Dinner reservations….main dining rooms

lcantw3658

First time on NCL. We are on Breakaway out of Rome 6/5. I understand needing reservations for the specialty restaurants and I’ve already booked those but are reservations really necessary for the two main dining rooms? There’s only 2 of us and don’t mind waiting 10-15 minutes for a table because we really don’t want to be tied to a specific time every night, especially after being on excursions all day.  Thank you 

We had 3 of us and I made reservations for dining room for the nights we knew we wanted to eat there. The lady at the check in counter said it wasn’t necessary for small groups.. Yet one evening the line became very long and at one point the lady at the check in counter was directing the remainder of the line to the other dining room (yet another line) so right at opening time it became full. Glad we had reservations. 

We dine at the "less formal" (longs not required) main dining room early and have never had to wait for more than a couple of minutes.

When we leave there is sometimes a queue and the use of pagers but that is uncommon and you soon learn when that is likely to occur; based on people wanting to go to or come from the shows.

We usually make reservations for the MDR - if not going to a specialty restaurant.  Only frustration on Breakaway and Escape - line for dinner - same line for those with reservations and those without - seems it would be easy to break line in two - on left side reservations - right side - walk ups.  It would make things easier for all and less waiting for those with reservations in  line.  Just my opinion - never had more than a 10 or 15 minute wait - but then why make reservations?

• Like 1

I plan on making reservations for the MDR for our July trip on the Prima. 
Although there will only be three of us my father likes the comfort of knowing we have a reservation.  We prefer a later seating so hopefully that will help.  We just got off a Celebrity cruise where we also had a set seating for the MDR and there were nights in which a preferred restaurant had long lines. 

To this point--is there one MDR that is preferable?  I think they both have the same menus.

I just got off the Joy a few weeks ago.  We ate in the main dining rooms every night except for the 1 specialty dinner in our package.   Taste and Savory were no problem, at the most the wait was about 10 minutes.  However one night we wanted to try out the Manhattan and were told that it would be a 30 minute wait.  So we went back to one of the others.  A lot of people eat in the buffet, at least that was the case when I was there.  The ship was quite full.

12 hours ago, sharonann24 said:

I plan on making reservations for the MDR for our July trip on the Prima....To this point--is there one MDR that is preferable?  I think they both have the same menus.

In my opinion, Hudson's has better views and more pleasing decor.

Prima does not have Taste or Savor.  It has Hudson's and the Commodore room, along with the buffet and Local Grill.  My presence at this point is Hudson's.  We never do the buffet for dinner.  

How was Hudson's for breakfast?  And I am actually thinking of Hudson's for embarkation day.

15 hours ago, lcantw3658 said:

First time on NCL. We are on Breakaway out of Rome 6/5. I understand needing reservations for the specialty restaurants and I’ve already booked those but are reservations really necessary for the two main dining rooms? There’s only 2 of us and don’t mind waiting 10-15 minutes for a table because we really don’t want to be tied to a specific time every night, especially after being on excursions all day.  Thank you 

Reservations are not needed for the 3 main dining rooms. We like to eat earlier and then get on with the evening’s entertainment. And never have had a “long” wait. 

I usually make reservation but that's just me.  At least with a reservation once you get to the front of the line you'll be seated.  Without a reservation you wait in the line and then many times get a buzzer and wait some more.

That being said, it seems that as the cruise goes on the line pretty much disappears.  We found that the first night in the dining rooms are often a zoo and try to do a specialty the first night.

But, if you don't mind the possible wait and want to be more flexible then you absolutely do not need a reservation.

Enjoy!

• Like 1