Debating on bidding for an upgrade.

Currently booked for an extended balcony ocean view mid-ship on Oasis.   I’m debating on bidding for a junior suite. 

We’ve always done ocean view balconies, never had a suite.  Is the extra space worth giving up known location/ cabin for chance on a junior suite for an extra $400?  

1 minute ago, Wigginout662 said:

Currently booked for an extended balcony ocean view mid-ship on Oasis.   I’m debating on bidding for a junior suite. 

We’ve always done ocean view balconies, never had a suite.  Is the extra space worth giving up known location/ cabin for chance on a junior suite for an extra $400?  

Not without the additional point for each night you’d usually get but don’t with an upgrade! Especially if you like your current cabin!

Just two of you?  Or more?  The more people, the more you are likely to appreciate the extra space in a junior suite.  

The junior suites have bigger bathrooms with tubs instead of showers.  Does that sound wonderful to you?  Or not do much?

It would not be worth it an extra $400 to DH and me, but it might be worth it to others.

2 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Just two of you?  Or more?  The more people, the more you are likely to appreciate the extra space in a junior suite.  

The junior suites have bigger bathrooms with tubs instead of showers.  Does that sound wonderful to you?  Or not do much?

It would not be worth it an extra $400 to DH and me, but it might be worth it to others.

Just two of us.  I like the idea of a bigger room, bathroom and showering space.  Tub I don’t really care about.  

I was only thinking of putting a low end bid, if we got it, it could be nice to have.  If we don’t I like current room and big balcony. 

Just now, Wigginout662 said:

Just two of us.  I like the idea of a bigger room, bathroom and showering space.  Tub I don’t really care about.  

I was only thinking of putting a low end bid, if we got it, it could be nice to have.  If we don’t I like current room and big balcony. 

The wider balcony with a full table and 2 chairs is great for room service breakfast.   Also comes with 2 loungers.   The walk in closet is really big too!

3 minutes ago, Wigginout662 said:

Yes, you would be putting your hand picked location at risk.  

Take a look at a deck map and look at a couple of your least favorite JS locations.  Imagine you won and were assigned one of those, would you be excited about your upgrade or sorry you had bid?  If you would not be happy to win any JS on the ship, you probably should not bid.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Starry Eyes said:

Yes, you would be putting your hand picked location at risk.  

Take a look at a deck map and look at a couple of your least favorite JS locations.  Imagine you won and were assigned one of those, would you be excited about your upgrade or sorry you had bid?  If you would not be happy to win any JS on the ship, you probably should not bid.

There aren’t any bad JS locations to my knowledge 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Unless I’m mistaken, all the JS’s are mid-ship on Oasis.   Same location as current cabin.   Looks like we’d be risking the extended balcony depth but it would be wider.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Different people evaluate cabins differently.   Some people don’t like deck 14, fearing noise transfer from the pool deck; others want to be near the pool deck.  Some people don’t want connecting cabins; others don’t care.  Some people like angled balconies and others don’t.  That’s why I suggest Wiggin look at the deck plan themselves.  It is easier to give up your current prime location if you like all the location of all the JS’s.

What I'd like to hear is, is there really any chance of winning with a bid towards the lower end of the scale? I just noticed that interiors are sold out for our upcoming cruise, so I thought I would put in a bid to upgrade my daughters cabin.

Also, if you haven't been in a JS before, I say go for it!  No matter what happens, you're still on a cruise. JS are some of our favorite cabins. Granted we haven't  been on the Oasis though.  I remember one sailing, DD opened the door to what she believe was the bathroom - no, it was a walk in closet. We joked that it was big enough to sleep in! Just the right size for her overpacking!

14 hours ago, Wigginout662 said:

If showering space is important to you -- and not tub -- then I'd definitely stay with what you have, especially if you're on the taller side. The tub/shower combo is tough (I'm 6'3" and it's tight on height). The plumbing change raises the tub floor.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wigginout662 said:

Does anyone know if an accessible JS could be assigned from an upgrade.  We don’t need one and I’m not sure I’d like the way the bathroom is set up when I don’t need it. 

Highly doubtful as there are very few of those to begin with, and they always sell out quickly. As for a JS on Oasis class ship, there really are no bad locations and as an added bonus in a JS you will have the ability to book dinner reservations in Coastal Kitchen once you are on board (and with the new MDR menus, that is a real benefit).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Wigginout662 said:

We have never bid more than the minimum on any upgrade because we feel the same way, but we have won six times so far with those minimum bids, and unless we are doing a B2B, we will always bid (minimum of course) on every cruise if we are booked in anything lower than a GS.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JamesEM said:

I would like to bid on an upgrade but, doing a b-2-b and don't want to change cabins since I have the same cabin for both cruises.

Then you don’t want to bid.

4 hours ago, Wigginout662 said:

Does anyone know if an accessible JS could be assigned from an upgrade.  We don’t need one and I’m not sure I’d like the way the bathroom is set up when I don’t need it. 

The odds of receiving an accessible JS are as a RoyalUp are low but are not zero. As a hypothetical example, the person who booked the accessible JS could have to cancel their cruise a week out😕, that accessible JS might go to RoyalUp and you could be the winning bid.  There probably would not be any available JS to trade.  I suppose you could post on the cruise’s roll call to see if there was anybody on the roll call in a JS who wanted to switch (maybe someone in a scooter or somebody with increasing health issues who was worried about getting in and out of their tub), but that would be a long shot.

4 minutes ago, Candleonwater said:

Do paid upgrades happen randomly? Or does RCL wait to see if they can fill those cabins at full price, resulting in upgrades happening at the last minute?

Most of the RoyalUp upgrades happen a few days before the cruise, though they may happen sooner.  If, for example, a nice suite does not sell at full price, it could go to RoyalUp, setting off a cascade of upgrades.  A cancellation of anything better than basic inside cabin might generate a vacancy that could result in RoyalUp upgrades. 

9 minutes ago, Candleonwater said:

Do paid upgrades happen randomly? Or does RCL wait to see if they can fill those cabins at full price, resulting in upgrades happening at the last minute?

Pricing is dynamic all the time. There's no such thing as "full price" even though RCI likes to invent prices from which to put the cabin "on sale".

7 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Pricing is dynamic all the time. There's no such thing as "full price" even though RCI likes to invent prices from which to put the cabin "on sale".

I meant "full price" more as a "the room went for more than what I would be paying if they accepted my bid". That kind of full price.

• Like 1