Best Port for shopping

Rallytime1975

I think of Mazatlan and PV as being best for shopping for Mexican souvenirs of the flea market variety.  Both ports have lots of stalls with all of the tourist stuff available at reasonable prices, "almost free just for you, my friend."   My wife has a jewelry store (actually, it is a chain) that she likes in PV, and two furniture/artwork stores that she likes for window shopping (but it is too expensive to ship items home -- I had to drag a twenty pound artwork home one trip -- I bought a wheeled shopping bag/cart for it).  

I have never price compared among the three ports, but I like the "flea market" atmosphere in PV and Mazatlan better than Cabo.  But Cabo has just as much merchandise and plenty of stores in the Marina. -- one right next to the tender dock.

We totally agree with the above two posters, Ashland gives you two easy and popular spots to get to.  We are in Mazatlan right now for a couple weeks, a visit on a HAL ship just before covid-19 (March 2019) convinced us to come for a proper visit asap.  It's a beautiful historical city and well worth a bit of a wander in the Centro and Mercado districts if you get the chance.

Edited by canadjineh
Spelling - stupid autocorrect

23 hours ago, Rallytime1975 said:

We are going to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlán, Cabo San Lucas  What is the best port for shopping? 

Shopping for what? Cabo is fine for trinkets and fishing gear, but PV has a wide and varied selection. I also confess to a weakness for the Walmart Macro Plaza in PV.

7 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Shopping for what? Cabo is fine for trinkets and fishing gear, but PV has a wide and varied selection. I also confess to a weakness for the Walmart Macro Plaza in PV.

We usually have our taxi drop us off at the Walmart before heading back onboard.

We also have a weakness for Walmart and Costco where ever we travel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, kristicruise said:

Good morning, I found these woven bags in Cabo. I was wondering if Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlán would have the same. image.png.a963b37d36ce9b14e7a850b647ebfd0f.png

It's very possible...but you can never be absolutely sure...best of luck.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2023 at 7:16 PM, Ashland said:

We usually have our taxi drop us off at the Walmart before heading back onboard.

We also have a weakness for Walmart and Costco where ever we travel.

May I ask why.  What type of merchandise entices you?

I’m a sucker for foreign grocery stores, and my motto at home is “If Costco doesn’t have it, you don’t need it,” so I’m curious to what I’d be missing if I don’t explore them. 

38 minutes ago, NewSalt said:

May I ask why.  What type of merchandise entices you? I’m a sucker for foreign grocery stores, and my motto at home is “If Costco doesn’t have it, you don’t need it,” so I’m curious to what I’d be missing if I don’t explore them. 

Costco and Walmart are shockingly familiar. I remember going to Costco Tijuana for the first time and being so surprised that it felt virtually indistinguishable from the San Diego Chula Vista Costco. Yes it had more Mexican and Central America goods, but 90% was just like the other Costco I go to.

Even more shocking was going to Price Club in Costa Rica and knowing exactly where everything was because it was just like my main Costco in San Diego, which was the original Price Club.

I like Costco and Walmart in Mexico, but if I could only go to one store in Puerto Vallarta, it would be Hyper Soriana, which is a great local grocery store. I love snacks, sweets and drinks in foreign countries.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Costco and Walmart are shockingly familiar. I remember going to Costco Tijuana for the first time and being so surprised that it felt virtually indistinguishable from the San Diego Chula Vista Costco. Yes it had more Mexican and Central America goods, but 90% was just like the other Costco I go to.

Even more shocking was going to Price Club in Costa Rica and knowing exactly where everything was because it was just like my main Costco in San Diego, which was the original Price Club.

I like Costco and Walmart in Mexico, but if I could only go to one store in Puerto Vallarta, it would be Hyper Soriana, which is a great local grocery store. I love snacks, sweets and drinks in foreign countries.

Thanks....Where is the Hyper Soriana? Sounds like something we would like to check out on our next itinerary that port stops in PV.

11 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Thanks....Where is the Hyper Soriana? Sounds like something we would like to check out on our next itinerary that port stops in PV.

The best one for most tourists is the probably one in the Plaza Caracol, very close to Costco and kind of behind the Fiesta Americana. In Spanish it is Soriana Híper. There is also one down by Secrets Vallarta Bay.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you go shopping in PV, I found the walmart lacking in souvenir options. We actually saw a lot of the same for better prices at the Malecon with the added benefit of supporting local businesses and better selections.

On 5/8/2023 at 7:42 AM, kristicruise said:

Good morning, I found these woven bags in Cabo. I was wondering if Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlán would have the same. image.png.a963b37d36ce9b14e7a850b647ebfd0f.png

I found these woven bags in Ensenada last week.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We live in PV for part of the year and think the best shopping is when we get home (in the USA) and have easy access to online shopping :).  In Puerto Vallarta we have bought some interesting art work (not to kind of junk you would find in Walmart).  In fact, Puerto Vallarta has a very active art community with numerous galleries (many specializing in the work of Mexican artists), Huichol art, and some interesting artisans who sell their work at various places around the city.  

For those who want to buy typical Mexican souvenirs there are plenty of places (including the large flea market located near the Rio Cujale) that sell tons of that stuff.  Just make sure it is truly made in Mexico and not imported from China or India :).

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2023 at 5:39 PM, Hlitner said:

We live in PV for part of the year and think the best shopping is when we get home (in the USA) and have easy access to online shopping :).  In Puerto Vallarta we have bought some interesting art work (not to kind of junk you would find in Walmart).  In fact, Puerto Vallarta has a very active art community with numerous galleries (many specializing in the work of Mexican artists), Huichol art, and some interesting artisans who sell their work at various places around the city.  

For those who want to buy typical Mexican souvenirs there are plenty of places (including the large flea market located near the Rio Cujale) that sell tons of that stuff.  Just make sure it is truly made in Mexico and not imported from China or India :).

Hank

Do you go to Bucerias for pottery and such?

4 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Do you go to Bucerias for pottery and such?

Been to Bucerias, many times, and enjoy walking around, the beach, and a meal.  There used to be an excellent rock group that played at a local venue, but they are long gone.  Some folks fled to Bucerias to get away from all the development in PV, but now Bucerias is also becoming over developed.

• 3 months later...