews, used the remaining $2.00 bills in the slots on the last evening.  That memory could be flawed though. 

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

As I've stated, I take at least $200.00 worth of $2.00 bills on board, when I can get them.  I've used them at Customer Service.  I don't know what else I can say.  If the crew's stores don't accept them, there are other options.  Hell, I bet there isn't much of a task to find other crew members that save them and can be traded in.  I really don't understand the resistance to this issue.  It's a none issue issue.  

Crew members have told me they don't like them. So that's enough for me.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, newcruzer2 said:

I wish I could say people's ignorance surprises me..."Ohhh what a world, what a world."

In 2008 when Travelers Checks were in vogue I went to my local bank to buy some.The VP of the branch who knew me walked over to greet me.She asked where I was traveling to and I said Alaska.Her reply “someday I want to go to that country”.

• Haha 3