Shuttle from Bayside back to ship

tbmrt

We were thinking of dropping bags off early, taking shuttle to Bayside and returning to ship afterward.  Read that traffic is absolutely awful coming into the parking lot for VV (Lot G?) and shuttles are often full causing one to wait to return.  Thinking taking an Uber is better.  Has anyone done this?  Any problem getting an Uber from Bayside?

UBER is great. We have called them multiple times after exiting VV ships. The wait is 10-15 min. You pick it up at the center island - about 100 ft from where you exit. 

Bayside is an outdoor mall. Its worth a look, plus a couple good restaurants and several bars. 

• Like 1

Bayside is nice to see, but IMHO, not on embarkation day. I like to UBER to the port and sit my fat butt down and read until my time is called. If I have to worry I’ll be late getting back, I wouldn’t enjoy either experience.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cloud9 Bob said:

Bayside is nice to see, but IMHO, not on embarkation day. I like to UBER to the port and sit my fat butt down and read until my time is called. If I have to worry I’ll be late getting back, I wouldn’t enjoy either experience.

That works in Florida, which is obviously what is being discussed here.  Just a note that if cruising from Barcelona, they will not let you into the terminal more than 30 minutes before your assigned time.  You will be sent to a nice outdoor plaza where you can sit or to a coffee shop adjacent to the plaza.  

• Like 1

On 3/14/2023 at 4:58 AM, Cloud9 Bob said:

I've heard mixed things on if VV will let you just sit at the terminal prior to your boarding time.  I'm stuck with a 230 boarding time.  I'll be in a hotel the night before and likely have a noon checkout.  I am MORE than content to relax with a book for an hour (or more!) but wasn't sure this would be ok?  I'd rather be at the port so I'm not stressing, just like you said.  Or, I'm even happy to sit in my car.  Anyway, just wondering what your "waiting around port" experience was like.  Thank you!

In Miami, they will let you stand up in a like with other people who have the same designated time you have.  So yes, they let you enter the terminal.  Standing in this line will not get you on board any sooner than arriving 30 minutes before your time.  There would be no difference between reading while standing in the line vs. sitting in your car.  Many months ago, you could make reservations from inside the terminal prior to boarding, but no more.  In my experience, check in and boarding starts right on time.  Early boarding times are right on time, later ones may run just a few (like 10) minutes early.

If boarding in Barcelona, they will not allow you into the terminal at all until 30 minutes before your assigned time.  We were 45 minutes early and were sent to the plaza next to the terminal and the coffee shop on the other side of the plaza was also mentioned.  We returned at exactly 30 minutes before and the first VV person tried to send us away again, but a supervisor came up and over-ruled him, allowing us right in. We were processed immediately, and then had a short wait before boarding started.

The physical lay out between the two terminals is different, which is probably why the protocols are different....and also where some of the on line confusion comes in.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2023 at 6:40 AM, tbmrt said:

We were thinking of dropping bags off early, taking shuttle to Bayside and returning to ship afterward.  Read that traffic is absolutely awful coming into the parking lot for VV (Lot G?) and shuttles are often full causing one to wait to return.  Thinking taking an Uber is better.  Has anyone done this?  Any problem getting an Uber from Bayside?

We ended up hiring a Lyft to get us back because the shuttle just stopped coming after 1:30p. We waited till 2:30, and when no shuttle came back we called a Lyft that we shared with another couple that was stranded there.  VV apologized and gave us onboard credit for the mistake. They said the shuttle is supposed to run until at least 3:00pm if not later. 

Lyft is super easy, hundreds of them in Miami.

On 3/16/2023 at 12:09 PM, cantgetin said:

In Miami, they will let you stand up in a like with other people who have the same designated time you have.  So yes, they let you enter the terminal.  Standing in this line will not get you on board any sooner than arriving 30 minutes before your time.  There would be no difference between reading while standing in the line vs. sitting in your car.  Many months ago, you could make reservations from inside the terminal prior to boarding, but no more.  In my experience, check in and boarding starts right on time.  Early boarding times are right on time, later ones may run just a few (like 10) minutes early.

This is really helpful, thank you!  I'm not trying to board early, so that's not an issue. I just like the peace of mind of being at the terminal with time to spare.  And then I am content to read a book and it sounds like I will do so in the comfort of my car until boarding time...standing around in a line isn't suprer enjoyable.  thank you! 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 11:13 AM, Hydro ergo said:

I've heard mixed things on if VV will let you just sit at the terminal prior to your boarding time.  I'm stuck with a 230 boarding time.  I'll be in a hotel the night before and likely have a noon checkout.  I am MORE than content to relax with a book for an hour (or more!) but wasn't sure this would be ok?  I'd rather be at the port so I'm not stressing, just like you said.  Or, I'm even happy to sit in my car.  Anyway, just wondering what your "waiting around port" experience was like.  Thank you!

I got to the port at around 12PM for a 1:30 PM line. After giving my bag to a porter I sat on one of the round concrete bollards and read my book. Two or three port employees (in VV uniforms) asked me at different times if I'd like to take the shuttle to Bayside. I just said no thanks, I'm a local and have been there more times than I care to. They were all polite and just went and asked someone else. That was about it. As a matter of fact, one was very cool and hung out talking to me for awhile. His name was Yakov and showed me pictures on his phone that he took on opening day when Richard Branson was there.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 11:13 AM, Hydro ergo said:

Anyway, just wondering what your "waiting around port" experience was like.  Thank you!

There is very limited seating outside Terminal V, maybe 10-15 concrete benches (enough to seat less than 30 people).  However, if you have a 2:30 boarding time, you'll be standing outside in the 2:30 Que with 50 - 100 of your new best friends - reading a book.  Once you enter the lovely Terminal V you'll be checking in (standing), going through security screening (stripping), and boarding the ship (running).  No time to sit now!  🙂

8 minutes ago, cheryl8503 said:

If you're in a RS suite can you wait in the lounge area for suite guests?

Yes, after the terminal opens to incoming sailors.  You are the first ones allowed in, usually between 12:30 and 1.

• 8 months later...

I just heard from the shuttle service that I use to get from Fort Lauderdale to POM that I was the only one going at noon so I have the option of going at 11 or finding another way. So if I go at 11 I am thinking I will be at Terminal V by noon. Ugh, because my boarding time is 1:30. So those concrete benches - do you think they would be all taken by noon. I'm content to sit and read but standing for an hour and a half - not so much. 

35 minutes ago, Wildcatllamas said:

I just heard from the shuttle service that I use to get from Fort Lauderdale to POM that I was the only one going at noon so I have the option of going at 11 or finding another way. So if I go at 11 I am thinking I will be at Terminal V by noon. Ugh, because my boarding time is 1:30. So those concrete benches - do you think they would be all taken by noon. I'm content to sit and read but standing for an hour and a half - not so much. 

There were 2 of us, and 6 months ago we took a Lyft from our FLL hotel to port of Miami.  The hotel said it would be about $150, but internet said way less....it was about $50 and took under an hour.  At that price, it was the cheapest and most direct form of public transportation I could find and it worked well.

As to the benches.....flip a coin.  We've typically found the area around terminal V on embarkation day to be a MESS.  BCN is much better!

• Thanks 1